1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fabrication Category

Discussion in 'Support' started by roddyo, Nov 7, 2009.

1. roddyo

roddyo Senior Member

Manipulator of the Planet
    What about a fabrication category?

There has got to be some guys with sick fabrication skills here. What about a category to keep the shopbuilt stuff in one area?

I think between Old Iron and TGIF would be perfect.:)

Just a thought.:beatsme

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  2. adam21584

adam21584 Well-Known Member

I would like to see some custom built stuff. Share some ideas.

3. nedly05

nedly05 Senior Member

I would love to see a fabricating section! I do some fabricating in the winter time, I have a few things planned for this winter. I would'nt mind getting a few peices of your steel either roddyo! Wish it was closer!

4. LonestarCobra

LonestarCobra Well-Known Member

Heck yeah. I like shop built items. Sometimes there are better ideas from shops than factories.

5. Abscraperguy

Abscraperguy Senior Member

Oh yeah there's nothing like the guys working in the dirt everyday to build stuff that WORKS. And who needs a university degree to build good products? The founder and owner of Ktec scrapers I believe never finished high school. His first scraper got built after spending many thousands of hours on the seat of a tractor and watching how stuff worked. Down the agriculture side the two engineers at Westfield augers will tell you they both have a 9th grade education. One of them has 5th grade and 4th. Now don't get me wrong, education is very important and life is very difficult without a good one but book learning only teaches so much. Ok ok I'll cut this off. This sounds like a rant.

6. roddyo

roddyo Senior Member

New Fabricating Section

That steel pile is handy to have around Nedly. I'm glad my buddy went into the scrap business.:) BTW are you getting any sleep yet?

Thanks for the response guys.
    I guess the best way to get a fabrication section is to create the need for one, so lets do it.

I friend of mine just built a new brush burner and got it back from the Fab Shop last week.

This Burner would be a good start to set the Tone for this section. The last thing we want is a bunch of people pulling random crap out of the junkpile and welding it together then calling it Fabrication.

Arkansas Brush Burner
    Patent Pending:D

Attached Files:

7. willie59

willie59 Super Moderator

Service Manager
    That's pretty sweet Rodney! I'd say that Deutz 914 doesn't have any problem turning the blower. :cool2

If your machine is dead and won't crank, you could use my monster gargage booster to start it. I've already posted the pics in another earlier thread, here's a link to it. ;)https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=10619

8. roddyo

roddyo Senior Member

The Duetz should have been a 2 or 3 cylinder but the fours are easy to find here. The pully size needs to be adjusted. It makes plenty of air but turns to many rpms. The motor needs to be slowed down a lot.

Nice booster ATCO. That's a good add for this section.
    I wish I had a 12/24 volt gas powered booster.

9. willie59

willie59 Super Moderator

Service Manager
    The 2 and 3 cyl Deutz vibrate too much. Even the 914 vibrates a bit, but nothing like the 2 or 3 cyl version.

Is there something holding the engine at a high rev?

10. roddyo

roddyo Senior Member

That's what I've always heard.

Around here a Duetz will burn around a quart per cylinder per hour pumping water so most people either go with a 4 or 6 cylinder depending on how there wellhead is geared.

I think it has to be run wide open to get the fan speed high enough. I will probably find out tommorrow since I will have it on my job. When we get the pully's swapped around we should be able to run at a High Idle and get enough air. We Hope.:beatsme

11. willie59

willie59 Super Moderator

Service Manager

Ahhh, I got ya! Your saying that right now you have to have the engine at a high rev to produce sufficient air, and that you would like to slow the engine down and still produce air. If that's so, then you need a larger pulley on engine shaft and/or smaller pulley on fan shaft. This will allow you to decrease engine revs and still have a high turning blower fan. Guarantee it! ;)

12. roddyo

roddyo Senior Member

Today's the first time I saw it ATCO.

As soon as I saw it I thought that's a good underdrive.:pointhead

Swapping the pully's on the fan and engine would have been a good start during the fabwork.

13. nedly05

nedly05 Senior Member

Yeah I'm getting some sleep, I try to get to bed somewhat early, my wife does the night feedings, then I get up early and take care of her until its time to go to work, (or on saturday until wifey wakes up) It's working out well, shes actually starting to sleep for like 5 hrs at a clip so thats good progress!

I will try to remember to snap a few pics of some of the stuff I have built. I built a set of forks for the loader, the type that clamp on to the bucket. I built a log rack for the dump truck, it goes inside the box so the logs dont spread the sides out. This winter I have some welding to do also, Need to do some hardfacing, and weld some new pieces on a few buckets, probably going to re-line the box on the 5500. After the winter sets in I usually come up with some welding projects! I really enjoy that stuff!

14. roddyo

roddyo Senior Member

D6C in Paraguay Setup to pull a Chopper

Here's some pics of a South American Setup.

It's a D6C Setup to pull a 12 foot Chopper.

A Chopper is like a flat roller but has blades.

That's why they run a angle blade instead of a straight blade. The angle blade is a little over 12 feet wide.

If you will notice the "Tree Pusher" is the width of the blade and the drawbar has been beefed up. Also the blade has been built up around a foot higher. The lights are for running 24 hours a day.

Attached Files:

• d6c2.JPG
      d6c2.JPG
      File size:
      240.2 KB
      Views:
    • d6c.JPG
      d6c.JPG
      File size:
      245.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  15. td25c

td25c Senior Member

Thats pretty neet roddyo.It's interesting to see different ways that people use to clear ground around the world.I've got a little clearing job coming up and I'l put the "Rome K/G" blade on the 16-B fiat and post a picture.You will love it.I am all for a "home built" or "fabrication" forum on the site.My 87 year old grandma makes a great "home made" apple pie.

16. Deeretime

Deeretime Senior Member

superintendent
    Excelent idea guys i am a aprenticed welder that turned back to dirt mover and i got alot of custom attachments and cool stuff that i have built. Ill get some pictures tomorrow of my new invention that i just finnished, it mounts on the hoe of my 710 backhoe and it attaches every standard bobcat attachment to my machine. I just tryed it on my chain trencher and our hole auger it works great! and i even built it with shear pins so it breaks the pins of before it destroys the fragile attachments

17. FL450B

FL450B Member

jap bike service manager/voke teacher
    Check out machinebuilders.net for fabs

18. td25c

td25c Senior Member

Another one I like is farm show magazine at www.farmshow.com Alot of good ideas & fabricating. Im going to get the 30 year anniversary edition book,I was in our local tractor supply store and they had it in stock.It had alot of neet projects in it.

19. Taylortractornu

Taylortractornu Charter Member

Privvate landfill operator/manager
    Id also like to see a fabrication section. I build all my own attachments, so far I have built a thummb for my old 3550 Ford hoe when I was 18, and a set of hook on loader forks for it. I have also built my own thumb for my Komatsu mini ex and a tree / stump bucket for my Case skid steer , and a set of pallet forks with a grapple and an upside down wood splitter . Now Im gathering the stuff to build a small leveling box scraper for finishing topsoil. and adding a grapple to my stump bucket. Im also building a brush grapple soon.

20. roddyo

roddyo Senior Member

Hill Billy Hay Fork

First off I'm going to say I have no idea how this works.

It's a 3 point hay fork that has been turned upside down and used on a pickup. :D

This would also be a good time for everyone that has give me down the road for moving a D4H on a one ton to send me a PM thanking me for my Safety Efforts down here in Arkansas:D

Where the top link goes is attached to the reciever hitch.

Where the lift arms go has SMALL chains that are thrown over the fifth wheel in the bed.

How you pick the hay up I don't know?:beatsme

Sorry I didn't take more pics but down here screwing around the back of a guys truck is a good way to find out how tough he is or what kind of gun he carries.;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009