• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

F650 ford service truck

Frere

So I have a 2007 f650 ford service truck with a c7 cat with 22000 hrs on it. Motor is wore out and has been over heated a couple of times. It has wax63710 motor in it. I have found a unused military surplus motor for it fmm12803. It is set up for 24volt. Was wondering if the ecm will work with 12 volt and if all sensors and injectors will work with 12 volts system or if would have to change out sensors and ecm and injectors with old motor

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I’m not positive but I don’t think any of it will work. If you put 12 volts to a 24 volt system I think it would throw some kind of low voltage to ecm code. Next would be the arrangement number of the cat. I’m no guru but depending on what the FMM engine was built for it could have different pistons and camshaft. I had a similar truck years ago that needed an engine. We found a match from someplace in Florida that parted out old school buses. I gotta believe that would be easier than trying to re wire a 24 volt system.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I concur with Mike L. That sounds like a project that’s going to be full of surprises and expensive learning experiences. Especially when C7’s are relatively common with good reman support.

Frere

Well I got the motor for truck. Only had to swap the wiring harness and sensors and ecm from old motor. Did not have to swap injectors or high pressure pump as it does not matter if 12 volt or 24 volts system the all components work on 12 volts. Only had to change the sensors as the wiring harness was different from the 24 volt system. Motor runs great and has good power as well.

Old Doug

Its always good when something works out and the person asking the question tells how it turned out. I hate trying to search for a answer to something and find the same question ask but thats as far as it went.

Frere

Yes I like to let people how it turned out as well. Hopefully it helps some other people out when they want to do stuff like this. Nothing is impossible it just takes a little more time and effort