• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

F-250 to F-450 6.4 Powerstroke anyone?

Paystar

Occupation
Retired trucking owner/operator
Just wondering, anybody have a 2008 Ford Superduty with the new 6.4 Powerstroke engine? I'm wondering how you find the fuel mileage. I've been reading many of the tests in different magazines and some say they are averaging 19 mpg combined city/hwy. but some I've read reported 8.6 mpg. That's horrible. Also some tests reported a small delay in the throttle response. How are they for power? Just wondering if they are worth the extra money over a gasser, seeing as how gas is cheaper than diesel over here. I was using a 2006 F-350 srw crewcab with the 6.0 L Powerstroke and liked the power, but it's fuel mileage was horrible compared to the old 7.3 L.

DPF's and EGR suck!:Banghead:(:mad:

06bowtie_guy

Where you located in Ontario??

Guy at work bought a new F-350 srw and doing a mix with no load he is around the 17 mark. Imagine the low numbers are from people who are towing with their trucks??

HeyUvaVT

we have an 08 f450 with the 4.88 rear end and when towing our 16k lbs trailer we get about 7.5mpg when no trailer we get around 11mpg horrible...but..it pulls like a freight train....

JP'S

Occupation
owner; operator
I have a 04 6.0 liter and get 15 around town 18 to 19 on highway. A buddy has a 08 6.4 and gets about 12, no highway time on truck yet. Prices suck here in Florida for fuel 4.89 a gallon.

jrtraderny

I've got an 08 F350 with the 6.4. Automatic, 3.73 rear gears,Supercab , longbox. Pulls like a D8 , but the mileage sucks. The absolute best I've ever gotten was 16 on a trip. Averages about 9-11 mpg mixed towing and everyday driving. But most of my driving is short hops hardly ever over 6-12 miles max.
jr

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
15 is the average that I hear of both Dodge and GMs do better GMs do the the best, and I don't trust the 6.4 one bit. All 3 do the close to the same power wise. The problem is the DPF through the aftermarket you can remove them, but good bye warranty.

Paystar

Occupation
Retired trucking owner/operator
Ya, just as I thought. Horrible, just like the big trucks.:( Good thing we're saving the environment eh:D:pointhead I'm thinking a gas powered Silverado may be a better choice. I hear they're the better of the gas pickups.:beatsme

So someone is making an aftermarket kit to remove the dpf? I've seen the new programmers in the magazines but they all work with the dpf. I did see an egr removal kit for the 6.0 power stroke though. I would think using those programmers with the dpf would cause frequent regens that would make the fuel usage suffer even more.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Yes it would thats why the DPF has to go. If you go with GM gasser get the 8.1 it gets about the same mileage as the 6.0 and is a better engine and comes with the Allison trans.

joispoi

I get 18 mpg in my stock 7.3L F250 (1996). This is an extended cab with crappy 2 ply tires- they were on the truck when I bought it. My friend gets 15 mpg in his 2005 6.0 F350. My other friend gets about 11-12 in his 2008 F350 6.4L.

greywynd

Interesting...I was just roughly figuring that I get about 16mpg in my F350...an '89 with the original 7.3. Sooo...it takes me longer to pull the weight up a hill, or sometimes just to get somewhere...but my mileage isn't much difference than the brand new trucks. No wonder I'm in no hurry to pay a whole lot of money for a newer truck!!

NL1CAT

Occupation
Operator
Why don't build a lpg set in a gas truck?
Or don't they have that stuff overthere?
You can buy lpg at mostly every gasstation in Canada.
Hav'nt got a clou what lpg cost though :confused:

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
My 1999 F350 with a 7.3 and a 6 speed manual gets between 19 and 21 depending what I am doing with it. Granted, I don't pull anything with it. I plow a lot of snow in the winter and have never checked it then. It seems from the people I know who are running automatics get about 15. I had one truck with an automatic in it, hated it from day one and will never have another one. I too am in no hurry to get something different.:Banghead

capt_met

i think the main diffrence in milage between the trucks mentioned will be the gearing. an F450 with a 4.88 will always get worse milage than a F250 with higher gearing when not towing. if your needs don't include towing then the gas engine would probably be best. if towing often and heavy stay diesel and pay the piper. i went from a 3500 duramax allison w/ 3.73 rear end to a 4500 w/ a 5.13. i get the same milage when towing heavy with both trucks but when light the 4500 gives up about 3-4 mpg. its the cost of doing bussiness. i have a '94 ford 7.3na w/ a 4/10 rear end and 5 speed. 17 mpg on highway empty. not much if any diffrence in city driving. when towing heavy lowest milage of the 3 trucks i mentioned. a smaller run around truck is getting more appealing everyday.
good luck,

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I know people running Ford F250 and Chevy 2500 gas jobs with automatics getting 13 and 14 on the road. The one I had got 12 on a good day. When I look at engine life and maintenance Diesel is the only way to go for me. Granted, gear ratio has a lot to do with mileage. If I were to consider a gas job, it still would have 5 or 6 speed standard.

Red Bank

I have a 08 F450 CC 4X4 with an 11' service body and 4.88 gears and get about 9mpg. I had the same weight in a 99 F350 CC 4X4 with a 8' service body with a chip and got 13mpg. I am not happy with the fuel mileage with the 08, the power is a little better than the 99, even with it chipped. I love the 08's built in brake controller and love the towing mode with the auto trans, but if this wasn't a company truck I could not drive it with that kind of fuel milage, it drives me crazy, I have tried every kind of driving to get it to improve but nothing works unless I run 45mph on the highway:eek:But our other 08 truck is getting around 7mpg, so the Boss is happy with mine, but after the 99 I am not. We talked about going to gas engines but I talked the Boss out of it, read some RV magazines and see the trouble the gas engines are having.

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
watch the oil coolers cracking on them our sales man had one crack and caught in just in time it didn't hurt the engine pushes oil into the cooling system truck was down for about a month while ford tore it apart and put it back together those 6.4liters suck go back to the 7.3 and make it emission legal it was way better than the 6.0 cant keep heads or turbos in em adn the 6.4 caught fire when they first came out and now the oil cooler problems plus the bad fuel millage

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I have not heard a thing good about the 6.0 liter Powerstrokes. Even the techs will tell you the verdict is still out on the 6.4's. I know guys that have gotten rid of the 6.0's and gone back to 7.3's

Red Bank

Bobcatmechanic, we have learned about the 6.0's head bolt problem, on the Boss's truck we installed ARP head studs, have not had any problems with it. With 4 inch exhaust, ARE intake, Diablo programmer, he is very happy with it.

Red Bank

Greg, the secret to 6.0's is to stay away from 03,04 models. The 05,06 and 07 are doing fine for us, as long as you use ARP head studs:). We have one foreman that parks his 08 F550 and drives a 99 F350 home every chance he gets, he loves the 7.3's. I think the glory days of Ford diesels was 99-02, 7.3 years. We have everything from a 92 7.3 IDI to a 95 Powerstroke to 99 Powerstrokes to 6.0's to two 6.4's. I like to drive all of them because you can feel improvements in the power and sound up through the years, but reliability seemed to stop in 02.