• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Extra lift capacity with foam filled tires?

Framer

If a machine that does not require ballast were equipped with foam filled tires how much more could it lift at distance? How much more stable would it be. Looking at buying a second machine. Don't usually lift much more than a couple thousand pounds at a time so would like to know how much the actual tipping load would be at distance. Would these tires enable you to damage your boom more easily? Maybe a 6000 lb machine would do instead a 9000. 6000 just seems small for a jib, or a 18x18 2x6 framed wall with plywood and a box out. Which machine is the most under or over rated in what it will actually lift. Is a 6000lb machine big enough for framing a house including trusses? Never really been on one.:canada:) Thank you.

I AM IRONMAN

Occupation
Sales & Consultant Rep.
I don't think you would want to go over the rated capacity of the machine. The extra weight might make it lift a little more, but you could end up doing something very dangerous or breaking something on the machine. There will be a tag somewhere on the machine showing the rated capacity of the machine.
I've worked with this type of equipment, and they work very well in the right application.
It's not too uncommon to see these machines tip over, and you don't want to be the one responsible if something crashes. Or you end up damaging a lot of trusses, sheet rock or whatever.
If you were getting one, I would suggest getting a good 6000# capacity unit. You don't have to reach any higher than 30' unless your building apartment buildings, or something larger than your typical house.
The 8000# Capacity machines are too big for getting around most homesites.
They are expensive, so you better have a lot of work for one; they can save a lot of labor. If you want one mainly to set trusses, a crane is a lot faster.
I've set some of these up with man baskets, they are safe as long as you follow the OSHA guidelines. Lots of rules about these machines from OSHA!
As far as brands are concerned, you should make sure there is a dealer close bye when you need parts and service. Some of the brands out there are cheaper to buy, but no support for the machine.
Good Luck!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Anything you do to a machine that changes or modifies the original design of a machine from the manufacturer will put liability responsibility square on you. If you were to add ballast to increase lifting capacity, then extend boom with weight outside of what the chart limits, and the machine tips, breaks, does property damage, or injures/kills someone, the manufacturer is no longer liable, you are. Wouldn't want to do that. ;)

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
If a machine that does not require ballast were equipped with foam filled tires how much more could it lift at distance? How much more stable would it be. Looking at buying a second machine. Don't usually lift much more than a couple thousand pounds at a time so would like to know how much the actual tipping load would be at distance. Would these tires enable you to damage your boom more easily? Maybe a 6000 lb machine would do instead a 9000. 6000 just seems small for a jib, or a 18x18 2x6 framed wall with plywood and a box out. Which machine is the most under or over rated in what it will actually lift. Is a 6000lb machine big enough for framing a house including trusses? Never really been on one.:canada:) Thank you.

I doubt you would gain all that much in lifting capacity. I would figure only the two in the rear would add much capacity. If you added 400 to each tires in the rear the gain would be small. If you had an accident and injury it will not take them long to figure you were over capacity.

Something like a older 844 Lull with 23 feet forward reach will generally tip lift rear tires when over loaded. Newer machines with longer reach will have boom failure. The first sign and you may not see it at first is the boom section starting to bulge out where they lap into each other. Like a truck when you over load it and work it it cost you in the long run.

As far as what is the most under rated that would take a tilt table to find out and many machines. I am sure like scaffolding there is a safety factor required. Scaffolding is 4:1 but I know a like is not that great.

Not saying I have never lifted over capacity ( light load long reach) when reaching but I clear everyone far far off the area.

Pettibone recently claimed they bumped their ratings without changing the machine much it is on their web site. Over rated capacity is playing with fire.

I can get my machines just about anywhere and the newer ones have tighter radius. Get the right machine for what you expect to lift.

Last edited: