• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Extended service intervals on Deere equipment

excavator

I just billed out 3 services on Deere wheel loaders, a 644K Hybrid, 624K and a 744H. The K series are 500 hour services and the 744H is 250 hours. The oil and filters alone came to just under $2000.00 which I think is absolutely absurd. The machines are used in a topsoil operation so not being worked hard but it is a dusty environment. I use Plus 50 Deere oil and Deere filters and I'm wondering about looking at doing oils samples and going with extended service intervals. I'm just wondering what others are doing? Are there good cost savings to be had by going this way? Looking for information to point me in the right direction. TIA

Zewnten

How much do these machines cost to replace? How much is a repair bill because the service was delayed a bit longer than planned due to a rush job and something failed? How much to rent a machine while yours is down?

This is my experience with extended service intervals. Equipment already gets pushed by operators and with the tolerances on modern machinery the down time will easily eat all the savings of extending service intervals when the oil quickly and unexpectedly fails.

James Sorochan

Occupation
x-water & sewer construction Now farmer.
How many litres or quarts of oil in total and how many filters to do all three? Oil samples are a good way to get some baseline information to see what can be done on extended oil change intervals. I think Nige might have something to say on this subject. When Deere started doing the 500 Hour oil change intervals I usually changed oil maybe 100 hours before that. I was taking oil samples at the time. You need to take working conditions into account like dust, temperature, etc.

Shimmy1

Probably $600k worth of equipment that has done over 1000 hours worth of work, and there is concern over $2000 worth of preventative maintenance?

I just purchased a dozer that had been running 1500 hours on transmission oil, when it's supposed to be changed every 1000 hours, or 6 months. The sample came back elevated particle count, run cleanup filters or kidney loop. Maybe if it had been changed when it was supposed to, it wouldn't have had a bad sample? Also, the filter restriction switch wiring was faulty. I haven't cut the filter, I'm waiting until I get another sample to see if I'm going to have to have a conversation with the seller about a failing transmission. The previous owners are those type of guys that have the opinion that they'd go broke if they changed fluids by the book. Absolutely ridiculous.

Moral of the story? Change the frickin oils when the book says and everyone will be happy, including the next owner. Who might be me.

Last edited:

excavator

I probably should have been more clear in the original post. Personally I am not in favor of extended intervals, in the 45+ years of doing this I've always been one to use quality oil, never mix brands, use quality filters and service on time. I have however read enough about extended service intervals to know that there could be something to it. No, it's not my money but it is a 20+ year customer so I do feel that I need to be as informed as possible.

Shimmy1

I probably should have been more clear in the original post. Personally I am not in favor of extended intervals, in the 45+ years of doing this I've always been one to use quality oil, never mix brands, use quality filters and service on time. I have however read enough about extended service intervals to know that there could be something to it. No, it's not my money but it is a 20+ year customer so I do feel that I need to be as informed as possible.
Sounds like time to have a nice chat, preferably over a beer or two and ask the guy writing the checks if he thinks it's a reasonable idea to consider squeezing another $500 out of the service budget. I'm guessing he's going to say thanks for asking, but keep doing what your doing.

AzIron

I have 5 deere machines all supposed to be changed at 500 we change at 250 it's not noticed on the bottom line

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I ran the oil sample programs years ago when working at a coal mine. On engines, I looked for elevated soot readings. Transmissions and hydraulics was particle counts. When new, intervals can be run out quite a long time. Engines could go 350 hours with no problems. Hydraulics and trannies we changed filters at 1,000 and saw particle counts rise at around 3,500. What happens though is that the indicators start showing up sooner as the components age. Soot levels end up rising in the 300 hour time frames, and then 250 and hold at that point. Keep in mind this was thirty years ago but I think a lot of that would still hold up today. Engines with cooled exhaust gas and crankcase ventilation I think are a big issue now. The other issue is the cost of the samples themselves. Retail they are at least $20 each and then you have to add sample tubing which just took a huge jump in price plus the time it takes to do the sample. A excavator gets five samples so figure $150 a service and keep in mind that the sample always picks up a problem after it is already occurring.

Eventually we just went to the old factory recommendations and dropped the sample programs to just doing them when we though we had problems.

MG84

I just bought a new CTL and was alarmed that Kubota has dropped the 50hr initial service and extended oil change intervals out to 500hrs. I will be changing the oil at 50hrs and again ever 200-250hrs, just as I do on every other diesel powered piece of equipment I own.

excavator

Sounds like time to have a nice chat, preferably over a beer or two and ask the guy writing the checks if he thinks it's a reasonable idea to consider squeezing another $500 out of the service budget. I'm guessing he's going to say thanks for asking, but keep doing what your doing.
I agree, but like I said, I have to be informed and this is the best place to ask these kinds of questions. Thanks to all who responded.

Welder Dave

If machines are past warranty might be worth seeing what aftermarket filters and oil cost in comparison. There are good non OEM branded oils and filters.