• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Extended Cab KW

Mike Mc

Occupation
Oilfields
cranky, you must really like taking the wind out of a man's sails? I sure hope the frame never fails. With the truck being a weekend warrior hopefully it has lots of life in it.

I stapled/glued two head liners together then put felt over to hide the seams. Repainted the whole truck and flames.

I paid 10K for the truck and got a lot in it. Definatly not a cheap toy but I sure do like old trucks. I work on drilling rigs running down hole tools and truck for fun :D

This is a pic of us coming home from a logging/show/play day.

Attachments

• C KW HE.jpg
    C KW HE.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 1,303

cranky

MC, Truly not trying to deflate anyone! I have a lot of respect for work like you've done with out a doubt! I have been looking at some '79's myself and so I have been researching the chassis rail issue as much as I can. Always finding value for money in line with ones search and limitations is a necessity for myself. I think with careful use and missing as many potholes as possible that your truck and chassis will endure! I've got some pics to post but being a "newbie" here the forum doesn't allow it as of yet. Check out Brooks Truck show at http://www.pacificnwtruckmuseum.org/TruckShow.html where some nice rigs show up yearly. Your W900 would feel right at home there for the weekend in August (I think)
cranky, you must really like taking the wind out of a man's sails? I sure hope the frame never fails. With the truck being a weekend warrior hopefully it has lots of life in it.

I stapled/glued two head liners together then put felt over to hide the seams. Repainted the whole truck and flames.

I paid 10K for the truck and got a lot in it. Definatly not a cheap toy but I sure do like old trucks. I work on drilling rigs running down hole tools and truck for fun :D

This is a pic of us coming home from a logging/show/play day.

Last edited by a moderator:

cranky

I don't know why the thread combined the two replies. It should have separated MC's as a quote. Aw well.....

Mike Mc

Occupation
Oilfields
My truck has been to Brooks 3x's. Once for the truck show and twice for the tractor show.

cranky

Cool, I hope to get up there this year for the next one. Then your gear must be in the site photo's. What years?

mitch504

How did this project turn out? I have a '93 WhiteGMC (think Volvo) that I want to do this to. It is a nice old truck with heavy specs and only 132000 well maintained miles. It is a pure work truck, with no show features or aspirations.

The only thing I don't like about it is the top of the back of the cab leans forward, which means the back of the drivers seat does too.

Mike Mc

Occupation
Oilfields
Mitch, if you plan on keeping the truck it's worth it. Sure is nice having the extra 6". This last summer we did a 6,000 mile vacation in the old truck. It would have been very uncomfortable for me being 6'3" all cramped up. We went from California to Peoria to visit the Caterpillar center. After that up to the Great Lakes then west to the Washington rain forest. We took all back roads! She would say "you wanna take this twisty back road over the mountain?" Sure tell me were to turn :D

I liked it so much that I'm making the power wagon an extended cab too :pointhead

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 837
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 851

Mike Mc

Occupation
Oilfields
Yes sir that's a low-direct-high brownie box behind a 201 divorced transfer case. It use to have a 10 speed in it but every time the Mrs. drove it we got into a fight. Now it's got an automatic so I can sit passenger on long drives.

The video show the undercarriage. Kinda hard to see.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=FSkgfrQ6goQ

The front half is the original W300 frame and the back half is '01 F350. This made my life a lot easier. Removed the 17 gallon fuel cell from behind the seat and now it holds around 38 gallons. Also came with rear discs, shocks, sway bar, e brake.

Old Doug

I have a brownie that i was going to use in my pickup. I have a friend with one in a 450 and he said not to use it because of several things. We have a 5? power wagon it has the same cab as a Bighorn. It is a 3/4 short bed 3 speed.

Mike Mc

Occupation
Oilfields
Doug, wonder why he didn't like the brownie? So far it's about the only thing that hasn't broke are gave me any troubles. Not sure how its going to work behind an automatic but I'm fixing to find out.

Here is a pic of the two frames. The F-350 frame in the rear has worked out real nice.

Attachments

• running 04.jpg
    running 04.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 758

JDOFMEMI

Nice Work there Mike!

I love the Power Wagon. Did you stretch the frame too, or just shorten the bed?

Mike Mc

Occupation
Oilfields
Thanks JD. No I just shortened the bed 30" to allow for the 30" cab extension.

Yesterday we cut out the floor board so the low ride air seats would sit lower. I'm kinda tall and now I sit in the middle of the cab. If I wanna be :cool: I can low ride.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 734

Old Doug

Doug, wonder why he didn't like the brownie? So far it's about the only thing that hasn't broke are gave me any troubles. Not sure how its going to work behind an automatic but I'm fixing to find out.

Here is a pic of the two frames. The F-350 frame in the rear has worked out real nice.

He is older and owned drove trucks. He said it was hard to shift. The one i have my dad bought it years ago. I talked to the guy that my dad got it from 40 years ago. He had it in a IH pickup he also told me not to use it.It seems like a great deal. I know a guy that had one in a Ford van/pickup deal behind a automatic but i never talk to him about it. I have a overdrive that goes on the back of a sm465 GM 4speed. I may get it hook up before long.

Mike Mc

Occupation
Oilfields
Doug, I just leave the Brownie in whatever range I want it. If I'm towing-direct, towing in the hills or maneuvering-low, just running around leave it in high. Here is a video I took a while ago shifting. Didn't have much trouble with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Neh0wrBjVn8

If you guys like this kinda stuff I'll go a head and share it with you. Since I had an extra KW air ride system, I built an extra frame for the cab to ride on. This extra frame pivots on the front bushings and the air ride is about 3/4 ways back were the back of the cab use to be. :D

Attachments

• Cab air frame.jpg
    Cab air frame.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 721
  • Cab air ride sway bar.jpg
    Cab air ride sway bar.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 706
  • Hauling gravel 007.jpg
    Hauling gravel 007.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 712
  • Hauling gravel 010.jpg
    Hauling gravel 010.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 707

Old Doug

Looks Like you have done alot of work to it. I would like to build one from the ground up some day if i ever get time. I need to have a gear between 3and 4 so i need to have something that is easy to shift. I would allso like a lower 1st. The sm465 has allmost the lowest 1st of any trans and is very tuff. I would go with a 5speed but they havent made one in a pickup yet that is any good and most truck 5 speeds have a big input shaft needing a 13" clutch and allso from what i have found most dont have as low of a first as the 4 speed. One thing that i wonder about is will my gas milage be hurt by alot of gear drag from a brownie or a big 5speed?

Mike Mc

Occupation
Oilfields
"Looks Like you have done alot of work to it. I would like to build one from the ground up some day if i ever get time."

Old Doug, not sure how old you are but if wanting to build a truck from the ground up you need to get started. I've been working on this one for about 9 years. Or send me a bunch of money and I'll build it for you.

Shouldn't be much drag when the Brownie is in direct, in high yes since most all over drives rob power. My opinion the best set up for power, reliability, mileage, and ease of installation is around a '96 Dodge Cummins with the later model Dodge NV5400. It's a 6 speed so it closes up the gaps between 3rd and 4th so it doesn't bog down.

Attachments

• Races (1).jpg
    Races (1).jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 676
  • Tow truck 001.jpg
    Tow truck 001.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 661
  • Tow truck 022.jpg
    Tow truck 022.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 691
  • me1.JPG
    me1.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 674

JDOFMEMI

Mike

Looks like some upgraded studs are in your future. I love the air ride cab idea. I am sure that helps ease those long trips.

Keep posting, as I know there are a lot of us here who are interested.

Old Doug

I still have time. Wright now i have a 1967 GMC. It started out as a v6 3speed. I put in a 350 4speed. I cut the trans crossmember lose and moved the engine as far forwards as i could,changed out the front end to a 3/4 ton,it had rear leafsprings i put in new 1 tons and moved them out closer to the tires by building new mounts and installed a 14 bolt GM rear end with a custom drive shaft,cut off the rear of the frame to have less distance between the hitch and axle,built a 7' flat bed and frame mounted gooseneck ball, it allso has a custom radiator that is made to cool a 500ci engine. I rewired it so it has seperate system for trailer lights. It has worked good and i dont know how many miles i have driven it pulling a trailer i think around 500.000 but my buddy thinks more like 700.000. I am on my 3rd engine and it is useing oil and every thing is worn out. I just got a 84 chevy to use while i build something.

Mike Mc

Occupation
Oilfields
Doug, fuel prices are going to continue to rise so put you a mechanical Cummins in the old truck.

JD, there's a simple solution to the lugs breaking-tighten them before driving :D. Fortunately I got it shut down before while the last three lug studs were still in tach. Here are some pics and a couple of the underside as it was getting a tow truck ride home.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 591
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 596
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 590
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg