• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Extended Cab KW

Mike Mc

Occupation
Oilfields
My 79' KW just doesnt have enough leg room so I broke out my saw :eek:

I'm slidding everything back 5 1/2" so I can stretch out. I could have went more but then my nice aluminum rack would have needed work. But with only 5 1/2" everything is going to work out nicely.

1rst, day I tore down the truck.

2nd, day I cut the cab (not me in picture) and slid it back. Took the wings
off a sleeper and used them for the the extensions.

3rd (today) made extra supports and started molding tin to fit the roof. After the rest of the screws are in it will draw up and look real nice.

Tomorrow I hope to get a fiberglass stip cut from the sleeper roof and install it to the tin. Should be real strong and safe. Wanna do a good job, lots of life left in this old W900 :D

Hope you guys like this stuff.... me cutting up a classic :eek:

Attachments

• bent rod 08.jpg
    bent rod 08.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 3,309
  • KW extended cab 009.jpg
    KW extended cab 009.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 3,247
  • KW extended cab 010.jpg
    KW extended cab 010.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 4,619
  • KW extended cab 013.jpg
    KW extended cab 013.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 3,261
  • KW extended cab 019.jpg
    KW extended cab 019.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 3,245

Kgmz

Occupation
General Contractor
Good job.

We have a 2006 Kenworth T-800 and even though the newer cabs are supposed to be a little larger, I wish I had a little more room. I have my seat slid back close to the back and sometimes I get on a bumpy road and the seat is slapping the back of the cab.

Eric

That's fantastic! I used to drive a T-800 day cab and would have payed good money to do that. I guess KW finally got the message and now offers an extended cab, as do some aftermarket companies.

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
The T800 reg cab dosen't offer an extention, the arrow cab does... now as far as you cutting up a 79 a model....what are you going to do for interior? Looks good BTW!

Whoever spec'd your truck did a great job, i love the heavy haul rear spread!!!

Last edited:

Mike Mc

Occupation
Oilfields
Thanks guys, it's sure going to be nice to stretch the legs out.

tonka, it's a 5' spread axle to axle and now I'm permitted for 47K on the drivers.

Hopefully the interior will be simple :Banghead The plan is to put the corners back in and then make two 5 1/2 matching panels that will butt up to the corner pieces and the door jam. For the headliner, I have 2 liners and I plan on joining them together then put some then foam and felt down to hide the ripples and seam.

Anybody ever lower the seat? I'm a tall guy and I usually ride with the seat almost all the way down. So I'm thinking of build a little frame out of angle iron that would allow me to lower the seat frame down into the plywood. This way I'm still riding low but have some ride left in the seat. Then when it's time to show of I can really drop it down ;)

Any tips or suggestion please share them. Thanks M-

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Thanks guys, it's sure going to be nice to stretch the legs out.

tonka, it's a 5' spread axle to axle and now I'm permitted for 47K on the drivers.

Hopefully the interior will be simple :Banghead The plan is to put the corners back in and then make two 5 1/2 matching panels that will butt up to the corner pieces and the door jam. For the headliner, I have 2 liners and I plan on joining them together then put some then foam and felt down to hide the ripples and seam.

Anybody ever lower the seat? I'm a tall guy and I usually ride with the seat almost all the way down. So I'm thinking of build a little frame out of angle iron that would allow me to lower the seat frame down into the plywood. This way I'm still riding low but have some ride left in the seat. Then when it's time to show of I can really drop it down ;)

Any tips or suggestion please share them. Thanks M-
Just get low ride seat bases....

prenn1984@gmail

cool project! if you need a new seat get an elite 80 from sears seating, and take the riser off, seat will go plenty low and still pretty high, and the quality of the seat is way better than a wide ride and way more comfortable.

Mike Mc

Occupation
Oilfields
Jim Davis Jr.'s, Raul Acostas, Jason Keeler's model A's look to be a long nose. How much longer is the long nose than the regular W900?

The reason I ask is I've been thinking about extending my front end a few inches. I have two hoods and the capabilities so now is the time before I paint it.

I'm not after a show truck since I live in the dirt and the truck is parked in the dry dusty Bakersfield dirt. Like most just want a nice truck. Maybe when done it will make your truck list :beatsme

Since you like trucks... attached are a couple pics of my 68 Power Wagon. It's definitely different :usa

Attachments

• BB5.jpg
    BB5.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 3,059
  • BB3.jpg
    BB3.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 3,057
  • BB2.jpg
    BB2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 3,052

Dualie

My 06 T-800 was the extended day cab. I wouldn't dream of ordering a truck without that option anymore. So much that i can even get passed the lame curved glass and daylight doors.

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Jim Davis Jr.'s, Raul Acostas, Jason Keeler's model A's look to be a long nose. How much longer is the long nose than the regular W900?

The reason I ask is I've been thinking about extending my front end a few inches. I have two hoods and the capabilities so now is the time before I paint it.

I'm not after a show truck since I live in the dirt and the truck is parked in the dry dusty Bakersfield dirt. Like most just want a nice truck. Maybe when done it will make your truck list :beatsme

Since you like trucks... attached are a couple pics of my 68 Power Wagon. It's definitely different :usa
the PW is ( . )( . )'s man... as for making the KW i long hood. I would do it, by moving the cab back and trading your 2 hoods for a long hood. Granted its a ton, i mean a ton of work! Where abouts in the patch do ya live/work? I cut my teath, i'n the patch around Taft/Bakersfield/Kernridge/losthills area?

One more thing is your truck a W925 or a w900?

Mike Mc

Occupation
Oilfields
tonka, yup I work in all those areas you did. You still live in this area?

Where can I find a longer hood for my W900???

I can't move the cab back or my nice aluminum deck will need to be modified. Coming off the aluminum frame are some metal extensions that I plan on extending out. Then all I have to do is relocate the shackles. Easier said than done.

Hopefully one of those long nose guys will read this thread and let me know how longer their nose is.

Attachments

• KW extended cab 018.jpg
    KW extended cab 018.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 3,075

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Its about a foot longer give or take. I no longer live in Cali, I got out when it went bust in 97-98...i got my start working for Coopers, then got good on a hoe and went to work for Gary Drilling... I also did side work for a guy named Dwayne Emfinger...out of Mckitrick. Last Job i did in the patch was that gas fire in lost hills...boy was that fun!

Mike Mc

Occupation
Oilfields
cool project! if you need a new seat get an elite 80 from sears seating, and take the riser off, seat will go plenty low and still pretty high, and the quality of the seat is way better than a wide ride and way more comfortable.

Thanks prenn, I went and sat in the seat you recommended and the bottom side cushion are to tall and I seemed to be wedged in between the side. Creating a Charlie horse on the sides of my butt and legs. If only I was a little narrower or wider it would have fit better. The Legacy Silver seat fit my bottom side a little better. Either way they both cost $720.

Got the cab pretty much finished up, slid the cab air ride back and installed new air bags and shocks. Also got the new plywood installed today. Looking forward to having leg room :drinkup

tootalltimmy

Looking good!
That is a very ambitious project. Leg room is a very nice thing to have. Please keep the pictures coming.

I drove a 1979 KW W900. The cab was very small. On the passenger side my knees would touch the dash when I sat in that seat.

Also had no heat. The side windows would freeze shut driving down the road during the Northern Alberta winter.

Mike Mc

Occupation
Oilfields
toota, it's pretty much all done. Both little cab shocks we're blown so I installed new cab air bags and shocks. Now I'm just waiting on the 5 1/2" interior panels.

Attachments

• extended cab 002.jpg
    extended cab 002.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 2,845

cranky

Hey, this is a bit late in the day,but, if you are still around,,I was curious how that aluminum frame of yours has been holding out? Have you had to reinforce any section of it or even replace the rails? That aluminum table behind the cab must give it some tensile strength there as that is said to be the weak point there behind the cab. Beautiful truck. Hope it is still paying it's way! Cheers!

Mike Mc

Occupation
Oilfields
C - fortunitly I'm the second owner of this truck. The O man I bought it from took real good care of it. So far no problems cracking behind the cab. The truck has soft ride limo springs up front so it dosen't like much over 10,500 on the steer axle and I usually run around 9,800 (even when hauling the D8). Hopefully keeping the front light is preserving the frame. BUT the frame did crack between the drivers but the previous owner already repaired it. The drivers are set up with a 5' California spread. I'm always inspecting this old truck so I'll be sure to keep an extra eye behind the cab for cracks.

The extended cab has worked out great!!!! Wish I did it years earlier, so nice having 6 more inches of leg room.
.R5 KW HE.jpg

TCS

Nice job. All we run are W-900L's and T-800's,but legroom is no problem because they are all Aero-cabs,except the W-900L tri-axle dumps.

cranky

So a couple more questions for you. First, did you put a new headliner in the cab or did you leave the fiberglass exposed? Did you re-paint the hood completely or just add the flames? Back to the frame; it must be a concern to you? How were the cracks repaired between the drives? Kenworth in Medford Or told me that frame turned out to be a disaster for KW. A local log bunk builder told me "it is not IF but WHEN" it will crack and never recommend using a truck with that frame for dump or offroad. Spreading the drives would probably reduce stress so that is a plus. Can I asked what you paid for the truck? What do you think you have invested in it so far? I'm putting a link here to my last truck, a potable water carrier in Southern Oregon.
/Users/jonathanseidler/Desktop/new water truck 007_2.jpg
Anyhow, your posted pics are great. Good luck to ya! Cheers! JS

cranky

Well that picture didn't open for some reason. Not sure how to post pics here. How did you do it?