• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Excavators and zinc-free hydraulic oil?

Shimmy1

It appears that Deere/Hitachi now spec a zinc-free, high viscosity index hydraulic oil? The oil I'm finding is Super EX 46 HN.

Can anyone explain this, and offer any ideas on if this oil can work in other hydraulic systems? Or is this an attempt to make excavators unique in the oil game?

Zewnten

As far as I know Deere/Hitachi has always been zinc free. We've used it anywhere ISO 46 was ok except Cat stuff, they want the zinc. But I remember it had to be pure hydraulics, no trans or diffs.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
It appears that Deere/Hitachi now spec a zinc-free, high viscosity index hydraulic oil? The oil I'm finding is Super EX 46 HN.
Now.? They’ve specced that oil like forever. AFAIK they are the only OEM to require it. Plenty of oil companies produce an equivalent oil, Conoco Ecoterra is one that springs to mind but there are others.

As mentioned above Cat don’t recommend the use of zinc-free oil in their hydraulic systems.

Shimmy1

Now.? They’ve specced that oil like forever. AFAIK they are the only OEM to require it. Plenty of oil companies produce an equivalent oil, Conoco Ecoterra is one that springs to mind but there are others.

As mentioned above Cat don’t recommend the use of zinc-free oil in their hydraulic systems.
My bad, Nige. Just another rabbit hole I ended up down in my oil saga, haha. Thanks for all your help. I was worried that the zinc-free thing would complicate my situation.

It appears, however, my avoidance of all Deere equipment besides my dirt pans is justified.

IceHole

My Hitachi specs Super EX46HN

OR

Rando HD46
Chevron AW46
Both are zinc oils.

IceHole

I picked up some p66 Megaflow aw32. $270 for 5 pails vs $740 for the Hitachi 46 weight stuff.

Not sure who makes the AW32 Schucks carries, but it's almost $70 a pail these days. Always felting wasn't great oil, there's always "dirt" in the bottom of the pails.