• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Excavator Warning

drag1line

Over the years I have seen many tracked excavator operators digging or clearing with the travel reduction gear boxes under the operator's cabin.
This is not the recommended position for these boxes due to the machine being more stable if the weight of these large gearboxes is behind the operator. The travel pedal control is also reversed. Yes, it is easier to push the pedals forward to go back.
That IS NOT the safety issue of an unusual accident that is not normally considered but waiting to happen.
If or when a branch, pipe, tree limb, tree, whatever were to fall into the front window of the cab,, it will push the travel levers, that most machines have, backwards. If the gearboxes are behind the operator, the machine will automatically back away from the debris in the operator's lap.
BUT, if the gear boxes are under the operator and the levers are shoved backwards, the machine will now go INTO the debris laying in the operator's lap and drive it into the cab and the operator's body.
Just food for thought.
Be Careful

Last edited by a moderator:

TRACKHOE71

Occupation
OPERATOR
i agree with ya dragline, at my old company alot of the guys ran it that way as soon as i got in it id spin the machine around , i was always taught to always dig over your idlers, not only is it safer, as you had mentioned but it also saves the bull gears from wear and tear.

jordan

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Ok...the coffee worked, "Gearboxes" is what threw me...you mean the drive motors.

I thought what you are saying was in like excavator 101...thats the way I've always worked, been told and trained others.....especially in ROPs only machines.

I'm forever mindful of a fatality that occured in New Zealand some years ago with a similar thing working on the side of a mountain.

drag1line

Excavator Safety

Sorry on terms..Texas boys you know.
Travel motors, travel reduction gearboxes, travel reduction, those big heavy things in back that drive the tracks.
Yes, Basic excavator 101..Exactly correct..but for reasons you do not want to know details of, this is real, and it does happen. Watch your jobsites, it still goes on and few people think of this very real possibility.
Have a good safe day.

dayexco

forget the safety issue, they can put drive motors on whatever end they want, and pipe them to move whatever direction you want simply by swapping hoses.....main thing is, when you dig, why drag that dirt/debris up into your drive sprockets?

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Funny how many "operators" don't work over there idlers, but in all honestly I don't all the time.

Hi Drag1line,
Welcome to HEF its nice to see another Houston member on here, so where do you work and what do you do?

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
I try to put idlers to the front, that way you don't forget which way you're walking when you go to move. It isn't something I practice all the time, though.

skata

when tracking, drive motors should be in the rear, otherwise the upper rollers and front idler see more pressure and wear.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
That is one of the first things I notice when I am watching someone running an excavator.
Caterpillar recommends that the drive sprockets be in the rear opposite the the end you will be digging from and the reason is to reduce wear and tear on the gears etc.There will be no give between the sprocket/drive motor/brake unless it is chain drive which I imagine would be even worse but I never have to contemplate which way the machine will travel when I move the lever/pedal.I consider that one of the good habits to be learned that pays dividends in the long run.
I have seen operators wear out the finals just for that reason,in fact the last job I was on had an old Komatsu with new finals on it and a newer Komatsu 270 being abused by the same union operator that wore out the old one.
I only worked with him for about three months but he was consistant in that he always dug with the sprockets under the house.
Another trick he had was to jump off of the machine with the bucket in the air,no matter who was around or under the bucket when the coffee man came he was outa there.LOL
I had the best job on the site,piling hazmat on plastic with an old D8K with two rock trucks feeding me.Those were the days.Ron G:D

d4c24a

smaller

most excavators up to 10 tons in the UK have blades ,how many of you would dig with the blade at the front of the machine,i personally dig with the blade at the rear and only have it at the front when cleaning up or circumstances require ,kubota suggest digging with the blade at the rear when ever possible
thanks graham

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
I have to agree with the general consensus here. The first thing I was ever taught about running an excavator is to keep the final drives (sprockets, etc) to the rear whenever possible. Now it isn't always possible I think anyone can agree sometimes you'll find that you have to dig over the wrong end or the side, fact of life. Same being said for traveling, long distances should be with the idlers in the front. The only time I don't do that is if I'm getting close to where I plan to park and have to make a 90 degree turn anyway I'll probably turn the drives in front of me and walk in so in the morning I'm already pointed in the right direct.:drinkup

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
most excavators up to 10 tons in the UK have blades ,how many of you would dig with the blade at the front of the machine,i personally dig with the blade at the rear and only have it at the front when cleaning up or circumstances require ,kubota suggest digging with the blade at the rear when ever possible
thanks graham

I always try to dig with the blade faceing forwards. You can lower it and it will help stabalize the machine and keep it from bouncing so much.

As far as which way the final drives are facing is the least of my worries. Most places we work there is bearly enough room to swing the machine around, let alone to try and turn the tracks so that the motors are facing the rear. I perfer them to be facing that direction because then you push the pedals forward to move the machine forward. But it does not always work were they can be in the rear.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
thanks graham

The blade is at the idler end on my mini so I keep it in front for the reasons discussed above. I also prefer the blade facing the digging operation when using a tooth bucket on broken concrete or hammer in close quarters to prevent damage to the tracks. Its easier to pick stuff up working against the blade.

I just read the Yanmar manual and although it doesn't specifically state to keep the blade backwards that is how the machine is depicted in most operations.

d4c24a

rear

I always try to dig with the blade faceing forwards. You can lower it and it will help stabalize the machine and keep it from bouncing so much.

that is why i keep it at the back ,it stabilizes the machine better and can level a path as you go ,and also help with better bucket penetration in harder ground ,and when using a breaker it is easier to put downward force on the tool without lifting the machine, i also find when doing deep narrow trenching it obstructs the veiw especialy when digging around services,i have seen many rental machines with bent and ripped blades due to bucket teeth contact :Banghead
cheers graham

Last edited by a moderator:

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
i have seen many rental machines with bent and ripped blades due to bucket teeth contact :Banghead
cheers graham

Graham, that would be inexperience and the prevailing attitude towards rentals I think.

I must admit there I times I have the blade backwards for better view.

Attachments

• new_yanmar.jpg
    new_yanmar.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 377

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I haven't found that it makes any difference which end you are digging over, sprocket or idlers. The idea that digging over the sprockets puts wear on the gears in the final drives is absurd. The final drives are supported on big ball bearings and the only load getting to the gears in the finals only happens when the machine is moving. I have also seen excavators working in rivers and mud up to the operator cab floors. Knowing that the slewing bearing is not sealed gave me much more to worry about than the final drives.

The only rule I would tell people now days is to keep the sprockets on the down hill side of the machine. This keeps the weight on the ground side of the tracks instead of pulling them tight across the tops.

On the mini excavators with a blade, I have found I like the stabilizing influence of the blade being on the digging side. That is just a preference as I can also see that in many situations the blade will be in the way of digging.

72V

Occupation
grader, cat, excavator hack
"I haven't found that it makes any difference which end you are digging over, sprocket or idlers."

My thoughts exactly.

I keep the idlers uphill regardless of which direction I'm working in with the house.