• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

excavator stick cylinder question

bibs

hello all im about to remove stick cylinder on 215 clc wondering if it should be fully out or curled right in ? i have enough extra work on the old girl with out fighting with pinning it back on ?

Delmer

It will have less oil if the cylinder is retracted/stick out and laid flat. Unless you can work on it easier with the stick in, then unpin the cylinder rod end, disconnect hoses at the hard line so you can aim them into a bucket, and use a winch to retract the cylinder, then it will be mostly empty.

Putting it on, pin the cylinder before hooking up the hoses.

bibs

thanks Delmer, someone told me do not take the cylinder off with the stick strait out(cyl retracked) as it would not be easy getting the cyl back in . as if the boom and stick would move closer together, is there not a stopper there? i would rather do it fully open with the closed cylinder how about your self ?

Delmer

yes, that's the way I'd do it. If it's tight, then put blocking and a hydraulic jack under the joint to take the pressure off it.

Bluox

If you pin the cyl. to the boom and hook the hoses up you can start the machine and use it to pick the boom up and line up the pin hole on the cyl. rod.
Bob

bibs

If you pin the cyl. to the boom and hook the hoses up you can start the machine and use it to pick the boom up and line up the pin hole on the cyl. rod.
Bob
hey thats helpful thank you for that.I was leading myself to beleive there was a stopper in sted of the cylinder being the stopper