1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Excavator operators - How do you know??

Discussion in 'Excavators' started by Alaska Sunrise, Apr 23, 2010.

1. 2stickbill

2stickbill Senior Member

Sniffin diesel fumes.
    I was raised around Heavy Equip.Run lots of it.Friend called asked have you ever run a scraper?No but I'll be willing to try.I have watched lots of operators on them.He hired me and a week later told me the owner asked where he got the scraper operator.He never told them it was my first time.By keeping you eyes and ears open you can learn things.

2. thebaz

thebaz Well-Known Member

I have been operating for over 25 years so I have a bit of experience, but, I think you can always learn a better way of doing things and I know there is always someone better than me to learn from. The important thing for me has always been to make sure that the contractor that comes in after you won't have a bad word to say about how you left him the job. If you don't have the skill to do it quickly, that should come with experience, as your operating skill improves and you work out more efficient ways of working, but if you have pride in your work and leave the job right you will be thought of as a good operator. I think whatever you do, you should have a pursuit of excellence, then the skill will come. Also worth mentioning, is that while it is always good to suggest what you think is a better way of doing the job, provided there is no there is no safety or damage issues, the clients way is always right if they chose to ignore your good advice. (only applies to hourly work of course):)

Baz

3. hammerdwn20

hammerdwn20 Well-Known Member

pipeline
    haha I tell everyone i have no idea what im doing whether its turning wrenches, moving dirt or trucking. :beatsme
    I agree with most of what has been said already. I watch other operators to learn new tricks or maybe a better way of going about a task. Even what not to do.
    productivity, basic maintainence and cleanliness, safety and smooth flowing movements make a good operator

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  4. youngoperator

youngoperator Well-Known Member

chainsaw faller/ heavy equipment operator
    beening orginized with your materials, machine, trucks whatever it is, im always watching other operators to learn new tricks, counterweight scratches are a no no, being safe with the machine your operating and feeling confindent in it

5. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

apparently, you've never been in tight quarters where you couldn't get your spoils away from you. rattle cans or paint take care of scratches quick.

6. Hendrik

Hendrik Senior Member

If counterweight scratches are a no no, I am in big trouble:eek:

7. 2stickbill

2stickbill Senior Member

Sniffin diesel fumes.
    I thought counterweight scratches came on the machine from the factory.:D
    I have never seen a machine with no scratches unless it was new.But I have seen new ones with scratches.

8. youngoperator

youngoperator Well-Known Member

chainsaw faller/ heavy equipment operator
    i admit that not everything is perfect and yes i adimt i have done the odd scratch or a few.. i was more on the lines of meaning not always hitting the spoils pile all day long on everyswing sorry that i worded it wrong on my first post

9. CJLennon

CJLennon Well-Known Member

My brother has been an operator for 40 years and currently runs a CAT 345. When I asked him if he was any good on that thing, his reply was "Show me where you itch." I guess that says it all. But, like anything else, it's all about confidence and your ability to never think you are above listening. Even though 90% of the info you get from people is either wrong or inaccurate, it's the 10% that we all need to listen to. Best of luck!

10. dynahoescott

dynahoescott Well-Known Member

When you get called back day after day for years for the same company to do the tougher jobs that you know most operators couldnt handle, and the owner asks your oppinion how to handle certain jobs, well then its safe to assume you are competent enough to be called a professional. And believe me when I tell you, I think very highly of my abilities but I dont care if its from the old lady down the block if she has an idea and it works well then I am smarter for listening. Aways watch, listen, and learn. There are plenty operators out there we can all learn from.

11. rino1494

rino1494 Senior Member

From my experience, the people that tend to brag about themselves and feel the need to tell you that they can do this and can do that.........they are the ones that you need to stay far away from.

I get compliments from customers and other operators quite a bit. I just brush it off and say that "I've done this a couple times". There is no need to brag or become overconfident. There is always someone out there that can do it better, faster and smarter than you.

The key to this business is to keep and open eye and ear and pay attention to what you are doing and always keep learning. You can learn alot, especially from the "old timers".

12. 2stickbill

2stickbill Senior Member

Sniffin diesel fumes.
    You know when your a bad operator when the Boss tells you,Pedro will be on your machine from now on.

13. Alaska Sunrise

Alaska Sunrise Active Member

Wow!! I'm amazed at all the responses! What made me post this question is all the second guessing I do when I am digging. It seems I'm always questioning how I have the machine set up and usually thinking "There must be a better way of doing this!" Maybe I will get better and faster with more time, but when I see other operators doing nice work I often ask myself "Will I ever be that good?"

14. tylermckee

tylermckee Senior Member

When you are good you just know, im not the best by any means, but better than most :tong

15. Deeretime

Deeretime Senior Member

superintendent
    Bud I have been running equipment since i was five.
    we all love equipment here but i like to keep mine shinny from my blades to my excavators to my bobcats. I admit i have swung the house into stuff at times but it always gets buffed and painted (eventualy)
    we do every thing and any thing with our machines from under ground utilities to loading trucks and realy there is no excuse for a oporator to have a shinny spot on his counterweight.
    When i see a machine like that i instantly think that the oporator is A inexperienced or is just there for a paycheque and doesnt care about my machinery that my family works hard to keep and maintain.

I got the old 160 dithcing in the bottom of our trench after i couldn't dig any deeper with the 350d and i didnt scrach the counter weight because i may not be the best oporator but atleast im professionel at what i do
    we are known all around alberta for shinny clean equipment and if you want contracts in the patch your immage is every thing.

16. Deeretime

Deeretime Senior Member

superintendent
    here is one of the picks

Attached Files:

17. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

18. plantman.uk

plantman.uk Well-Known Member

excavator operator
    i work for a company that runs around 100 excavators with as many operators and not all of them give a ****e about the machine...the 1 i am on right now is 2 years old and looks 32 it's beat up but because the machine is a mess does not really reflect on the operator i always look after any machine i operate not every beat up machine has a bad operator

19. gasfield315c

gasfield315c Well-Known Member

build gaswell locations in the steeper than a mule
    when company men brag on your work, request you when they want something to be done right and look good, when you know what to do and how to use the machine to do it without thinking, and i think the best one of all is having an old vet that has been doing it for a long time and can do anything damn good says, "boy, that looks real good"

20. Cowboy Billy

Cowboy Billy Active Member

Operating Engineers Local 324
    A lot of good points here. I would say when you get past just pulling the levers. Look at the jobsite get your trucks where they can move around the best and don't have to jack around to get to you. And keeping things set up for what ever operation is coming after you.

Billy