1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Excavator Guarding Packages...

Discussion in 'Excavators' started by JCBgm, Mar 18, 2009.

1. JCBgm

JCBgm Well-Known Member

Anyone know who manufactures excavator guarding packages besides Palladin? We don't need cab guards, but rear door protection. I can only come up with 2 manufacturers on google. Most of our machines are in the woods and OEM guarding packages are expensive and slow lead times.

Thanks for the help.

2. Vantage_TeS

Vantage_TeS Senior Member

HE Operator. Surprise?
    I'd suggest looking at the damage you have already encountered and then talking to a local welding shop about getting something made up. When we converted an old PC200 to a harvester the shop welder built all the guards himself.

3. Deereman

Deereman Senior Member

Depending on what machine you have but hit up G and R manufacturing If you haven't already!! If you have any probs out of them just PM me!! Justin

4. w2bstoned

w2bstoned Well-Known Member

Alot of guys here fab there own stuff, That way you can beef it up...

5. oregon96pd

oregon96pd Well-Known Member

jewell manufacturing out of portland, OR makes complete packages for excavators very nice and heavy duty

6. oregon96pd

oregon96pd Well-Known Member

7. Wolf

Wolf Senior Member

what kind of work are you using the excavator for?

8. minimax

minimax Well-Known Member

Try HPF,CWS,PSM,or peck weld.

minimax

9. 360joe

360joe Well-Known Member

Cab guard cert

Fabricating a good cab guard would be well within the capabilites of any good fitter/welder. Only problem I could see with that approach is the guard would probably have to be certified to comply with H+S and insurance requirements. These people will probably have no interest in the strength or quality of the guard, they will only care about its certification.

10. JCBgm

JCBgm Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help guys. Jewell is a Paladin Company.

I'm looking for guards for the rear doors by the counterweights. We work with pipeliners and they are HARD on machines.

Cab protection isn't an issue. It's the counterweight hitting mountainsides, trees, and BIG rocks.

11. natemcmurtrey

natemcmurtrey Member

field mechanic
    What excavators is this guarding for? If you have pics of what you want and it can be built without the machine present. Send me an email and we may be able to work something out. We can build you some generic guarding that can be fitted to the machine later.

Post some pics of the excavator it will go on. I can also give you some ideas.

12. Turbo21835

Turbo21835 Senior Member

Go with the Jewel guarding, good and strong. Also, go with the catwalks, they are indestructible.

Attached Files:

13. trainwreck

trainwreck Well-Known Member

stay away from highline porta fab. the company i work for has some stuff built by them, and it all sucks. we have a zx120 log loader built by hpf and within the first 1,000 hours we had to putt all new hoses in the grapple and the tilt cab hinge broke while tilting the cab down.

14. JTL

JTL Senior Member

IUOE Local 302
    Heres a cab and house gaurd my buddy and I built for his 200 Komatsu. Home made with some steel, rod and beer! Thats my smiling face in the cab!

Attached Files:

15. natemcmurtrey

natemcmurtrey Member

field mechanic
    Unless you want the full hard door and guarding package. Do it yourself. You guys put together a pretty decent guarding. The Jewell shovel logger extreme package is hard to beat.

16. drag1line

drag1line Well-Known Member

I agree. Go to Jewell. Sounds like you are getting story from a Know Nothing salesman. Call them direct. They probably have already designed what you need or talk to engineering there. Great guys.
    Never fails..too many people in the line of communication.
    Good Luck