• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

excavator falls off trailor

hvy 1ton

Man, that had to be a pretty rough ride. I have a feeling the operator wasn't wearing a seatbelt since twice the stick starts moving after it's on its side. That trailer doesn't look to friendly to the over the back method. You would think that the military would run min 10' wide lowboys, who is gonna try to stop them.

amtronic

The guy on the ground tried to run faster than his feet could carry him! Hope the operator is OK.

special tool

It looks like the trailer is on an angle from left/right.
That's...er...um...kind of a NO-NO, especially when you are on a wide machine.:rolleyes:

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
What kind of trailer is that?

It looks like there's no deck on it...

YoungOne

Looks like a HET trailer. Plenty wide enough to load/offload from. Trailer usually swallows the excavator. I might be wrong though. Even in combat, you can drop the trailer, and undog in ten minutes. Just do it!

Makes me wonder what happened here.

JDOFMEMI

It is not uncommon at all to go over the back like that. It is required that you be on level ground though. It also helps to be centered on the trailer before attempting. There was plenty of track on the near side, so he must have been offset to the far side quite a bit. Being off level walked the machine over little by little, until it was too late.

Hope he is all right. Unless he tried to get uot early, he may just be bruised up.

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
And ten guys standing there watcing him do it. :rolleyes:

plantman.uk

Occupation
excavator operator
i hope the guy was ok.....machine was off centre to start with.make you kinda wonder who loaded it on the trailer, don't look like a lowloader to me

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
I watched it again, looks like the tracks slid a fair bit before he went over. From what I can tell it's a combination of the "operator" trying to unload on an un-level trailer and after the bucket is set onto the groun he trys to steer using the swing (pushing the tracks the other way and sliding off the side). It's hard to see the swing movement when he's on the trailer but you can see it, and when he falls off you can see the counterweight is no longer centered on the tracks.

Looks like it slid a good 3-4 feet before it went off!

I'm guessing a lack of training is at fault as well, most of the time truckers want to unload equipment and watching them do so (even in civilian jobs) can be quite amusing :D

I watched some guy walk my 385 up along a shoulder, one track up on the pavement one track in the ditch. Pushed the shoulder down a good 2 1/2 feet, then when he tried to turn onto the pavement the track caught under the lift of pavement and was going to rip half the pavement out trying to get up. Sooooo then he tried to swing under the powerlines and got all jammed up with the bucket. I let him play around with it another 10 minutes before I went over an offered my help.

Needless to say they got me to unload it at the other end too haha!

Oh and my big pet peeve with truckers? You have to remove the counterweight of a 385 to move it, so you have to use the machine to load it onto a second trailer. Watching those monkeys scratch the **** out of my paint was the first and last time I ever let them do it. Ever since then -I- will load/unload the damn thing and then if you really want to monkey around trying to track a machine onto a trailer, be my guest.

Last edited:

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
All those eyes watching, yet seeing nothing. Nobody with enough balls or experience to shout STOP!
It is only 2 seconds into the vid when the track drops off the far side. Did somebody suspect that it might go off the side which is why it got filmed, if so why was the manoever not stopped or was the machine so near the edge that whatever he did he was going to loose it and nobody had enough experience to know what to do.

As mentioned in the frame climbing thread, steel on steel is to be treated with the upmost respect.

I sincerely hope that operator was not seriously hurt.

tripper_174

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator Trainer
Wouldn't have hurt to unload with the boom at a 90 degree angle to the trailer. Could have saved himself. One swamper designated to guide him is a pretty good idea too.

dayexco

Watching those monkeys scratch the **** out of my paint was the first and last time I ever let them do it. Ever since then -I- will load/unload the damn thing and then if you really want to monkey around trying to track a machine onto a trailer, be my guest.

you own a 385 cat? they're a NICE machine!!