1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Excavator bucket

Discussion in 'Compact Excavators' started by Liberty, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Liberty

Liberty Active Member

I definately do not forsee changing buckets. Like i said, i am a homeowner with alot of land and there is no need for speed. I remember when i was told to get a quick hitch for my 3 pt on my tractor. Though i change implements regularly , i get by just fine without it. I already have a hydraulic thumb and the idea of rhe ripper is a good one.

2. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

s/e Heavy equipment operator
    Does your current bucket have holes and big cracks in it? because that bucket looks plenty serviceable for the tasks you have mentioned albeit with a couple new teeth welded on it :)

Delmer likes this.
  3. StumpyWally

StumpyWally Senior Member

PE Civil Eng'r, Computer Sys. Mgr., Retired
    Liv'in the Dream ---------------> in Upstate NY
    Liberty...I have a 3pt hitch on my tractor also, & I do not see the need for a quick hitch there because its's fairly easy to change attachments & not that messy.

On an excavator with the std. pin-on setup, that's a whole different animal!! The attachment is usually way heavier than you can lift or shove around to line up the pins, to say nothing of the gobs of grease that are (should be) on the pins & holes. So, I think that anyone who has an excavator with more than 1 attachment should seriously think about some kind of quick coupler before buying any more attachments. If I had to unpin my 24" bucket & then pin on my ripper, I would probably never do it more than once. My quick coupler makes the change very easy, fast, & I don't even get my hands dirty.

I only have about 8 acres of land, whereas you have 200 acres with some significant work planned. I would hate to have you in the midst of that work when you then realize that you wish you had a quick coupler to enable easy changing to another attachment better suited to the work at hand.

Should you ever change your mind & get interested in a quick coupler, feel free toe contact me for my insight. One of the most important considerations when considering a coupler for a relatively small excavator like your Doosan sl75v is to choose a coupler which is as close mounted as possible so as to not increase the tip radius of your bucket, & thereby reduce your breakout force. This rules out all conventional pin-grabber style couplers that are very common on larger excavators, which have breakout force to spare. I could go on, but I'll wait until...if...you change your mind.

4. AzIron

AzIron Senior Member

Stay away from proprietary shank designs like cat or deere go with something like a Hensley side pin you can get them anywhere and a lot cheaper

Your current bucket is not toast get some new shanks do a little buildup and you wont wear it out for personal use

If your going to get a new bucket and will never change buckets you don't need a quip coupler getting rid of a wain Roy coupler dumps a hundred pounds and will give you more breakout force

Heavy buckets are a must have in the rock if your not in the rock and not doing more than your own stuff a standard bucket will do fine

Ronsii likes this.
  5. Liberty

Liberty Active Member

So much good advice here. Not sure what to do. What is wrong with cat style? They seem to be readily available and cheap.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  6. AzIron

AzIron Senior Member

Nothing is wrong with them but around me they ate 30 percent more and don't last as long as aftermarket options but our ground can eat teeth in 2 days if you push it

7. Liberty

Liberty Active Member

It seems that the cat style are $10 a piece with pins. The bucket i am looking to buy can upgrade to esco style for free but the company said cat style are easier to find. I just came across Titan attachments has 10 teeth with pins for $92 free shipping. I am sure these are chinese teeth. The teeth I have been using are H@L 230sp forged which are welded on. I like H@L . They are US made and a good company.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    Blondie70 likes this.
  8. AzIron

AzIron Senior Member

Don't get hung up on teeth if the cats are 10 bucks with pins that a good price and cat teeth can be found anywhere there is a cat dealer I do side pin because my cat dealer wants 15 bucks apiece also there is 5 or 6 places for me to get side pin teeth locally while there are only 2 places locally to get cat style

My point should have been more clear don't buy a new bucket with a shank style that you can only get at one place

Blondie70 likes this.
  9. 007

007 Well-Known Member

Your old bucket has seen better days that's for sure.
    I doubt you will get much selling your old bucket but maybe better re purposing it.
    Maybe cutting all that mess off the front and welding a finishing bar on, or have a crack at making a clam shell out of it?
    Make something out of it that suits your immediate project needs.
    Just a thought.

Blondie70 likes this.
  10. Liberty

Liberty Active Member

My neighbor suggested the same. His. Idea was to convert it to a grading bucket.

Blondie70 likes this.
  11. 007

007 Well-Known Member

sounds like a great idea!!
    I think my mud bucket is used the most out of all my buckets.
    Would be a little bit of a pain not having the full bucket there but better than nothing.
    A creative welder might put some bucket extensions on the sides?
    Would leave the original sides untouched.
    Would be seriously ugly but what the heck, gives it some character.
    I would recommend the use of reversible bolt on blade.
    3 to 4 ft would be great.
    Post a pic when you creation is complete.

Blondie70 likes this.