• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Excavator bucket curl

RKC

Excavator bucket on my Volvo EC240 has stopped curling and now seems to be only working in one direction. Any suggestions as to what the problem here maybe?

RKC

If its only bucket, I'd say you have a bypass issue in the cylinder. If you hold bucket curl over relief, does the engine load up?

The engine does not load up when holding bucket curl over relief. Once it moves to dump direction it stays stuck and doesn't curl

Delmer

If it dumps but won't curl, that's odd. If it was the other way around, it curled but wouldn't dump, then the hydraulic cylinder could be leaking enough internally that it's operating as a one way cylinder, the rod becomes the piston if the piston is loose from the rod. But it won't retract the cylinder that way.

I'd check some pressures, and flow at that cylinder. That can be as easy as seeing if the hoses flex when you try to curl, and seeing if anything gets warm like funwithfuel said. Then use an actual pressure gauge, OR look into the control valve based on what you find.

RKC

Tried swapping ar2 pressure with br2 pressure and now bucket curl function is working but dump function won't work.

upload_2021-8-5_12-40-15.png

Last edited:

RKC

VOLVO EC240LC C03966

Attachments

• IMG-20210805-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20210805-WA0002.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

RKC

Ok. That's more Samsung than Volvo. Negative control. Have you any way of gauging the signals to the spool caps of your bucket circuit? Preferably at the same time.

At the moment don't think i have anything to gauge the signals to the spool caps of the bucket cylinder.

Kobelco ireland

Occupation
Mechanic
If the problem changed when you swapped port relief valves ar1 and br1 then you have a faulty port relief valve.

Last edited:

RKC

I only half read your post did you swap the pilot hoses or the relief valves

My bad. The pilot hoses behind the cap were swapped not the relief valves. Replacing the right side remote control valve now to see if it is rectified.

Last edited: