• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ever Run

Cat

Hi everyone, did any of you ever drive a john deere 4x2 gator? If so how did you like it?:confused: Do you think they will last a long time?

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
They are sweet if you take care of them a lot of guys use them on the farms. However, we rented a few for a large project we did and no one took care of them and beat them a lot they didn't take it very well.

donlang

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner- full service excavating firm
JD Gator

I am enjoying a long weekend away........at a campground in Ohio owned by a friend of mine. He has 2 JD Gators and a Polaris Ranger. All good vehicles, different applications.........the Gators have tandem rear wheels and are tough to turn tight. These things get run all day, every day summer and fall. If they are lucky, the get the oil changed once a year.........MAYBE. They are tight for a big guy to sit in, are low to the ground, and don't do well if you run them through the water (the drive assembly slips).......but they work everyday and have been here for at least 6 years and weren't bought new.

The Ploaris has lots more room in the seat area, isn't near as heave a vehicle, sits higher, and does pretty well running through the water. The JD seems to be better for the heavier work application, the Ranger for the lighter duty stuff. Surprisingly, they have both held up well.

:usa

jd1364

Occupation
Ranching, Retired
Had one for 6 years. Only problem was the seats dont last. Was a little rough going across the pasture's. But it would haul alot of weight. Looking at getting a new HPX 4x4,those things are nice:beatsme :)

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
treat them like a golf cart and you should do ok. I think the polaris and the kawasiki are better as off road heavy duty golf carts though.

landrvrnut22

Occupation
Field Superintendent
My old company we used them to run around the site. We got a brand new one, and after 10 months the rear axle seperated from the transaxle.

It would get mud built up in the brakes, and the brakes would hang and slow the thing down. Got stuck many times on nothing at all.

Dont get me wrong, they are good machines, but they did not hold up to what we put it through.

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
My friend has a 4x2 Gator, paid $10K for it new way back, must be when they first come out. He hasn't been very happy with it, also had some engine problems the dealer had to fix. Seems to be a light duty outfit, might be good to shop around if you're thinking of buying that kind of machine. I also had a Polaris 6x6 once with the little dump box. Well made machine but it was a very early model with the 2 cycle engine. I didn't have good luck with the engine despite a rebuild and sold it. Phil:)

ncbschzzt

Occupation
john deere/hitachi field tech
I had a gator for a while that a customer destroyed, I rebuilt and ran it for a few years. They are great, however you must work it yourself. The cost of having the dealer do it isn't worth it.

jkiser96

Occupation
Concrete truck driver / business owner
We have a Kawasaki 3010 4 seat mule that when compared to the gator up the street the mule is light years ahead. The Mule can get around better & has a much better drive system than the gator. I know the company up the street paid $300 more than we did for our mule & now they are kicking themselves because they would demo different one.