• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ever blade backwards?

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
The end of the blades catch hell on the roll type curbs. I’ll be at the shop later and post some more pictures of some on the machines and what happens when you don't put anything. For now here is a picture of my grader fleet for this current winter. View attachment 210905

I could spend all summer repairing corners of moldboards lol
Be a bit chilly on that bike

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Not to dig up the past, but I was shouldering a new pave job. There was a long wait for trucks between rounds, so I did the unthinkable, I read the operators manual. It spoke of the blade being built for pushing, not pulling, and that it was ok to move small amounts of lose material, but if it was necessary, the blade is designed to grade in reverse if swung 180 degrees before doing so. Now I have always known it could be positioned that way, but have never really considered using it this configuration. I have, on many occasions, pulled a bit of material back to get rid of it, bot for the small amount of material that I am trying to lose, it wouldn't be worth the time. But the book for Volvo says it's not recomended, but it is doable.

Reactions: DB2

Welder Dave

I don't think anybody has ever suggested turning the blade backward for heavy grading or long distances. Just unique applications where it would be desirable to do so.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I don't think anybody has ever suggested turning the blade backward for heavy grading or long distances. Just unique applications where it would be desirable to do so.
yes, but I believe it was argued why would you try. I can't ever see the need for it, but it is in the operators manual

rsherril

Occupation
Geologist, Retired from teaching sciences
@cutting edge
A motorgrader is constructed to operate in the foreward "Pulling the Moldboard". That is why the thingy supporting the circle is called the Draft Frame. The front end pulls the moldboard. Once you understand this you will move to the next level. Push frames push, Draw frames pull. Big differences there and it will change your ways of operating a grader.

Welder Dave

OMG. Someone who helped develop Cat graders, helped write the manual and has over 3 decades of grader experience, several operating manuals all stating the blade can be used in reverse for some applications and you still want to argue about it. As I said previously no one is suggesting heavy grading in reverse or for long distances. The blade on most graders is made to be turned 360 deg's. and can be used in all those positions unless it specifically says not to. Cutting Edge discovered it says the blade can be used in reverse in his manual. It's not very common but can be done.

Raildudes dad

When I started in the road business in 1972, we primed our gravel before paving with RT-2 Road Tar -2. It would soak into the gravel 1-2 inches. Once the gravel was complected and to grade, the grader would back blade the gravel to open it up for the prime Almost every operator would spin the blade 180 degrees to back blade in the forward direction.
Then the oil companies convinced everyone to switch to an emulsion product, a lighter grade of the refinery column emulsified with water. I can remember my first job - curb and gutter- when we primed with emulsion and it rained shortly later. All the emulsion ponded up in the low spots. Since the curb was on the gravel with 3-4 inch expose on the gutter pan, the emulsion was 3-4 inches deep and any higher went down the storm sewer. RT became hard to get so the prime coat was removed from the plans and specifications.
Now days, the gravel gets graded, compacted, and the asphalt placed right on the gravel.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
@cutting edge
A motorgrader is constructed to operate in the foreward "Pulling the Moldboard". That is why the thingy supporting the circle is called the Draft Frame. The front end pulls the moldboard. Once you understand this you will move to the next level. Push frames push, Draw frames pull. Big differences there and it will change your ways of operating a grader.
you may have been a great teacher, but reading must have eluded your grasp. I realize that you pull the drawbar. But only in a straight configuration. Any angle of the MB, and you are deflecting the material. Were it possible, I would put my grading knowledge and skills against yours any time. No offence to others, any asshole can grade a road, myself included, only a few can fine grade, me also included. My statement was only to add to the discussion, that while I can't see myself doing it, and here's where the reading part comes in, so pay attention..... It actually says it is possible in the operators manual. Unless you are just foolin, then forget the whole thing.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
You can drive a car a hundred miles an hour in a school zone. Do you think it would be worth it to try.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
You can drive a car a hundred miles an hour in a school zone. Do you think it would be worth it to try.
If I felt like it perhaps. No school after hours or on weekends. There's always a way around things. Some of you guys seem really against it. I think I'll try it just for dirt

Welder Dave

It's like saying you can't put a bucket on an excavator backwards. It's not common but people have successfully done it for unusual applications.

John C.

Occupation
Putting a bucket on an excavator backwards is a very common thing to do now days with the advent of quick couplers. It's not the same issue at all.

Welder Dave

How can you dispute something that says it can be done in the operators manual? It seems to me that the first thing you should do before operating any machine is fully read the operators manual. My Cat has a placard on it saying the exact same thing.

John C.

Occupation
So how many graders have you run, serviced or repaired? How much money have you put into something an operator tore up doing something stupid and knowing that because of it someone on the payroll might not get a check on time?

Welder Dave

This is beyond ridiculous. An experienced finish grader operator just confirmed you can blade in reverse according to the operators manual he keeps in the machine. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it stupid. Cat, Volvo and others say it can be done. Since you work on all these machines you must have a boatload of manuals. Show me in a manual where it specifically says not to reverse the blade and grade in reverse. We'll start with Cat since they are the most popular graders on the market. I don't want your opinion, I want a page from a Cat manual specifically stating not to grade in reverse.

John C.

Occupation
You didn't answer my question. What have you ever done with a grader?

Welder Dave

I posted they can be used in reverse to answer a query and this was confirmed by experienced operators and in the operating manuals. I never expected to get in an argument about something that says can be done in a manual. I also recently talked to the head grader instructor at the operating engineers training center near my property. They have a new Cat 140 (no letter, which you questioned), a Cat 140M2, a JD 770G and a Cat 140H they are selling. He has been running graders for 37 years and came down to put a 3% slope on my oval track. I asked him if he's ever graded in reverse. He said he's turned the blade backward but hasn't had the need to grade in reverse on jobs he's done but can see where it could be useful. He also knows who Randy Krieg is and reiterated that he is the acknowledged Cat grader expert and wouldn't question anything Randy says can be done with a grader. He did write the manual after all. You don't accept this so show me where it has a specific warning not to grade in reverse in a (Cat) operators manual? That's all, not more questions your personal opinions or attacks on me.

John C.

Occupation
You still haven't answered my question. What have you ever done with a grader?

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
And don't it make my brown eyes, don't it make my brown eyes, don't it make my brown eyes blue........