• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

EV

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
We loaded coal cars to 100 short tons. Each train was two engines in front and one in back moving 105 to 110 cars. They only pulled down to a valley floor and then north through the valley and along Puget Sound to Canada. Our coal was bituminous but very hot with less ash and sulfur, 12,500 BTU per pound. It was mixed with Wyoming coal for shipment to Korea and China. I see some of the Wyoming coal trains now days have three engines up front and one at the rear.

John C.

Occupation
I think that has as much to do with braking as it does with pulling or pushing.

cfherrman

Hate to break up all the talk about trains, if HP is HP, that means I can put my pickup diesel engine in a big truck and start grossing 80,000 with it? Same HP after all.

suladas

I think that has as much to do with braking as it does with pulling or pushing.

I was told the one's in the middle or rear are for when they go around corners and reduce stress on the couplers. I would also assume for air pressure for braking as most connections leak like a SOB.

The number of engines also very on the size, don't see a lot of them but the 6 axle ones have to be a lot more power to have 50% more axles.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
cfherrman yes can do that, does not have the torque of bigger mass engines nor the longevity of lower rpm large mass engines. HP is but one part of that equation.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
I was told the one's in the middle or rear are for when they go around corners and reduce stress on the couplers. I would also assume for air pressure for braking as most connections leak like a SOB.

The number of engines also very on the size, don't see a lot of them but the 6 axle ones have to be a lot more power to have 50% more axles.
"Distributed Power" is the spacing out of engines, not for coupler stress so much as it is for curves.
"C" truck (3 axle) or "B" truck (4 axle) the HP is the same.

John C.

Occupation
Horsepower is a function of physics and is calculated. Horsepower does not move anything, it is a measurement of the amount of work being accomplished in a specified time frame. Torque is a measurement of rotational force. It is torque that moves a train, a truck, a generator armature, a pump or a car. Torque can be physically measured. Horsepower is calculated from rotational speed and measured torque. The best way I have found to think of horsepower is it's the ability to accelerate.

Using illustrative numbers, a 2,000 horsepower locomotive may have to produce 10,000 foot pounds of torque to move a loaded rail car weighing 100 tons. A top fuel dragster can produce the 2,000 horsepower but can only make 5,000 foot pounds of torque so could only move the railroad car if it has some kind of torque multiplying device between the engine and the output to the ground to pull against.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
A top fuel dragster can produce the 2,000 horsepower but can only make 5,000 foot pounds of torque so could only move the railroad car if it has some kind of torque multiplying device between the engine and the output to the ground to pull against.

Plus that fuel dragster is only built to be able to produce that 2,000HP for a few seconds at a time. Even if it was hooked to a gear reducer to get the torque need to pull the train by the time it got two or three freight cars to start moving it would grenade from the stress on all the parts!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Political comment deleted, to comply with Forum Rules.
'
Exactly, so HP is not HP, there is a difference on how and when the HP is produced.

No, HP remains HP, Torque is the value of work performed against HP. HP sustains basic engine operation, Torque is the work that can be delivered. Torque from base HP at 'O' RPM as with electric motors (Instantaneous) is different than Swinging Mass in a IC Engine that derives HP from Fuel to achieve Mass rotation. Ever thought as to why a Clutch and Flywheel weigh so much? LOW RPM HEAVY engines derive HP at a FAR lower range than a 6 to 9L engine, Two Stroke derived HP at near to Full RPM allowing a far less RPM drop before torque would not maintain. A NH250 Cummins made 250hp at 2100rpm, HOWEVER still maintained close to 700lb/ft torque at 1500rpm. A 7.3 PS Internasty in a 2000 Ford made 235hp at 2700rpm and only 500lb/ft torque at 1600, same load to both engines the 250 wins. Unsustainable HP to Torque Curve is what you are talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Truck Shop

A two cylinder John Deere is a very good example, very large bore and very long stroke. Will create
a fair amount of torque. Cut the weight of the massive flywheel by half and see what torque-less
engine it becomes-it survives by a large reciprocating mass.

4x4ford

Occupation
aunts on the strip Currently drive a 1951 chevy pa
I’ve been watching him since he started on this so far he’s trying to use all off the shelf parts so the large manufacturers will stay away since there is no proprietary parts for them to hold hostage he posts on tik tok fairly regularly