• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

EV

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Had H2 in storage at the nuke, most larger power stations do for generator cooling, nuke also used for pressurization of reactor coolant to keep O2 down as would recombine at high heat in there to make more water.
Keep hearing of using nukes to make H2, where we used more than could produce even as the process does produce some yet is isotopic radiologically Hot and had to be recombined in reactive recombiners to make water for discharge and to separate the actively hot gases as Nitrogen, Argon, Helium, ‘Radon Daughters’ so could store those to decay below acceptable levels to discharge.

Scary when start up a recombiner heating heavily saturated H2 atmosphere from the reactor coolant off gas then add O2 SLOWLY making water until the usable H2 is gone.

N6 a isotope of Nitrogen was screaming hot, half life in minutes, would be next to non detectable in a few hours.

skyking1

"That, and the perception from the pictures of the Hindenburg crash/fire."
The fact is, it is more than just a perception. LPG,CNG, Oxygen too are quite a lot of stored mayhem.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
"That, and the perception from the pictures of the Hindenburg crash/fire."
The fact is, it is more than just a perception. LPG,CNG, Oxygen too are quite a lot of stored mayhem.
Well, the only saving grace for hydrogen could be that when released it goes UP.
LPG pools, and CNG & Ox kinda "Hang around" too.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The danger of hydrogen is the tremendous pressure it has to be stored under the keep it a liquid. With a liquid fuel like gasoline the connection to the tank is just a slip fit nozzle that is open to the atmosphere. A connection for high pressure liquid must not only seal the fuel off from the atmosphere but also be impervious to the extreme cold that it takes to keep the fuel in liquid form. The hydrogen in the blimp was in a gas form already and the reason it flamed on when an ignition source became present.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
The danger of hydrogen is the tremendous pressure it has to be stored under the keep it a liquid. With a liquid fuel like gasoline the connection to the tank is just a slip fit nozzle that is open to the atmosphere. A connection for high pressure liquid must not only seal the fuel off from the atmosphere but also be impervious to the extreme cold that it takes to keep the fuel in liquid form. The hydrogen in the blimp was in a gas form already and the reason it flamed on when an ignition source became present.
What pressure would that be ?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I guess if it can be stored as a liquid it on needs 5 to 12 KG or 70 to 170 PSI. The tank would need to be heavily insulated. If the fuel were a compressed gas, the tank would need to be rated between 5,000 to 10,000 PSI. The facts are laid out at the link below.

https://www.energy.gov/eere/fuelcells/hydrogen-storage-basics-0

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
What is wild is Truck Delivery is generally done by Pressure equalization, NOT PUMPED. We would use one bank that was refilled to around 2000psi until would drop below 150psi, isolate that unit bring the alternate online and allow the truck to reload the low tanks, Run the Alternate down as low for its own reload, NOT Allowed to see tank pressure below 30psig. Trucks were generally at or above 2500psi at arrival, GROUNDED EVERYTHING and EVERYONE within thirty feet of the delivery and anyone not necessary left the area. Any amount of gas in air above 6% to over 60% became Rapid Burn capable(Explosion). Generator ran in a ~70psig gassed state no less than 95% Purity.

Generator or Reactor Coolant system purges were equally exciting, Main Gen we would vent lower H2 gas pressure to under 20# from a high point, begin adding CO2 at a low on generator housing entry port, when a H2 monitor would no longer detect in a offgas header would stop the CO2 and swap to compressed air until the CO2 would not register. Reactor tanks would vent off to Filter Adsorber Charcoal trains for building exhaust, take tanks Water solid after reached Zero Pressure then drop level SLIGHTLY to allow monitor of the above liquid vapor space, ANY H2 and would vent that puppy AGAIN, over and over. All large volume tanks were Building EXTERNAL situated, Vented to Atmosphere so H2 could LEAVE safely.

Driver would arrive with a trailer as this, and fill from ONE Cylinder at a time.
Compressed_hydrogen_tube_trailer.jpg

cfherrman

Man if only I had money and opportunity in my life.

In highschool (2002) I said why don't they make small engine turbos

In college (2005) I thought of hydrogen powered engines

Relatively recent I've been thinking of diesel over electric heavy trucks

(Thought/idea is the easiest part of anything)

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
And as I thought.

Too late to the party, EV manufacturers won't allow it as too much money is tied up in the subsidy programs now along with programs to put EV stations nationwide. Only thing would save them is if they could switch petrol stations tanks/pumps out and put hydrogen tanks/pumps in their place.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
A mate of mine made a system to take hydrogen out of water and injected into the intake manifold on a Toyota Coaster bus as a horsepower booster. Cost him 30 dollars to make and 0 to run was better than a turbo :)

cfherrman

Cost electricity (solar power) to take hydrogen out if water, when you burn hydrogen the exhaust is water.

I always wanted to try a carb engine with a multi fuel propane kit, but hook a hydrogen bottle to it.

mitch504

Workboat Magazine had an article this month on a system for the "reformation" of methanol and ionized water to produce hydrogen to use in fuel cells to power electric tugboats. They said one of the great advantages was that methanol and ionized water were both readily available in bulk in almost all ports, where hydrogen was not.

I personally would not have any idea where to get either one in the port of Georgetown, SC. Are they really that readily available?

On edit: the online article says 88 out of the largest 100 ports in the world, not almost all ports.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Cost electricity (solar power) to take hydrogen out if water, when you burn hydrogen the exhaust is water.

I always wanted to try a carb engine with a multi fuel propane kit, but hook a hydrogen bottle to it.
The Mother Earth news did just that a long, long time ago.
Might want to search for the article.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired

Now this has got me thinking. If I was to put a hydrogen thingamegig into my boat a 350 Chev could be zero emissions. Wouldn't the greenies hate that.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Only issue with H2 fuel is the volume or requirement to refuel a general size storage container. H2 when burns in air is not visible except the heat trails where refueling could be rather interesting. Explosive level of H2 in air is a wide volumetric and a concern. Presently the only volume method of H2 production is from natural gas, all other sources trickle in tiny amounts.