• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

EV

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
It doesn't make sense to me. How far up a 6% can the battery get you at 80k? Seat of my pants says not very far. You will be running direct generator to electric most of the way up the grade.

Also what I did not see was the giant electric heating element they must need for downhill braking after the batteries get 100% full from regeneration.

Truck Shop

It doesn't make sense to me. How far up a 6% can the battery get you at 80k? Seat of my pants says not very far. You will be running direct generator to electric most of the way up the grade.

Also what I did not see was the giant electric heating element they must need for downhill braking after the batteries get 100% full from regeneration.

I wondered about that also, maybe they haven't got that far yet.

cfherrman

I bet that thing can go up a grade, slowly.

I think they need to ditch the battery packs and add in a second Tesla motor until they get the wheel motors installed.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Seems Teslas and Salt Conditions do NOT like each other. Aftermath of Hurricane Ian is Tesla Fires from Corrosion Onset of the batteries.

Would concern myself as to Severe Salt usage of road departments in winter and how that will affect these.

Florida official: EVs starting fires in hurricane aftermath (newsnationnow.com)
I've often wondered that myself. Whatever it is they started spraying on the roads here is eating the concrete up on people's garage floors. That can't be good for wiring. I mean salt was bad enough that you're re-wiring the tail lights on the heavy trucks every spring anyways, regardless of how well you try and seal it all up.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
How does aluminum fare with the road salt?
I've got one of those aluminum Fords and winter of 2020 I accidently opened the door into a post at a gas station and put an inch long split in the paint where it got hit. Numerous pressure washes and 2 winters on it since then and the paint has yet to bubble, blister or flake in that area.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
So far 2017 Exploder one hood due to corrosion from spot welded seam line, warranty at 11 mos., caught second one starting same region last month, body shop tried best to kill corrosion and repainted. Aluminum hood.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Ford tissue paper F150s have a steel frame issue. Boxed to make tin stronger also holds all the crud to enjoy chewing on it. Local body shop has changed several full frames under ten years age and all under 80,000miles. Do not for once will believe Tesla cars will survive five to eight years in midwest full time use due to salted roads and critters that enjoy munching the soy based plastics in them.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Ford tissue paper F150s have a steel frame issue. Boxed to make tin stronger also holds all the crud to enjoy chewing on it. Local body shop has changed several full frames under ten years age and all under 80,000miles. Do not for once will believe Tesla cars will survive five to eight years in midwest full time use due to salted roads and critters that enjoy munching the soy based plastics in them.
Several times a year I shove the garden hose into each hole in the frame and flush out everything. Same with the fender wells, inside the box sides, door gaps etc. Takes a bit of time but I never have rust issues on my vehicles.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
They will eat the Ford vehicles too, except they get an extra boost to gnaw away faster and longer...
https://corporate.ford.com/articles...alds-coffee-bean-car-parts-collaboration.html

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I believe Tesla's are aluminum frame
Only in the crumple zones.
Tesla-Model-3-steel-aluminum.png