1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

europian pavers

Discussion in 'Pavers' started by stevinmonteur, Mar 15, 2007.

1. stevinmonteur

stevinmonteur Active Member

mechanic
    heymans

some pics I got from Heymans, NL
    there are some parts they don't want to be published :):)

Attached Files:

2. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B Administrator

Digger Driver
    Marco, fantastic pictures as always.:notworthy

3. lars

lars Active Member

I know a few answered parts of the question already, but as I understand it shuttle buggies remix asphalt in addition to keeping a constant stream of movement. The remixing eliminates the cool parts of the truckload and gets a more consistent load into the paver. Having a hot, consistent mix ensures greater compaction and eliminates dead spots were cool asphalt went down and didn't adhere to the base or other asphalt.

Shuttle buggies are on a lot of DOT jobs where there are strict specifications on compaction and temperature. Terex/Cedarapids has a paver that mixes in the hopper, but does not seem as popular as a Roadtec shuttle buggy around here.

4. lars

lars Active Member

Nice pics, Stevin. Since you seem to be our resident expert on European pavers, can you tell us some of the differences between European pavers and their American counterparts? It seems that some of the machines across the pond are a lot bigger. The biggest ABG can go wider than 50 ft while most American machines go 25-30 ft max. Are there any other major differences between machines?

5. Bellboy

Bellboy COPPA

Student
    Ya, me too.

We mos dump straight into the paver. We don't know what shuttle buggies are.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  6. Bellboy

Bellboy COPPA

Student
    Most of our equipment is pretty old, but still works fine. But seeing that red 'mack, makes me remember that they used a similar thing to prepare this country for the 2010 Soccer World Cup. Down in Durban, they made a lane for buses, and other public transport vehicles. it sounds as though it is working, but not sure for how long though. As for the Gautrain... lots of cat equipment though. Would like to get a slice of that pie!

7. buddy605

buddy605 Well-Known Member

Engineering tech/ survey
    I was wondering how does your paving mat last in europe especially in northern climates. What mix is used and type of quality control. Here our paving is not lasting that long and I was wondering was it the superpave or the shallow lifts.

8. Tick

Tick Member

nice pictures guys

9. powerjoke

powerjoke Senior Member

owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
    I know alot has commented on the red asphalt but i didnt see an question or answer on how they make the asphalt red?

Pj

10. The Tackman

The Tackman Well-Known Member

Paving Foreman in Atlanta
    Let's see any pictures of Distributor trucks from Europe.

11. schuiver

schuiver Well-Known Member

12. cps

cps Senior Member

plant mechanic
    Great video, keep them coming!

13. Aussie Leroy

Aussie Leroy Senior Member

Fantastic video's good to see how you guys pave and mill cheers Leroy

14. andoman

andoman Well-Known Member

It's really neat to see but man does that seam like a lot of cost and wasted material changing from color to color.

15. JimBruce42

JimBruce42 Senior Member

operator
    Just to add to that, the Shuttle buggies remix with a special three angle auger at the bottom of the hopper. It gives a more consistant remixing of material and temperatures than the hopper inserts. It also keeps the paver moving, because you never have to stop to wait for a truck to back up to the paver and it takes away that "bump" that someone else mentioned. I think they say it reduces the number of trucks required too, but I'm not sure about how cause it seems like it only holds about a truck load worth.

There are many DOT jobs where I think the contract requires using the shuttlebuggies. I believe Blaw-knox used to have the hopper mixers as well.

Cool photos btw. Never seen anyone around here make such a wide pass with just one paver though. Don't you have to worry about the material at the edges not being as uniform?

16. mobiscreen

mobiscreen Member

hot in hot paving

dynapac hot in hot paver

Attached Files:

17. mobiscreen

mobiscreen Member

hot in hot paving

top view hoppers, front screed is electrical heated, second screed is gas heated

Attached Files:

18. mobiscreen

mobiscreen Member

hot in hot paving

mobile feeder

Attached Files:

19. mobiscreen

mobiscreen Member

slope paving

strabach paving in belgium

Attached Files:

20. mobiscreen