1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

European Tag A Long Trailers

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by Nac, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Bob Horrell

Bob Horrell Charter Member

Owner/Operator grading business
    The guy that brings me all my aggregate material has 6 transfer dumps and he and most of his guys are real good a backing them. A lot of times they have to back around a corner to leave the job site.
    We have a truck/transfer race at our local county fair and the owner has entered every year for over 20 years. He has won something like 14 times and held a record for 8 years. One of the things they have to do in the race is back the truck and transfer through a set of rails that are only one foot wider than the rig without touching the rails. He has even shifted in reverse while backing through the rails - that's how fast he nails it once he is sure he is straight. His son, who is 20 now, started driving one of his dad's trucks at 18 and he also competes in this race. He has been real close to beating his dad - this year he was only 0.3 seconds behind him. Of course, he has been backing his dad's trucks in the yard since he was about 13 years old.
    It just takes practice, like anything else and some people just have a knack for certain things.

2. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B Administrator

Digger Driver
    Yep, the first or front bogey swivels...that makes it a dog trailer. If the bogey was fixed (no axles at front just axles in the middle), or in a Tag, then it would be a pig trailer.....But I couldn't find any pics of my old Pig Dog (Bull Terrier Staffy cross :D).

They are popular here for Owner Operators because they can run 14 odd tonnes in the 6 wheeler with no trailer, small jobs, cleanups, restricted access etc. Or, they can run the same load as a semi (tractor) with the dog trailer. Some rigs are even running 4 & 5 axle (Superdogs) with a Gross combination of 50 tonnes under new laws.

Bob, I'd love to see that guy reversing his rig in a race. We have one guy here who swears by his old Mercedes Truck and he runs a 3 axle dog trailer. He pulls up on the road and reverses the rig straight in at 90 degress to a pad or wherever I want it..never miss..or I should say never hits a peg (grade stake). He's got both drive diffs with lockers and he leaves a lot of newer rigs for dead on a building site.

3. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B Administrator

Digger Driver
    Thanks for the pics Big Iron, heres some trailers built local in my state;

http://www.haulmore.com.au/Custom Built.htm

I have no peciunary interest in this company....honest...but I would like to spend some cash with them if I could afford it:crying

4. Electra_Glide

Electra_Glide Senior Member

Probably not the same guy that Bob is talking about, but there's a pretty good video on YouTube. Also shows how a transfer truck works for anybody who's never seen one in action (which included me until I saw this video...not somethin' we see in Western PA).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urKuWgtBYxI

This one has some doubles backing at the end of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyWcgdydDzY

Note that no cones or stakes were harmed in any of these maneuvers...:thumbsup

Joe

5. sbrem

sbrem Well-Known Member

6. Tacodriver

Tacodriver Well-Known Member

Yarder op, hoechucker, lowbedder etc..
    I have a question for you Nac do those trailers have any way of transfering any weight to the drive axles on the truck? It seems as though any hill or slippry surface would cause problems unless the truck had a load on it.

7. Nac

Nac Senior Member

Construction
    No because the tounge pivots up and down so no weight is on the truck.

8. cat320

cat320 Charter Member

So with that type od sysytem you could tow with less of a truck because no weight is actually on the rear end?

9. Nac

Nac Senior Member

Construction
    Yes exactly.

10. imjustdave

imjustdave Well-Known Member

As a bit of advice, don't do it. I have a 06 dodge with a bumper pull trailer. Trailers weighs in between 12K-15K with about 1200lbs on the truck. There are times that I don't have enought traction going up and down hills, Actually one time I stoped on a gravel road and if I didn't have 4wd I woulnd't have started going again up hill. I can't even imagine no weight on the back of the truck, it would be like a truck pull every day, going down the street. I wish I had a goosneck, but in the mean time the bumper trailer will work

11. OzDozer

OzDozer Senior Member

Semi-Retired ..
    If you want to haul a 'tag' machinery or plant trailer, as in the Italian and Australian models .. you need to haul it with a rig that grosses at least 2/3rds of the gross trailer weight you're hauling. Anything less, and you're asking for trouble.
    Australian truck/machinery trailer combo operators, know to carry a load of dirt, or a machine in the dump box, when hauling loaded machinery trailers.

Backing a 'tag' or 'dog' trailer is no problem, provided the drawbar length is correct. Short drawbars are a no-no, you can't back properly with a short drawbar. Short drawbars also contribute to trailer tailwag.
    All the road train trailers, dog trailers, and tag trailers in Australia, with an articulated front axle, or axles .. have long drawbars to facilitate towing and backing ease.

We also have 'tag' trailers, with no front axle, that use a heavy duty, saucer style, coupling known as a 'Bartlett' coupling.
    This style of trailer transfers a large % of weight onto the hauling rig, and the hauling rig has to have a heavy duty Bartlett-style hitch, usually consisting of heavy external chassis plating for several feet behind the drive axle, or axles.
    Needless to say, Bartlett-style hitches are designed for use with heavy-duty trucks, not pickups ..
    Some of the U.S. style, of so-called heavy duty, pickup trailers .. even gooseneck trailers .. are frightening, in their ability to overload pickups ..

http://www.truckhub.com.au/DesktopD...ksearch&MTA=False&TabID=3443&Alias=truckhubau

http://users.westconnect.com.au/~tagalong/

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  12. busdrivernine

busdrivernine Well-Known Member