• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

European Tag A Long Trailers

kamerad47

I wouldn't want to be in front of that guy coming down a hill!! You wonder about the brakes on a single axle? That's like playing with fire!!!!

CT18fireman

Occupation
Owner
If it was set up correctly then braking should not really be an issue if the guy maintained his speed correctly.

On my equipment trailer I have the brakes set up nice, they won't lock up, but I can almost feel them braking the whole trailer and causing a bit of slack in the hitch.

DR RPM

Occupation
Dirt Flinger
We pull tri-axle gravel wagons like that all the time, but most guys are going to quads now to haul more. A few companies are using lowboys with a tandem convertor but not that common but gravel trailers very common :bash

Landman

Charter Member
Occupation
Landscape, Excavating, Paving, & Snow Removal Cont
You would be ok with a single axle for your 160 and a 20 ton trailer. We have an international 2900 with a 10' dump body and a 26' deck eager beaver 20 ton trailer and we tow a cat 215 excavator and have no problem, we do not do this everyday either. If you are doing this everyday then you should buy a tandum dump. we have out truck registered at 55,000lbs. If you had a trailer like that around here with all the traffic i think it may cause more difficultly getting around some areas. Also In NJ you would have to get a double/triple trailer endorsement on your CDL to tow that.

Nac

Occupation
Construction
I know this is an old tread but was looking threw a magazine my unkle brought me from Italy and all you see are these type of trailers. I still think it is superior to our tagalong trailers. For you guys not from the states do you see these and what is your opinion?

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
This is a old thread.

I looked at the start and that trailer looks like a step deck with a beaver tail and ramps with a converter dolly under it. You can have a custom trailer built that the converter dolly is perminatly fixed under the trailer.

The problem with with a wagon cart is they are a biatch to back up if you never had done it before its frigging frustrating. All it takes is one little bit of a over turn on the truck and the damn trailer is wandering all over.

If you need to haul heavier machines find a cheap truck tractor and lowbed so much easier.

Nac

Occupation
Construction
Here are some more pics.

Attachments

• 52b.jpg
    52b.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 331
  • rimo4.1.jpg
    rimo4.1.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 326
  • 135b.jpg
    135b.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 329

Nac

Occupation
Construction
Now looking at the picture it is pretty much like a pup trailer. Could you have the front axle fixed (no swivel)? I know on the triaxle trailer the last axle is self steering

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
Seems like the pup trailer from our rolloff, a real pain in the azz if if didn't have truck set up with the switch for pin acuator that keeps the pivot point from moving, if that isn't in place it was worthless unless you only went forward.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
That teal colored trailer wouldn't back up worth a damn because there is too much drag on the ground and with it being so short there is no leverage to force those tires to slide sideways. I don't think it would pull very well forward either you start making turns its going to be dragging like crazy.

If you are going with a trailer like that make sure its tandem axle on the rear or make it like a transfer trailer with quad axles tandems on the rear and tandems on the front.

Nac

Occupation
Construction
Here some more pics i found. The last picture looks like a standard tag a long but has triaxle in the center I wounder if there are 3 guys in that truck for 3 machines.

Attachments

• PICT0031_01.1.jpg
    PICT0031_01.1.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 398
  • 3a8eb33e9a.1.jpg
    3a8eb33e9a.1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 399
  • bg_low_loader_1.jpg
    bg_low_loader_1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 404

hvy 1ton

A couple of my friends fathers can back up 2 wagons and have been known to throw in a third from time to time :eek: (it's about to rain). Now this is with 4020 size tractor (red, orange, blue, ... insert favorite color here...), where you can see everything and it might be a different story with a dumpbox between you and the trailer. I can't seem to back one up if you point a gun at my head, but that's b/c i never use them. IF you can spend enough time dorking with it you should figure it out, although i don't know anyone that learned how to do it past the age of 12, that might just b/c you have be 12 to have enough free time to try it a couple thousand times? :beatsme

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
We use dollys to load trailers onto barges it gets interesting when you have a 988 loader with a dolly so the machine pivots the hitch pivots and the fifth wheel turns. You have 3 pivot points the key is to try keep the dolly straight so it doesn't jackknife and be carefull.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
We had one like that for moving bails man that thing was a beast we most only moved it with our tractors, loaded we couldn't move it with our DRW GMC 6x6.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I've been following this thread with interest and especially the comments on reversing what is, essentially, as we call it, a dog trailer. Must be tens of thousands of 2 & 3 axle trucks down here pulling 3 & 4 axle dogs everyday. Most of our sand gets delivered by dog trailers.

http://www.austip.com.au/pdfs/products/TBB 0606 ATS ed.pdf

When I'm on the loader I tell them exactly where I want the dump and they reverse in the trailer and tip. Then they jack the dog and tip the truck and you'd have think it was done with a semi.

Reversing an articulated axle trailer is not rocket science:confused: Just takes practice thats all. Well...just some comments in this thread seem to make it appear as if the the things are almost un-reversible. JMHO:cool:

Nac

Occupation
Construction
Squizzy246B is the 1st axle fixed or does it swivel? That what I think for them to be so popular overseas they must be able to back them up .

Big Iron

Occupation
Project Manager
Reversing an articulated axle trailer is not rocket science:confused: Just takes practice thats all. Well...just some comments in this thread seem to make it appear as if the the things are almost un-reversible. JMHO:cool:

any trailer can be backed, some are just more of a PITA than others and your right it is not rocket science.

the small platform trailers are comman in europe because of there manuverability. there are 2 photos of platform trailers shown. you see these all the time in europe. i have pulled this type of trailer configured with 768 wheels, gross load 9.7M # and it was backed up several times.

now the one that is tough to back up is the multi dolly system,which is the one being pulled by the SX45 Mack (16v71 @ 650 hp) that one is a toughy and will get you :Banghead and at a loss for cuss words:mad:

anyway thought you might like to see some unusual trailers that are a bear to back.

Attachments

• multiple dollies.jpg
    multiple dollies.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 324
  • River_Cruise11(2).jpg
    River_Cruise11(2).jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 320
  • small platform.jpg
    small platform.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 313
Last edited by a moderator:

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
This is what we have out here for transfer trailers but those trailers are never taken into tight areas because they don't back up very well. With those boxes the dump truck un-hitches the box on the trailer sides into the box of the dump truck then it can be taken anywhere in the back of the truck.

Attachments

• Transfer.JPG
    Transfer.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 305
  • Transfer 1.JPG
    Transfer 1.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 304