• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Euclis TSS40 and DW20 with doubles

renovator

I am fascinated with the TTSS-40. I bet the ground shook when those 3 big Detroits were running. Does anyone have a guess as to how the second axle on the front scraper was configured? I assume it was powered. How was the suspension set up--walking beam--independent floater? How was it powered--like a tandem truck?

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . I now have a connection where I could view that video . . . and it bloody near bought tears to my eyes. I reckon that era was as good as the dirt game ever got.

I wondered for a while how they ran the string for the second scoop . . . I notice there is even a Le Torneau tagged on behind I think maybe a Wooldrige and then I saw a second PCU mounted in front of the radiators !!! American ingenuity at its absolutely finest . . . and not one of the hotshots on this board would have a clue as to how to run that gear today.

How did they operate the front PCU and what were the tranny's in those TSS40's . . . any one know?

Cheers.

61BG

gary in CA. This is my first post & I signed up today to let you know that your video is the best one on youtube. It is an absolute jewel. Let your brother in law know that he had great insight & vision to film those bad boys way back then. I cant tell you how many times Ive veiwed your video,it just blows me away! Also your selection of songs is also right on the money,all are great ones Ive liked over the years. You should be proud & I thank you from Canada.

gary in CA

Thanks 61BG, I appreciate your kind comments.Murl has gotten phone calls from all over the world asking questions about the scrapers and is happy so many have gotten to see it.

Kelly

Occupation
Retired/OE Local #3
Thanks again Gary, I see the boys are shooting craps at 22:16 & 17 must have been lunch time. LOL

gary in CA

Kelly,three of Murls brothers and a brother in law worked the Aqueduct job at the same time.Murl thinks it was after work fun waiting for a ride.

DPete

I watched it 3 times, thanks for the effort. I like the DW20's pulling an extra scraper with a cable control mounted on the grill, took some engineering to make it happen.

euclid

Occupation
Engineering
You know once Euclid was bought out by GM I feel it was a turning point for this great company and they never recovered. With all this global market jazz these machines now are overpriced software dependent pieces of crap! Yes ergonomics and safety are very important aspects to being able to operate a machine and not become totally fatigued. Software was supposed to enhance critical operations like the motor and transmission and other areas of health management in the machine. With the push of new machines on the part of competitive edge these companies skimp on proper regression testing with software and then once in the field they are down due to issues. The lessons learned are being accomplished in the field around the world instead of the lab with programs that would find the faults or single point failures. Yes there are many carry over programs that have maturity and they help in the process. The world wonders why construction is always over budget and it is because of all the down equipment. This isn’t the case in all aspects but in many and I ran Cat loaders for years until they became crap. I loaded with a Komatsu 380 for a while and although a bit lite compared to the Cats I ran it was hardly ever down and it was quiet and was good on fuel consumption given the work I was doing.
Oh what I’d do to be able to not only kick the tires of an old 52 uke I ran in high school again. That ole 6-71 Detroit could be heard miles away.

EquipmentLover

older thread, but this is an absolutely amazing video. Brings me back to when I was younger, and the tail-end of the interstates were being completed as well as other large civil engineering projects. I grew up in Northeast Ohio my whole life, about 20 minutes from the Euclid factory in Euclid, OH and 40 minutes from the Terex plant in Hudson OH (which is now a giant "Jo Ann Fabrics" outlet, sadly). The Euclid factory was down the shoreway around E. 222nd street, a reasonable distance to the Port of Cleveland on Lake Erie. I remember seeing the ship yards with tons of pieces of Euclid Scrapers, Quarry Trucks, Dozers, etc. staged for loading, presumably destined for overseas, or west coast dam + infrastructure jobs. I was very little, but I remember distinctly, these TTSS40's or similar "double bowl" scrapers down there (maybe S-24 double bowl???) amongst those groups of equipment on multiple occasions. Glorious times those were... Like I said, the Euclid factory in particular was very close to the port, and sometimes they would "road" these trucks directly to the port for shipment, instead of breaking them down into pieces on trailers. Must remember that trucks weren't the 400 ton capacity behemoths that they are now. Once they misjudged the clearance underneath one of the bridges on I-90W along the lake, and got a haul truck (not sure what size) wedged underneath the bridge at E. 72nd street. I'd give anything to go back to those times.....

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I would have loved to run one od those twin bowl Euclids for awhile. They probably wouldn't need to pay me. :D
Three 16v71s could make some good music.