• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Euclid tranny woes

krusty

Gang,

Picked up an old euclid rear dumper. Cummins NHRS engine and a Fuller 10-F-1220 transmission. When I push in the clutch either starting out or to shift when moving, its like the main shaft wont stop rotating and the clutch is sticking and not going free in the pressure plate/flywheel. The tranny gears grind shifting into any gear. I have checked all travel and you can see the throwout bearing press up against the fingers with good travel.

Before I drop the tranny and tear into things, any other things to consider? AM awaiting for my service manual which should be here in a couple of days. If I start the truck in gear I can drive it no problem in a single gear. There are no odd noises and shifting itself is fine with the engine off.

My parts diagram shows a very simple transmission to take apart. I know in my old JD dozer there is a gauge to set the clutch pressure plate finger height. The grinding gears are annoying me to death to get an idea of issue before I climb under it and take the tranny out. Wisdom appreciated.

The only other thing I could see is that the input shaft had a bearing in it, and if it is stiff, would cause the main shaft to continue to rotate....but with no clutch pressure, you would think it would settle down.

Krusty,

Vetech63

Sounds like the individual pieces of your clutch have become one. I have seen friction disc rust to the flywheel or the pressure plate on old stuff that sits a long time.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Sounds like the individual pieces of your clutch have become one. I have seen friction disc rust to the flywheel or the pressure plate on old stuff that sits a long time.

I'm thinking along the same lines. Wonder if it has a single disk clutch or a double disk clutch? If a double disk the spacer plate between the two friction discs could be not floating free. Also the pilot bearing could be causing drag. Or the splines on the input shaft may be rusty along with the splines in the friction. And last maybe the pressure plate and flywheel surface are rusted and not sliding free when clutch is released.

If after the book comes in and you check out the adjustment, hate to say but pulling the transmission may be in your future!

How about posting some pictures like to see pictures!

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
This is going to sound strange, but once had a mouse nest in a Mack CL-50 clutch that wouldn't allow the release fingers to travel forward far enough to release the plates. An air hose and a really good respirator fixed that one. Face shield is a good idea too.

krusty

Thanks for the wisdom all and think you guys are correct. Something in there is sticky. Splines or disks or bearing Will get the tranny out next week I guess. I can adjust the free play of the mechanism and apply much more travel to the throwout bearing and the grinding is less, but not entirely gone. Anyways there are only two obvious issues with the truck....this grinding and one of the rear tires seems not now want to take air. Tires themselves are in decent shape.

Pics you ask? How about a video!

krusty

Should add you can see in the video when I start it to back up, it is in gear and the starter moves the truck before I let the clutch out.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Should add you can see in the video when I start it to back up, it is in gear and the starter moves the truck before I let the clutch out.
Looks like it was kind of working when the rear wheels were coming up the trailer deck. Couple slips like that and it may burnish in, if its not a bad pilot bearing.
I once worked on an old D9D that would stick steering clutches when it sat for awhile. hold the brakes and clutch controls and snap the main clutch a few times and it would free up 'til they let it sit again.

DIYDAVE

This is going to sound strange, but once had a mouse nest in a Mack CL-50 clutch that wouldn't allow the release fingers to travel forward far enough to release the plates. An air hose and a really good respirator fixed that one. Face shield is a good idea too.

Aah mouse p iss, the unintended best steel to abestos epoxy, ever to exist! Also works great at steel to steel cementing. always takes a hammer 1 size bigger, than you have with you to knock apart!;)

Clawed Backster

That is one cool old truck!
BTW, there is no way that I would have been standing where that guy was while you drove up on the trailer. Talk about a pinch point!

DIYDAVE

Reading a history of Euclid, right now. Its fulla serial numbers, If you get me one, I may be able to see what I can find out...;)

krusty

Been a stinkin' hot summer so have not attempted anything on the transmission yet. Thursday I should get a tire off and send it in for a new o ring seal. The tranny is done perplexing me. I wondered if the clutch fingers were not at the proper height so spent more time underneath it with a flashlight looking into the inspection plate. Visually the clutch fingers cant be too far off, but what is worse instead of using a locknut on the adjusting screw for the clutch fingers the previous installer welded them. So I am going to assume to go through that effort they were set properly. Then it became obvious to me that there are little pivot fulcrums that the release arms/fingers sit over. In my case, the arms are not over the fulcrums so pushing in the clutch does not get the release it needs. Unfortunately the tranny will need to come out to put a new clutch in and while that is frustrating, it strikes me as the culprit. Will try and get a photo of the fulcrum exposed where the fingers should be over. Oh well!