• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

ET Compatibility

cric8192

Hello,

Recently I’ve purchased some software online including CAT ET and CAT SIS.

I attempted to use ET on a D3G machine model year 2006 and could not access any of the diagnostic tests or calibrations- they were greyed out as if unavailable.

The software supplier claims it is because I have 2021 ET and that I need the older 2010 ET. Then goes on to say it’s one or the other or I need 2 laptops can’t have both on one.

I’ve never ran into this before and didn’t think 2006 was that old of an era for the current software to not work.

Does this sound right or do they not know what they are doing? I sure don’t when it comes to computers..

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
One the face of it, sounds strange. In my experience usually the latest version of ET is backward-compatible with anything "old". The problem comes when the version of ET in the laptop isn't "new enough" to connect with a very new-generation machine.

One possibility is that the diagnostic tests/calibrations were not applicable to that particular model, in which case they would be greyed out. Hard to tell without being there but certainly diagnostic tests are much more of a "later-generation thing" than they are with older machines.

By any chance did you take any photos or screen shots of what you were seeing on the D3G.?

cric8192

When I click on the non greyed text it then brings up the diagnostic test or calibration. I was clicking on the greyed text I guess you click the title of the category not the specific test my mistake.

From that picture you can see it detected only 1 ECM the machine ECM titled hystat trans D3, should there be a specific engine ECM also detected? I can see very simple engine information such as “coolant temp -ok” maybe this engine is not electronic enough to need its own ECM?

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Looks like a mechanical fuel pump so no there likely is not any ECM for the engine.

Bear in mind all I can do is lookup info on Google, I have no access to SIS.

JD955SC

Your supplier is selling you bootleg software and doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Hope you didn’t pay genuine prices for it.

The only issues I have ever had connecting ET to an old machine is some machines you have to calibrate with a clicker box instead of ET even though ET can talk to the ECMs. Found this out on an old D6M.