• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

estimating software

jmac

Has anybody purchased estimating sofware for site plan take off's. Cuts and fills? I would like to buy software to make my estimating job faster. I would need something that can do the math for me on volumn of material for cuts and fills and trenching. I don't need auto cad or software that cost $1000.

Thank you.

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
we use paydirt what does what your talking about...but it was more than 1k.....not sure of much that will be what your looking for , and be less then 1k....surf the web...maybe there's some deals

CT18fireman

Occupation
Owner
My brother, who is a math teacher, made a computer program using excel. If you can give the area (even odd shapes) depth / rate of slope or other facotrs, it will give volumes. You can change the percentage to allow for overages, settling, compaction whatever. I have found it to be fairly accurate on small to medium jobs. Most I have ever used it for was 120 yards and I was off by about 4-5, pretty good IMO.

I never really asked him, but I am pretty sure I could pass it along somehow.

donlang

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner- full service excavating firm
The ULTIMATE in estimating Software

I havent had time to show my face here lately, but Digger242j kicked my butt and I am here for a quick look around once again. Of all the posts, I find this one most compelling for me to respond to. I don't want anyone to think that I have any thing to do with the company, but I do want you to realize that I am absolutely sold on the following software.

It is called InSite. The web site is Insitesoftware.com

This is the most user friendly earthwork estimating software that I have found in my way too many years in this field. Its easy to use, thorough, and gives great color report pages that can be used for an awsome presentation to a potential customer (to make them think that you really do know what you are doing). Their tech support is second to NONE! They advertise 24-7, and it is real. I have called at 9:00 p.m. on a Sunday night, and got outstanding, friendly, happy to help at whatever time tech support.

With a little patience and practice, you will be able to show ANY engineer's estimate wrong on your project. It allows you to calculate cuts and fills, allows you to ballance the site, and also allows you to calculate other things such as slots for roadways, building pads, topsoil strip and replace, and a miriad of other things that the engineer usually doesnt take into consideration.

You can print cross sections anywhere on the project in multiple directions. You can print before and after 3D views. You can print cut and fill areas in color. This software is really amazing.

I attended an advanced class in New York a coulple of months ago. Not surprised, the education was worth every cent that was spent.

The down side is that it is sorta costly. If you work in the dirt daily, and need to continue to do so, you owe it to yourself to give this software a look. It really isn't for everyone as it is pricey, but it's wonderful stuff.

If you have time to look at the website, request the video. Tell them that I sent you to their site. It won't get me anything more than an e-mail saying hello, but I appreciate that too.

Don:usa

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
The Ultimate in Estimating Software

43,560 S.F. = 1 Acre
1 Inch cut over 1 Acre = 134.44 Yds.:D

Turbo21835

43,560 S.F. = 1 Acre
1 Inch cut over 1 Acre = 134.44 Yds.:D

Figure any swell in your material for that number? Ive seen the fluff factor get many a contractor. Heard that a company in the area has an extra 10,000 yards and counting to export off site. Looks like it will be costly for them.

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
Fluff and Stuff

Figure any swell in your material for that number? Ive seen the fluff factor get many a contractor. Heard that a company in the area has an extra 10,000 yards and counting to export off site. Looks like it will be costly for them.

That's the joy of small jobs, it hurts less when you screw up.:Banghead

Last edited:

z656

I purshased software from Pizer Inc. It does cut and fills, trenchs you imput your data existing gro, prosposed template. Was 300.00 dollars download to your computor.Just go to machinery trader.com, Main page, Industry software, scroll down to Pizer.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
I purshased software from Pizer Inc. It does cut and fills, trenchs you imput your data existing gro, prosposed template. Was 300.00 dollars download to your computor.Just go to machinery trader.com, Main page, Industry software, scroll down to Pizer.

Have you used it yet and what is it like???

z656

I owned it for two years.Basicly just as good as your imput. Go to Machinerytrader.com scroll down main page industry software. It has list a to z scroll down to pizer earthworks sofware.Bring that up you will have opportunity for short demo online.It is a great checker even if have more expensive programs.I think it was designed to check state road jobs. Only bad thing is you have imput all existing and proposed grades but is very flexible in there placement. I also looked at Vertigraph.com I think that sells for 1400.00 was going to buy but they raised price from 999 to 1400 last year

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
not an excavator but money spent on estimating properly and quickly is well spent. If you don't have the right bid you will either not get the job or not make what you expected. The best crew & equipment in the world can't pull out a bad bid.

What do guys figure for expansion 5% I have read?

Pecord Exc

not an excavator but money spent on estimating properly and quickly is well spent. If you don't have the right bid you will either not get the job or not make what you expected. The best crew & equipment in the world can't pull out a bad bid.

What do guys figure for expansion 5% I have read?

It all depends upon the material, rock for example sometimes a 20% fluff factor, generally soils are about 7%

then you have a compaction factor..... it can get pretty interesting

JDecker

Has anybody purchased estimating sofware for site plan take off's. Cuts and fills? I would like to buy software to make my estimating job faster. I would need something that can do the math for me on volumn of material for cuts and fills and trenching. I don't need auto cad or software that cost $1000.

Thank you.

Jmac just wanted to see if you had bought anything. I am in the same boat the one I looked at was ground rules and about $5000. And don't you need digitizers for ones like pay dirt?

Bid2Win

I'd be happy to discuss and recommend some softwares I have used with you if you would like. what is your email?

Occupation
CONSTRUCTION SURVEYOR
I use carlson take-off, but is about 9k. I use it for take-off quantities and 3d modeling. I don't know if you would find it easy, but it is quite awesome. With the extensive reports I have sold many change orders based on the information I can provide.

mockman

You can use a 5 dollar scale ruler and a 5 dollar calculator to the same extent as the computer. It is known as averaging and most computer programs work the same exact way. Using plan scale, grid it off in 100 foot intervals or smaller sometimes. Total the quantity of all stations of cut times 100 X 100 divided by 27 equals your total cut volume. Do the same thing with your fills times (in my area) 1.25 to 1.4 for your shrink volume depending on degree of compaction and type of soil and you have a job. I have done this for years and consistently match the engineers and computer boys in accuracy. It is not alot of fun and you have no 3d models to look at, but it does work. With alot of grade changes and feature's you can go down to a 50 foot or 25 foot grid. Then it is 25 x 25 x total cuts divided by 27. Smaller jobs are sometimes more accurate with smaller grid. Remember to figure to subgrade on plans with paving or buildings. You are actually supposed to take the average of the four corners by the book, but after many years, I figured out the shortcut is the same end result. I have never used this for roadways, believe cross sections are more accurate and the state figures those anyway. Works good for me on anysize building site, subdivision or just a cornfield some farmer wants leveled for irrigation. Hope this helps some of you not ready to spend the money on a computer program. Aot of those programs after you trace the contours into the memory, just do the same thing, slap a grid on them and figure the cuts and fills. This is called averaging, just like figuring concrete quantities only harder because of differing thicknesses. Cross sections are maybe more accurate, but hard to do if you are not an engineer. I have read with cad files the computers get real accurate and something about triangulation that some programs use. Anyway it is pretty accurate and can work for about anyone willing to try it. Takes not much more time than letting the computer do it for you with a digitizer or trace board. Cad files might be pretty quick, I would not know as I have never used a computer. Had a demo once and decided for six thousand I was doing okay manualy.

Estimatorguy100

Does anyone know of take off software that can do "digital" take offs (from PDF, TIF, DXF, etc.), is under a $1,000 budget, integrates with existing excel spreadsheets and also includes built-in estimating and assemblies?

z656

I have OnSreen SiteWox by vertigraph.com .I paid beginng of year 1000.00 regular 1450.00. Download e-plans ,plan rooms take a picture of plans save as image file.Plus in todays market you need to download plans from email. Many businesses and contractors save expense of paper plans.

Laser

Does anyone know of take off software that can do "digital" take offs (from PDF, TIF, DXF, etc.), is under a $1,000 budget, integrates with existing excel spreadsheets and also includes built-in estimating and assemblies?

check this out from tally....
Code:
http://www.tallysystem.com/