1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Equipment/Truck files.

Discussion in 'In the Office' started by Truck Shop, Jan 22, 2023.

1. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Because of the liability these days it's really important a small business keep accurate records of repairs.
    Not just some receipts for a few parts bought. If for any reason a rig is involved in a accident and it becomes
    a lawsuit, your lawyers will be happy you have paper work covering repairs. If DOT shows up and audits
    there is a file with paper work and inspections. The more paper work the better. So either turn out a work
    order on the computer or buy some standard work orders and fill them out with a full list of parts and
    description of work. Plus you have part numbers on file and something to show when selling. The reason I
    bring this up is a fellow I know is in hot water with DOT-no history.

Below is the type of work order I turn out several times a day.

Attached Files:

2. Tyler d4c

Tyler d4c Senior Member

I attended a brake class around Thanksgiving. The instructor claims alot of big fleets are scrapping the equipment when all used up because of being sued after resell for maintenance issues. Seems quite reduculas to me. What ever happened to as-is.

56wrench and Truck Shop like this.
  3. Spud_Monkey

Spud_Monkey Senior Member

Decommissioned
    As the saying goes, cover your arse in paperwork! Might seem like a country bumpkin out here, but I am sure there is more paperwork filed and documentation than most city slickers have in my own doing.
    Ctrl + P is my friend.

Truck Shop likes this.
  4. Coaldust

Coaldust Senior Member

Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
    Good post, Truck Shop. It’s a big deal and often overlooked.

Truck Shop likes this.
  5. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    Beautiful hand writing and content on those files.

I put together a data base when i was running shops as my hand writing is atrocious. Service reports for employees were always a problem. I would usually get something like "checked fluids, tried to start engine and would not start, fixed same." The other might be "operator complained about brakes, fixed." Just a time on and off job and no explanation.

MarshallPowerGen and Coaldust like this.
  6. 92U 3406

92U 3406 Senior Member

Wrench Bender
    Makes a huge difference in getting paid too. Hard to justify labour time on a job when the report is 4 words long.

7. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    Like my first boss in the shop would say "I don't care what you remember doing if it's not in writing, it wasn't done!" I always tried to keep good records and notes of what I did on a repair. But it never failed that months or years after, the one thing I forgot to write down is the one thing I wanted to know about!

8. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    It's why the listing of parts is probably the most important. Plus it's removed from inventory.

Spud_Monkey likes this.