• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Epic Tire Tumor

hvy 1ton

Thread on my favorite reddit sub. https://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop/comments/6sog2z/just_throw_a_plug_in_it_for_me/
wYjldBy.jpg

DARO

Occupation
Mechanic
What have people done with a tire like that to remove the air. Iv never seen one that wont drive.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
What have people done with a tire like that to remove the air. Iv never seen one that wont drive.
Drill a hole in it and get the air out from between the tread and the casing. separation like that the tire is junk anyway. I had a TS-24 scraper that had a plugged valve stem... We couldn't get air in, or out to deflate the tire to demount it. The tire guy had no idea what to do so I suggested drilling a hole that he could plug when the tire was off. So I did... 3/8" hole in the center of the tread, kept working the drill till the air was gone. When he broke the bead loose we were all hiding behind the service truck.

Truck Shop

We have Les Schwab change tires on site for us every Saturday. One time the most experienced man they have was filling a new Toyo steer tire when the side wall
zippered. It never blew out he got the hose off the air chuck pronto. Scared the crap out of him. He heard it ripping before he saw it. He figured it was close to 100 psi
when it failed.

Truck Shop

JDOFMEMI

I had one on an ag tractor do that and I deflated it with the corner bit of a D-8. Push slightly against it and then drop the blade. It sliced like a knife, and the blast was blocked by the blade.

hosspuller

Not having a D-8 handy ... I would attach an corded electric drill to the end of a 2x4. A 1/4 drill bit and tape the trigger "on" Stand in the dump bed and swing the 2x4 with drill against the "tumor" Duck down in the bed & Plug the drill on. The bed should be a shield from the blast. Also tie a long rope to the drill if needed to pull the drill from the hole.