• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Engine cranks , but will not start

bereket

Hi everyone
The following machine has engine starting problem
Machine Details:
Motor grader
Model: 140H
Serial S/N prefix. CCA
engine model : 3176
Problem: engine cranks , but will not start
Checked the following CAT ET ,but still not started.
-Did injector solenoid test, all are OK, they have good click sound,
- When cranking the rpm reading in cat ET screen is 180
- both primary and secondary sensors are reading 180rpm, I checked them one at a time.
- took the injector nozzles to injector testing machine shop, all are fine
- fuel pressure has enough pressure
- no active codes

Can anyone suggest any possible solution?

Thanks in advance for your help

grader09

check valve on top of the filter housing has caused this problem for me a few times with this engine setup

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
A small squirt of starting fluid would confirm whether or not the engine has enough compression to fire.

Are you getting any smoke from the exhaust while cranking the engine.?

Is this a hard starting problem that has been getting worse for some time and has now reached the point where the engine will not start, or were there no problems then the engine was shut off one time and after that it would not restart.?

Can you connect ET and observe the main screen while the engine is cranking. Look for the "Injection Disabled" message box. Unless that message disappears while cranking the electronics will not activate the fuel injection system.

bereket

check valve on top of the filter housing has caused this problem for me a few times with this engine setup

Thanks for your reply,

I checked the check valve on top of the filter housing, it is in good condition.
Would you please suggest another?

bereket

A small squirt of starting fluid would confirm whether or not the engine has enough compression to fire.

Are you getting any smoke from the exhaust while cranking the engine.?

Is this a hard starting problem that has been getting worse for some time and has now reached the point where the engine will not start, or were there no problems then the engine was shut off one time and after that it would not restart.?

Can you connect ET and observe the main screen while the engine is cranking. Look for the "Injection Disabled" message box. Unless that message disappears while cranking the electronics will not activate the fuel injection system.
Thanks for your reply

Even by using start aid it couldn't start, but I noticed it has good compression

There is no smoke when cranking, but with start aid it has.

The engine suddenly shutoff while the machine was working.

Connected Cat et and checked on screen injection is not disabled.
I switched on and off the user shutdown switch and observed on screen, its operating fine

Please looking forward another ideas
Thanks