• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Engine and Hydraulic Oil Analysis & Test Samples

TerryD999

Advice Please - at 72 yo, I just couldn't retire.
Brand new to the forum and
brand new to heavy equipment.
Recently bought
1951 (same age as me) CAT D8 Dozer
2003 Gehl RS8-42 Telehandler - bought at auction with no service records

I've studied past threads and I believe learned a lot. Particularly
"In need of an education"
posted by Tyler d4c

I have a tentative plan for the Gehl and thought to run it by you all for comment.

1) get sample kits from NAPA, Ford, CAT, or almost anyone it seems?
2) take and submit engine oil and hydraulic oil samples prior to servicing or operating the machine - a benchmark.
3) submit samples of brand new oils right out of the container?
4) be sure to get
- particle count by ISO code
- silicone values
_???
5) post the results here for your valued interpretation.

I'm not confident I understand much - please feel free to comment and educate me.
Thank you!
Terry

Delmer

1. I like Cat SOS, ten bottle kit very easy to send in and get results, cost competitive with any I've seen.
2. Take the samples from the warmed up oil sucked out while operating. Engine oil can be taken mid way through draining, but not as good as sucking it out. The engine oil will be so dirty it might not matter.
3. why?
4. particle count won't tell you much with these machines, silicon and all the metals will be on the cat sos results.
5. sure, we can guess. If there's something terrible, the results will shout it at you. The sampling is really good at telling you how much life is left on the oil, and what ratios of different metals are present, hinting at possible issues. A lifetime of samples for a high hour machine will often predict failures before they happen, but it doesn't sound like that's either of these machines. I would not change the hydraulic oil on either without a reason.

TerryD999

Thanks Delmer - I'll stop at my dealer for a 10 bottle kit tomorrow. Do you just order online? From who?

3. why? because in Tyler d4c's post Nige responded "Don’t forget to take a sample of new oil at the same time. The results of the ISO on “new clean” oil might amaze you."
Nige did I misunderstand?

Nige - the video was helpful - I never would have thought sample contamination was so fussy.

Delmer

Nige works in a different world than you and I. He manages fleets that buy their trucks in pieces and burn fuel by the barge load. When you're rebuilding stuff every three years of round the clock operation, you need to know how clean your fluids are. With a 1951 dozer, there's not likely anything you're going to do about the dirty new fluid out of a bucket, and it probably won't matter to the life of that dozer. The 2003 Gehl might benefit slightly over it's life from cleaner fluid, but again, what are you realistically going to do about the particle counts in new oil buckets?

Personally, I'd take the samples. Drain the engine oil if it looks like it needs it, open all the filters and inspect, save some pics of anything questionable, wait until you get the results to see if you'll change the hydraulic fluids. Probably flush and refill the stuff like axles and final drives.

Your local dealer will have the kit.

Cmark

On the subject of how to obtain the sample, consistency is key. It's less important whether you suck it through the dipstick tube or catch it from the drain, more important that you use the same technique every time.
Condition monitoring is all about establishing trends.

Delmer

I don't remember where the truck pics were, but here's some other pretty pics.