• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

End dump question

Pipevine

Just bought a 2000 trail king end dump. It's a full frame 3 axle spring ride except the lift axle is air up/air down. It has two separate valves one to release the gate latches and the other to air up/down the lift axle. The lift axle valve is plumbed to a regulator to control the amount of pressure on the lift axle. My problem is that I can't get the gate latch to release. I pulled the lines off of both valves and came to the conclusion that it is plumbed so that if you try to release the gate latches it automatically releases any down pressure on the lift axle. I understand this is a safety measure. What is strange to me is that with air supply to the trailer I'm not getting any Air Supply to either valve. But I can manually apply shop air to the lines and get them to function. Can anybody shed any light on how this system works . I wouldn't even mind bypassing the safety mechanism if that would make the plumbing easier to sort out. Oh there is also a bulkhead fitting with an airline connected to it between the glad hands on the front of the trailer but I have yet to ascertain what its function is either. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mitch504

Never owned a trail king, or a dump with a lift axle, but I owned a bunch over the years AND I once stayed in a Holiday Inn Express, so...

That air fitting between the gladhands is probably a trigger to open the tailgate remotely so the driver doesn't risk getting his cowboy boots dirty.