• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

emissions bypasses?

catfixer

Wasn't really sure where to put this, I got to wondering today with all of the tier 4 and tier 4 final coming into play if anyone has heard anything by the way of DPF and EGR deletes. I figure there has to be someone out there that has attempted something. Being a dealer tech and not a machine owner, I have no interest in being able to do such a thing, just more of a curiosity that me and a few other guys got to talking about at lunch.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Wasn't really sure where to put this, I got to wondering today with all of the tier 4 and tier 4 final coming into play if anyone has heard anything by the way of DPF and EGR deletes. I figure there has to be someone out there that has attempted something. Being a dealer tech and not a machine owner, I have no interest in being able to do such a thing, just more of a curiosity that me and a few other guys got to talking about at lunch.

I'm sure any smart dealer would stay well clear of this kind of thing good way to get in big trouble with Feds!

Having said that I would think it would be good to know about these things as I can picture all kinds of trouble shooting headaches you could run into and warranty fights with a customer who installed one of the deletes to later find out he had melted pistons or such.

Glad I got out of the business before any of the newer equipment with DPFs needed to have one replaced. Not sure how some management people are going to react when they see the price tag for something called a "Filter"! I'm not knocking the systems, I like to breath fresh air, but knowing how hard it was to get a laptop with Cat ET on it to work on the equipment a few years back I know some outfits are going to freak out when some of those systems need major work!

Firemanmike69

I'm sure any smart dealer would stay well clear of this kind of thing good way to get in big trouble with Feds!

Having said that I would think it would be good to know about these things as I can picture all kinds of trouble shooting headaches you could run into and warranty fights with a customer who installed one of the deletes to later find out he had melted pistons or such.

Glad I got out of the business before any of the newer equipment with DPFs needed to have one replaced. Not sure how some management people are going to react when they see the price tag for something called a "Filter"! I'm not knocking the systems, I like to breath fresh air, but knowing how hard it was to get a laptop with Cat ET on it to work on the equipment a few years back I know some outfits are going to freak out when some of those systems need major work!
At the dealership i work at we have had some customers ask about them, the answer is pretty much throw your warrantee in the trash if you install one. Fortunately we do all the services till 2000 hours and exchange the DPF twice till 9000 hours so customers don't get too bent out of shape about tier 4.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I think if you took it to a franchised dealer for repairs warranty would likely be the least of your worries. They are probably required by law or at least franchise agreement with the manufacture to turn you in. From what little I have been caught in since Tier 2 the system was getting tight enough to grow a boil on anyone trying to strip the junk off. I saw a few gray market pieces without a sticker get reloaded and sent back overseas and a bunch of stuff at a Ritchie Auction get sent into Canada because they hadn't caught up yet. Getting caught with a bypass of a DPF might bring on the formation of the smoke police even faster.

d4c24a

I have a friend with 5 trucks on the road , all with the adblu disabled , yet they all go through the yearly government test no problem

tctractors

The Gun Smoke fiddle is a very active bit of work in the U.K. with lots of Company's offering this service, blanking plates and new chop in bit's to exhaust systems with Cat removed, computer adjustments to the E.C.U.s including the more power tweak, also the Add-Blue job shut out, plus the little Power Hopper that can be plugged into the air boost control, its wide spread through Europe, as usual the Government bods will close off these little tricks like they have managed on the Tacho recorder, but its Game On at the moment.
tctractors

NCHeavyDiesel

I have heard of several companies with OTR trucks that are disabling the emissions systems entirely to lower downtime and increase fuel mileage. Using software developed specifically to make the tractor run without all the sensors and equipment hooked up. The problem that arises when the truck does breakdown is finding someone that will work on it knowing everything that has been disabled and custom programming being run in the ECM doing god knows what to keep the tractor running! Can become a real liability and headache to find a problem on a unit like that. Also no dealer is gonna attempt to turn a wrench on that vehicle regardless.

fulatoro

Actually, this is something we are interested for totally legit reasons. We are planning on importing some tier4 engines to high sulfur diesel countries. In these cases, the after treatment has to be removed and some adjustments done to the ECU/ECM along with some fuel injector changes.

I know cat has some recommendations and parts lists for doing that but all that information is behind a dealer account wall ( I am not a dealer)

https://dealer.cat.com/en/products/...ns-technology/T4-used-equipment-migration.htm

Any idea if there are after market solutions and guides for CAT machines (120M, 924)

Andrew Navarrete

I know this is an old thread but Anyone have any ideas on how to run high sulfur diesel in these newer machines? I am located in Ecuador and the sulfur content in diesel is anywhere from 350-550ppm I am trying to import a 2012 420f but I am told that it wont run very long on the diesel down here.....

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I know this is an old thread but Anyone have any ideas on how to run high sulfur diesel in these newer machines? I am located in Ecuador and the sulfur content in diesel is anywhere from 350-550ppm I am trying to import a 2012 420f but I am told that it wont run very long on the diesel down here.....
As someone who works in Less Regulated Countries (Ecuador falls into that Category) I've had a fair amount of experience of TIER 3/4 emissions engines being imported into countries where the diesel sulphur content was far in excess of the maximum 15ppm to be considered ULSD and therefore was unsuitable for a TIER 4 engine.

What you have been told about the machine not running long (before giving problems with the emissions package) is 100% correct. My adivce is - look for another machine. I have not seen a single instance of a TIER 4 machine engine being made to run successfully on high-sulphur diesel, and I've come across quite a few in my time. The saying is "the best thing you can do with that thing is put it on a boat and ship it back to wherever it came from".

On the other hand if the machine is a TIER 3 then you might have a shot. Do you have the Serial Number of the 420F..?

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I would agree with Nige, the DOC is the weak link in regards to sulfur. The coating of the DOC suffers sulfur poisoning and rendered useless, just an expensive muffler at this point. Most, less restrictive countries have dealers that can remove emissions controls at point of entry. Volvo used to push that if you buy a remarketed machine, you will receive a voucher to remove , free of charge. Used to p!ss me off. We have to work with it and you don't. Not fair, but whatever. Check with your local dealer/ distributor.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I agree with FWF, but I would say that his comments would only apply to a machine that was imported through the dealer network. My past experience with "independent" imports (which I suspect is the case in post #13) was that the local dealer didn't want to know.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
The program I was describing was a partnership with Richie bros auctioneer. A lightly used machine with a couple thousand hours maybe. Export from here to less restrictive countries. Boom they get all the benefits of improved technology without the burden of the emissions. From what I've heard, a significant gain in fuel economy and power. It still chaps my @ss! :mad: