• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Email Hijacked.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
First time for everything and I consider myself to be pretty fair a this technology stuff, but I got bit this morning.

I've been getting tons of junk email telling to me log onto and confirm my settings or something like thank you for your order or we appreciate your donation but need you to give us some information about your self.

This morning the wife got an email from Verizon wanting to know if I had ordered 8 iPhone 12's. I ignored it at first but something struck me as odd. I thought I remembered something confirming changing my password on Comcast. We went to a Verizon store and asked about the email and the cell phone call that was on voice mail at this point. The people there said the number was good for them and the call was legitimate. They couldn't do anything and said we had to call the phone number. Sure enough, it was all true. The lady on the line said someone hijacked my email and then logged into my Verizon account and tried to order the phones. We squared that away and had to change a pin number on the home connection to clear that out. Next when we got home, I called Comcast and started an incident report. I talked to another nice lady who walked me through the checks. Now I usually use my cell phone for email, but there is provision to handle all email on the Comcast web site. She walked me through a lot of windows and places and we finally found what happened. Someone got into my web page account and changed my email to automatically forward to another email address. I have no idea how they could have gotten my password. I manually input each time I enter a web site and all my accounts have different passwords. There may have been an on line add for business accounts that gave a pin number for one of my connections and the jerk used that pin number to try to order the phones. Now here is another head scratching part. The email is set up through Comcast in my wife's name and two factor identification is turned on there. Since I am a secondary account, I didn't know that it was available on my account. At any rate the rouge email address is gone, email forwarding is shut off and two factor ID is now set up on my account and two companies are investigating the perpetrators. Probably some prince in Nigeria with a new slant. That many smart phones is sure to make this a felony attempted fraud but then again, law enforcement won't care. I asked both of the representatives if there was anything that I could have done to prevent this. The Verizon lady said not much if anything at all. The Comcast lady was surprised that I hadn't been alerted to two factor ID.

No I have to inform my current active clients that ten hours of email were rerouted and then I have to work at changing passwords on all my sensitive accounts. Not something I needed to happen at this point in the year. Hopefully the damage is limited and this makes a decent cautionary tale.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Co worker at the nuke has a BIL that lives in MN, works for some hoyty toyty hi-tech firm where he does their IT work. Co worker was having internet issues and computer glitches so called for aid, BIL said hang on, in a few minutes their PC was working like new again. His BIL stated are so many ways to backdoor a computer is NOT even funny, needed NO PW, needed NO access authorization, just got in and did what wanted to and left. He stated he unplugs his from the hardwire connection to the net EVERY time he leaves it whether on or off as does not matter to cyber criminals if is on or off.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The bad part of this is that they didn't get into my computer. They got into the email server at comcast and put a check mark in a box and an email address in another box. Then they went into the phone company server and used my email to log in as me and try to buy a bunch of cell phones. I think it is getting deeper because I got a notice of a bunch of changes on the phone company account when I first logged on this morning.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day John
That is a interesting experience I too have a lot of attempts to gain passwords and accounts thankfully up to date I have recognised and stopped those thieves.
Take care
Uffex

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
How reliable is that site.?
The reason I ask is that I was directed to the same site a year or so ago and just for a laugh I put both my current work email AND my previous work email (that I hadn't used of 5 years or so), and according to it BOTH of them had been compromised. I don't think so Jimmy........

Vetech63

I got a fraud alert from my bank on a suspicious charge about 2 weeks ago. Someone has got my card info somehow and made a 1700 charge to a maid service. The charge was pending when they contacted me but I was told I couldn't dispute a pending charge. I had to wait 5 business days to dispute. So basically they paid them first.....dispute second. Makes no sense to me but I'm still waiting on a replacement card and using my personal card for everything at the moment.

seatwarmer

Occupation
Enterprise Engineer
How reliable is that site.?
The reason I ask is that I was directed to the same site a year or so ago and just for a laugh I put both my current work email AND my previous work email (that I hadn't used of 5 years or so), and according to it BOTH of them had been compromised. I don't think so Jimmy........
Well my checks on emails were correct for using the same password and 1 from 2019 because of a data breach at a bank.