1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Electrical Harness Video

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by John C., Feb 14, 2022.

1. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    There are a couple of threads going about electrical problems and fixes. I've started a new thread for this. I finished another video today which is about electrical wiring harnesses. It's beginner stuff but some of you might find it a bit interesting. It's just over five minutes long and I got a cab wiring harness donated to me for the project.

I'll be doing some extra short videos as I deconstruct this monster to show interesting. Those short videos are titled Electrical Short and there are a couple already posted.

2. Zewnten

Zewnten Well-Known Member

Thanks John

DMiller likes this.
  3. John Shipp

John Shipp Senior Member

forestry contracting
    The videos of yours that I've seen are great, John. I would love to see a short video of how to pop the terminals out of the various connection blocks with the bunch of "keys" I spotted in this video above. Usually manage to get them apart eventually, but these days with the greasy reading glasses it can take longer than I'd like. Need to find a similar bunch of keys I reckon. All the best.

nowing75 and DMiller like this.
  4. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Thanks for the comments. Crimping open barrel terminals, closed barrel terminals plus removal from the harness couplers is in the works. There are so many different makes and styles of harness couplers now that I have to produce the videos when I get access to the couplers and the style of pins that work in them. They all have their secrets apparently.

5. John Shipp

John Shipp Senior Member

forestry contracting
    Yes they do, lol. Even disconnecting some of the different plugs and sockets is a test of patience especially when gunged up in black oil and years of dirt, and upside down to where you can see.

6. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

It takes years of experience to develop both the skills and the patience to fix things like that above. Thank you for sharing.

DB2, DMiller and Truck Shop like this.
  7. John C.

John C. Senior Member

For years I've tried to come up with some kind of reverse pliers for pulling those things apart. They also usually secure the couplers to some kind of bar in the far corner of nowhere that you can just touch with the very tips of your fingers with the machine stopped in one position and sitting over a mud hole that you have to crawl through to remove the belly pan that you have to use only the open end of a three quarter inch combination wrench and turn one flat at a time.
    Good Times!

DMiller, Truck Shop and John Shipp like this.
  8. Mike L

Mike L Senior Member

Self employed field mechanic
    John I’ve been watching your videos as you post them and I enjoyed them. Some of it is beginner stuff but a little reminder never hurt anyone. Will you be getting into can bus and how certain sensors work?

nowing75 and DMiller like this.
  9. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Thanks for watching. I don’t know much about can buss so don’t know how much research I’ll have to do for it. I am going to do some study on it. I do have plans for electrical components, how they work and how to check them.

DMiller, Truck Shop and John Shipp like this.
  10. James Sorochan

James Sorochan Senior Member

x-water & sewer construction Now farmer.
    Thanks John for taking the time to make these video's.

John C. and DMiller like this.
  11. John C.

John C. Senior Member

John Shipp and Truck Shop like this.
  12. Mike L

Mike L Senior Member

I’ve been keeping up with them. Keep them coming!

MarshallPowerGen and John C. like this.
  13. Nige

Nige Senior Member

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
    Here are a few good videos on servicing Deutsch DT connectors that you could potentially link John.

John Shipp, John C. and Truck Shop like this.
  14. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Super, I'll link them in the next day or so.

15. nowing75

nowing75 Senior Member

I watch scannerdanner on youtube and he has a lot of good info on can bus and how to trouble shoot different sensors.

16. Mike L

Mike L Senior Member

I’ll have to check him out