• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Electric Brake Controllers

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
For those that have air brakes on the truck and electric brakes on the trailer:
What kind of brake controller are you using / do you like it?

Jeff D.

Orchard Ex,

I've a Tekonsha Voyager model 9030 in one truck,and like this controller very much.It provides enough amps for three axles,and works smoothly when adjusted correctly.

I've also a Powerstop controller in the other truck,and I am not as impressed with it's performance.I may not have it dialed in correctly,but it is slow to really start clamping down on the trailer brakes,as set now.

Neither is tied into the air system,although there are some fancy models that can be plumbed in to use your applied air pressure to modulate the electricity sent to the trailer.

I've been told that the Prodigy(I believe made by Tekonsha)is a very good controller,no matter how many axles are on the trailer.

cat320

Charter Member
I had a jordan in my old truck and it was ok ,I got it because it was a cable operated one so no electronics really to make it not work but i found it needed alot of adjusting and if you ever have to slame on the brakes for those idiot drivers that are out there you will destroy it . iHve heard that the prodogiy is a good one

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
Has anyone ever used one like this
http://www.hayesbc.com/air_actuated brake controller.html ?
Like Jeff mentioned it plumbs into the air system. I thought that it might operate like an air version similar to Fords new "Tow-command" that I have heard lots of good things about.

I've had several of the Tekonsha models in the past - 2 Voyagers, 1 Sentinel, and currently 2 Prodigy's (along with another non tekonsha time-ramp type system which stunk). They have all been decent but I am thinking of trying one of the integrated systems.

Cat320 - I haven't seen the Jordan. You said cable operated - like from the brake pedal? Is that so it can sense how hard you apply the pedal and translate it to electric braking?

Jeff/Squizzy - The Voyagers were good solid units, I used to like being able to adjust the "lead and lag" with the level knob, but the Prodigy is a lot better (for me anyway). No leveling, digital readout great for loaded vs. empty power setting etc.

Not sure which way to go on the new truck - fancy vs. proven - price is pretty comparable.

Hopefully the new truck will be done soon! :thumbsup

Last edited:

cat320

Charter Member
The Jorden has a cable that attaches to the break pedal with a bracket.when it worked it worked great but I think that i should of got the electronic one just for the sake of not haveing to always keep retightening the bracket and if you ever have to push the break to the floor in a panic stop it would destroy the braket assembly which is what happened to me.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
Another question

cat320 said:
if you ever have to push the break to the floor in a panic stop it would destroy the braket assembly which is what happened to me.
Hope it was just the bracket that got destroyed...

This might be a dumb question but: Is there a proportioning valve in the air system for the air trailer brakes? In other words - is there any way to adjust the trailer brakes for a full trailer vs. an empty one like setting the max power level on an electric brake controller? Or is this not necessary on an all air system?
I have the air to the rear option on the truck for the future but every trailer I own or have access to right now has electric brakes.
Thanks,
Korey

Jeff D.

Orchard Ex said:

That looks suspiciously similiar too the old Kelsey/Hayes controllers that were plumbed into the hydraulic brake systems,on older vehicles.I imagine they could have just recalibrated it to the lower pressures of an air brake system.

I've no personal experience with using them though,either.

Orchard Ex,regarding you're question about the proportioning valve,for loaded or empty trailers.I'm not sure,but doubt that there would be.On the semi's they're only used when a tractor is bobtailing,and the drives are completely unloaded.I don't even know if they used this system on every truck,either,or just some.

With the requirements for anti-lock brakes for every truck produced new now,and on most heavy trailers,this type of valve may not be as important as in the past.

But I've been wrong before,So....???

Post some pics of your new rig,once it arrives.:thumbsup

Jeff D.

Orchard Ex,

While digging through the shop,I found a "brand new" in the box,controller like I mentioned(the old Kelsey/Hayes hydraulic type).I knew I'd seen it somewhere.

Tell me that it doesn't look exactly like the one you'de made the link too.

And.......had you a 1967 IH 1300,I'd have given you this one,cause it says it'll fit,hee!!:thumbsup

I think I need to clean the shop,and throw out some stuff.:yup

Attachments

• kelsey pics #2 (Small).JPG
    kelsey pics #2 (Small).JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 468
  • kelsey pics #1 (Small).JPG
    kelsey pics #1 (Small).JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 460

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
That's funny - it doesn't look like they have changed it a bit.
I haven't found any of the Kelsey hyd. units listed for sale, but Warner is still making one. The Warner units don't look like they have changed style in 50 years either.

http://www.warnerelectric.com/pdf/819-0288_P-1395.pdf

You know if you throw some of that stuff away you'll be looking for it in two weeks! Happens to me all the time. :Banghead