• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ed's 77 Terex 72-41

DB2

They prefer a single over a multi grade. Something with low ash content. Post this specific question alone and the experts will weigh in.

mountainguyed67

I started the engine and checked for heat at the exhaust manifold. Three cylinders were getting too hot to touch, and I could still hold my hand against the fourth. It was cold. The cylinder closest to the bell housing. Might get the valve cover off today.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I started the engine and checked for heat at the exhaust manifold. Three cylinders were getting too hot to touch, and I could still hold my hand against the fourth. It was cold. The cylinder closest to the bell housing. Might get the valve cover off today.
Sounds like it could be an injector problem. Could be other things but let's hope it is the injector!

Let us know what you see when VC is off.

mountainguyed67

I went to take the valve cover off, there was dirt and crud around it. I remembered reading in the manual to clean first to avoid getting contamination inside, it looked like that would happen. I will take the pressure washer next time.

If you’re wondering about the tree branch, I dropped the clamp nut and wanted to keep it closed up in the meantime. I put plywood over it before I left too.

That’s the steering tank above the engine.
BC9BA431-1DAA-48A3-B698-12E2CBC25043.jpeg

kshansen

Occupation
If you’re wondering about the tree branch, I dropped the clamp nut and wanted to keep it closed up in the meantime. I put plywood over it before I left too.

Is there a part number in the Detroit book for that holdown?

And not to wish any bad luck on you but if you find that you do have a stuck injector I have a feeling which one it will be!

kshansen

Occupation
Not an expert but just went through this. You will most likely see a plunger stuck down.
That would be the first things I would be looking for, you would have to turn engine over to be able to see it.
Turn engine by hand to get the valves open on one cylinder at a time and look for one injector where there is a gap between it's rocker arm and the plunger.

Another quick check would be to carefully remove the pin that connects the rod from the governor to the tube with the levers that operate the injector racks and make sure all the racks move in and out nice and free. I say carefully remove the pin as there are oil drain back holes in the head right near where you are removing the pin and you don't want to drop the pin or cotter pin! A small rag tucked under the lever can be a good safety net!

Any questions once you get valve cover off post a couple pictures of what you are seeing! I know you have the manual so that will be of some help, one of us can probably tell you the chapter number you need to go to for more detailed information.

sawmilleng

Seems to me that you might want to check the torque specs for the piston nut. They are usually very high. The guys with cat access should be able to tell you what is recommended.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the 300 ft-lb range. A new nut with the nylon lock would be good insurance.

Jon.