• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

eBay and robobids

treemover

So has anyone had any issues with last minute bidding. I lost 3 auctions in the final 5 seconds, the last one went up 3k In 1 second. I kinda think they are rigged . Thoughts

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I've won quite a few that way. If you want to win you either have to bid higher than anyone else to start, or get in at the last minute. Just the way it works.

Kind of like an RB auction, if you try to compete with live bidders ahead of time they will drive the price sky high on you.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
So has anyone had any issues with last minute bidding. I lost 3 auctions in the final 5 seconds, the last one went up 3k In 1 second. I kinda think they are rigged . Thoughts

There are software packages for this. If two are enabled for the last minute of an auction what you have seen can and will happen. I like the way some auction sites work where they will not allow that to happen. If it does the auction closing is automatically extended for a time duration set up by the auction proprietor.

Tinkerer

No one including myself wants to pay more than you have to. I have lost out on Ebay auctions also. But I wasn't disappointed because the items were sold for more than I was willing to pay.
$3000.00 in one bid seems rigged. Unless it was a very expensive item or the bid before it was stupid low.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Last time I was on there, there was a space to put in your "max bid" & when someone else bid higher than u in increments of what ever u choose.. it would automatically enter your bid so your the hi bidder.. until your "max bid" has been reached..
U can also google>> "ebay snipping" I learned how to do THAT after getting beat on several items I wanted.. its "illegal" but it works..

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
The issue is that if you place bids well ahead of time then others will see them and bid the price way up in a frenzy. Seen it dozens of times. Last minute bidding keeps the frenzied people out of it.

You have seen it before at RB where a $4000 piece will go for $8000, ebay is no different.

skata

I've won lots of items at the last second. Why bid up earlier and cause a higher price..

Jonas302

Bid at the last second thats when it sells or enter your max bid and walk away
I dont understand whose favor it could be rigged in if its worth 3 thousand more then enter a higher price dont expect to get a 10,000 dollar item for 100 just because it sat low all week

Sometimes I like to get the price up early keeps the yahoos from getting interested just like at a live auction if a trucks worth 30,000 dont make the auctioneer get down to 500 for a starting bid every hand in the place goes up all of a sudden and some might stick with it when its getting back closer to market value