• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Eaton 13 Speed getting stuck in neutral

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Sooo... Cleaned that screen out with brake clean and air. I had one of my guys running it for about 3 hrs today without any problems! he said it seemed a little slow clunking from high to low but did not do the "stuck in neutral, have to stop to get it in gear" problem. We will be running it a full day tomorrow. Thanks for your guys' help so far! You ever make it up to Alaska I'll buy you a beer or dinner!

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Sooo... Cleaned that screen out with brake clean and air. I had one of my guys running it for about 3 hrs today without any problems! he said it seemed a little slow clunking from high to low but did not do the "stuck in neutral, have to stop to get it in gear" problem. We will be running it a full day tomorrow. Thanks for your guys' help so far! You ever make it up to Alaska I'll buy you a beer or dinner!
If it's still slow shifting from High to Low without any grinding noises, I would replace the entire regulator filter unit. The regulator is not adjustable and gets weaker with age. Alcohol does bad stuff to the diaphragm and valve seat, not to mention hardening from old age anyways.

mitch504

Not trying to start any arguments, but I've seen this work over and over on older vocational type stuff. When you posted that pic of how clean it was, I started to tell you to wash it anyway. And I second replacing the regulator if this helps but not fixes it, but I never have. All the stuff about cleaning and oiling those components is very true, but none of it works if you don't get enough air, and washing the filter is quick and cheap.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
So where that filter is concerned it would appear that there's obviously clean and "clean" .........:confused:

Last edited:

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
We ran it for 8 hrs on Friday and it only had a problem once! Still a little slow actuating, I would like to replace this whole unit as mentioned. Does any one have a part number or its "official" name for oredering? Its a RTOF 14613 Trans. Thanks!

td25c

I cleaned as much as I could last night, I removed that brass plug opposite of 5/32 line, but was unable to remove the unit inside. I could grip in with needle nose but in wouldnt budge. I did notice the brass plug had a machined hole in it and air was escaping through it very slightly.

We had a similar issue with my buddy's Mack truck this spring .

It would not shift at all . I first removed the small 5/32 " pilot line " line from the cylinder cover & had the driver shift the switch .

We have good air flow ! Also have to be carful not to overtighten the ferrule nut as that can restrict air flow .

We then removed the 4 bolt piston cover and took it to the workbench vice .
Have to be carful as air cylinder body my try to come out as well .

We loosened the 4 bolts a little and popped the cover loose from the body with a light tap from a chisel .
Removed the bolts & cover " oil will drain out the holes so have a small container ready & be fast " . And Installed the bolts back in the cylinder body .

Now at the workbench removed the plug and valve assembly . " dirty & grimy "

Cleaned it all up , blew out all ports with compressed air and reinstalled lubing it all up with engine oil .

Fixed the shifting problem . :)C123A875-3FD7-41C0-9E73-5B7BE4AFE45E[1].jpeg

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Just a update, we replaced the regulator and splitter valve. Completely solved the going into neutral while trying to split problem. Every once in awhile going from 4th to 5th (low to high) it will go into freespool. But if you shift the splitter up it will catch and then you can go up or down... Very weird and intermittent but at least its manageable now! Thanks again for the help

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Just a update, we replaced the regulator and splitter valve. Completely solved the going into neutral while trying to split problem. Every once in awhile going from 4th to 5th (low to high) it will go into freespool. But if you shift the splitter up it will catch and then you can go up or down... Very weird and intermittent but at least its manageable now! Thanks again for the help

What kind of oil is in it and what condition? Had a 10 speed that used to do that and then the oil got changed and it was better. Like the synchro was taking longer to shift than it took to move the lever.