• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

East dump bed lighting issues

EricR522

Screenshot_20211024-090138_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20211024-090138_Gallery.jpg Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum so hopefully I'm posting in the correct area. But I have a 1997 Peterbilt 357 with a East aluminum dump bed on it and the lights in the bed are just getting older and becoming a pain. So I wanted to switch to led lights but I cant find any to fit. All the 2.5" lights I've tried are just very slightly smaller then then hole for the lights now. These lights aren't in the posts of the bed but are in a bracket beside them. I will try to attach a picture to show you what I mean. If anyone else has dealt with this issue in converting to led I appreciate any help.

Jonas302

You could probably switch to rubber grommets for the 2.5 inch leds instead of the tin holders it would be a nice clean look too

EricR522

You could probably switch to rubber grommets for the 2.5 inch leds instead of the tin holders it would be a nice clean look too
That was what I had tried but the rubber grommets were too small. The hole in the bed is over 1/16th of an inch larger then the O.D. of the rubber grommet with the light placed in it. The other small issue I forgot to mention is the way they are set up now, they are grounded by the screws holding them into the bed.

JPV

I would replace them with the little 3/4 inch led marker lights. Make a plate to cover the existing hole with a 3/4 inch hole in it, they are just as bright and last a long time.

Truck Shop

Although I personally do not like the 3/4 led's. Had many short out where wires are molded into lamp, which burned melted.
Plus the price is out there. 3/4 are bright.

EricR522

I would replace them with the little 3/4 inch led marker lights. Make a plate to cover the existing hole with a 3/4 inch hole in it, they are just as bright and last a long time.
I had considered doing this. I was just concerned with it looking goofy with a smaller light in such a big area. Thoughts?

Truck Shop

I had considered doing this. I was just concerned with it looking goofy with a smaller light in such a big area. Thoughts?

Many 53' foot refer trailers like Great Dane and Western Trailer uses the 3/4. DOT legal.

EricR522

Many 53' foot refer trailers like Great Dane and Western Trailer uses the 3/4. DOT legal.
I should have been more clear with what I meant, sorry. I meant because the lights are in the separate bracket by themselves and not in the posts on the bed. Just thought it might look out of place with a small light in it. The brackets are roughly 4" x 6"

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Are you certain the holes are too big. I just installed Grote 4" I'll have to measure diameter of hole. At first I thought I had screwed up, plasma cut holes too big, but working the grommet, pressing one side WAY beyond, it gets to a groove well inside the grommet.