• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

easiest skid steer to repair

BLconst

Im sure that each model has its own issues, but in general, what skid steer is the easiest to repair, not regular oil, and filters, but more major stuff like accessing pump, hoses, electrical harnesses, etc.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Well, I don't know if there's a true "easiest", after all, they all consist of a lot of stuff in a confined space. But I'll say this, sure as heck ain't Bobcat, the only thing easy to do on them is change the engine oil and filters, and maybe the starter. :D

frogfarmer

Ive always been a fan of Case and New Holland. But it depends on year and model. Find a machine and we'll give you what we know. A local dealer for parts and service can be a big help.

xcmark

Occupation
construction
easiest one to repair is the ones you can afford to have some one fix under warrenty! just like Willie said they all SUCK , my 2003 JCB is no bargan. I pulled the starter and had it rebuilt , that was a 1.5 hour job out and 1.5hrs in. If you ever dropped a nut or bolt you would be better off going to the hardware store for a new one........

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
easiest one to repair is the ones you can afford to have some one fix under warrenty! just like Willie said they all SUCK , my 2003 JCB is no bargan. I pulled the starter and had it rebuilt , that was a 1.5 hour job out and 1.5hrs in. If you ever dropped a nut or bolt you would be better off going to the hardware store for a new one........

LoL, I've changed a starter on one of the side arm JCB's, absolute PITA! It was bad enough to have one of the fat/heavy Lucas starters, but ya just can't get to the damn thing! :Banghead

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Well, I don't know if there's a true "easiest", after all, they all consist of a lot of stuff in a confined space. But I'll say this, sure as heck ain't Bobcat, the only thing easy to do on them is change the engine oil and filters, and maybe the starter. :D

Yeah Willie, it's more a question of "Which is the best of the worst to work on" and your right it's not Bobcat.:rolleyes:

In reality all of the equipment is designed by engineers that don't seem to take into consideration having to work on them. :pointhead

dirty4fun

There is five hundred pounds of steel in a one hundred pound space. The older Case weren't to bad, then I bought a Case 445. It tried to kill me after that and few other major problems I traded for another Case 445 series III. The first 445 tried to self destruct,a nd take me with it, all in the first two hours. It was a cold morning so I let the grid heater work hit the starter while reaching into the cab. The bucket went up dumping me part way into the cab and breaking the door, and for some reason stopped, going up. I loaded it on my trailer and took it to the dealer. Of course they told me I should always be seated inside the cab when starting the machine. I didn't know it but the district guy was there from Case. He told the dealer I had to be lying as that can't happen. I was pretty upset about the door breaking and left before he told the dealer. I have know the guys at the dealership for for fourty or fifty years, and they assured him I wasn't lying. When they bypassed the door switch and started the machine up went the loader arms, and also his eyes. I should of demanded a new one, instead after four new control valves they got it to work. A few months latter it did it again. They kept changing control valves one would go up the next one would go down. After that and a talk with the Case district fellow it was modified again. I never trusted it and sold it, maybe I had all the problems taken care of it, but will never know. The new one is much better and much easier to atleast change the oil filter. I sure would of never set fifty foot trusses like I have with the new one.

xcmark

Occupation
construction
I got a look at the new Kubota SV line a few weeks back , as far as serviceing it it looked like it would be fairly easy .

250c

Had a takahati (spelling ?)30 in the shop a while back I thought it was well build and pretty easy to get to every thing

T GRIMM

well i saw a new Cat machine recently, the new "D" series. it was an R&D machine. this machine looked extremelly roomy in the engine compartment and under the cab, but who knows what they will all change before they release it to the public. sry they wouldnt let me take a pic of it!

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
I have worked Thomas and Scattraks. And thought they were easy to work on I thought.They had room to work on things .Motors ,pumps and so on.

Lee-online

The easiest to work on are the ones kept clean and maintained. Cleaning out 12" of dirt around the engine sucks.

I work on cats and never really find anything to hard, just a little time consuming.

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
I second that Lee cleaning out the mud/dirt is never a fun job at all.It seem to get into place that blow your mind and say how did they that much in their.I find that all to often while I am on the road fixing machine what a pain .

cartzblown94z

of all i have messed with the ASV RC-30 i currently own, and RC-50 are the easiest to work on. fuel and oil filter changes require nothing but opening the hood and pulling the drain plug, no bellypans and other crap in the way, easier than most cars and trucks. the gehl i had wasnt bad but still a PITA

jw3

Occupation
Plumber
Cartz I am glad to hear that about the Gehl. I haven't had mine long enough to have anything break.

Gacoustic

Hello all, *first post* I've been happy with our 1999 Scat Trak for repairs. The machine is a simple build and fairly good access. This machine is built by Volvo now and wouldn't hesitate to buy a new one due to the roomy cab and easy push on the hand foot controls.