1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Earthwork plan help

Discussion in 'Scrapers' started by Joshb, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Joshb

Joshb Member

I am planning the shooting range for a public safety training center and am trying to decide the most optimal equipment. The pistol range will consist of one 500' rear berm 12' high, segmented into 5 bays with 12' high side berms. The rifle range will be a 400' rear berm 25' high, segmented into 3 bays with 12' side berms. The sniper range will have one 300' rear berm, 40' high. 1 to 1 slop on all. The ground is flat and all dirt will be taken from the pond we will create for the firefighting water. Total project is around 60000 yards.
    My plan, is to rent a train of ktech 33's to drop some rough lines equalling the total yardage needed for each berm. Then, because we need to purchase one anyway, use a track loader to push and lift everything we deposited into the final shape of the berms.
    My biggest question is if a track loader is the best option for creating the final berm shape? How big of a machine will I need for building 12' and 25' berms? For the 40' berm, I was planning on only using the scrapers because it will be 80' wide at the base.

2. Joshb

Joshb Member

I originally put this in the scraper forum because that is the largest part of how I'm moving the dirt. Sorry if it should be elsewhere.

3. bam1968

bam1968 Well-Known Member

Excavating Contractor
    If you are going to purchase a track loader anyway then you can make it work but your not going to climb a 1 to 1 slope with it. If you would put some good single bar grouser pads on say a 963 you could climb a 1.5 to 1 slope with good soil conditions but it will still probably spin a fair amount. In my neck of the woods there are quite a few track loaders with blades on them. That might be something to think about also. Just my $.02

4. Joshb

Joshb Member

So is a dozer a better option? Or do I just live with what I get from the scrapers? It wouldn't hurt to have some flat space on top of each berm, but a 12' witdh on top adds quite a bit to my total volume and space

5. bam1968

bam1968 Well-Known Member

Excavating Contractor
    If you have enough room to make slopes 2:1 or 2.5:1 then you could push your berms up fairly easily if you can keep your fill fairly dry. You said your borrow is eventually going to be a pond so I'm guessing your soil conditions will deteriorate at some point.

6. TrackShovel

TrackShovel Member

If you are buying a track loader anyway, use what you have. If it was me I would do it like you have planned but use a track hoe to stack up the overbuilds for the width and then slope it all at 1:1. A dozer can also do the job but I’ve found on steep slopes they tend to “crab” leaving a rut and windrow on your low side ( which you can massage out with pushing material back up re cutting the slope and track packing depending on the material) but if you want the top of the berm to come to a point and not leave a foot or two this maybe difficult.
    You can probably make almost anything work but as a hoe operator I would choose a track hoe. Sounds like a good project.

7. ih100

ih100 Senior Member

I've just done a similar berm with a 963 and 4 in 1. You don't need to get your tracks fully up on the 1:1, and even if the material is good enough to you have to watch the back end from digging in. With the apron of the bucket open, you can reach an awful long way. As has been mentioned, if you can shave back to 2:1, you'll have a much easier time of it.

8. gwhammy

gwhammy Well-Known Member

You might do the final finish on the face with a excavator. You can reach from the top or bottom and do a real nice finish. Someone good could probably face all the slops in two or three days with a decent size machine and smooth 4 or 5 foot bucket.

9. CDUB

CDUB Well-Known Member

LGP Dozer or excavator (preferably both). I don't think you will find finishing a 40' high 1:1 slope with a track loader very much fun and likely not possible.