• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

E35i - grease for Swing Pinion & Circle (ring gear) ???

Clguest

Service manual for E35i specifies "Extra Heavy Gear Shield grease" (ref pg. 10-140-3 in the manual & 10-140-1 also). The grease is applied through grease zerks. Bobcat however markets three greases in tubes for std grease guns, none as specified above. One dealer recommends the grey grease, Extreme High Pressure, which has 3% moly disulfide and a high temp lithium thickener. Another recommends the blue grease, Supreme Heavy Duty grease, which has stated attributes "extra high performance lithium complex grease with extreme pressure additives", "superb adhesion", "ideal for ...sliding and pivoting movements", and so on. The third grease marketed, green in color, is simply a "Multi- Purpose" grease for high speed bearings and ball joints and likely not the intended grease for these two zerks.

No reply to this question from Bobcat Customer Service email address.

What grease is the intended grease for the swing pinion and circle or ring gear?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Do you understand there is grease for the ring and pinion and a separate grease for the bearing itself?

Clguest

Yes. This question is about the pinion and ring...what grease is recommended?

diga

I use a Mobil (Mining Spec Grease) 3% Moly Disulphide in all grease nipples on my E35, have used this from Day-1 and the machine is just over 2yrs old now, I pulled some pins just to see what the wear situation was and much to my surprise the cad/zinc coating that is on Bobcat pins was still there and they all looked good.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The ring and pinion can use any heavy grease. I used a lot of NLG 2 spec stuff when changing out circle bearings. I have used the NLG 1 grease in the bearings. I don't think it makes much difference as long as you maintain it once in awhile.

Clguest

Resolution re what grease to use on Pinion and Swing Circle zerks of E35i

Update - the Bobcat dealer received input from their Bobcat Service Rep. Bobcat branded 'Extreme EP', Bobcat Extreme High Performance grease, is recommended for the Swing Pinion and Circle grease zerks on the compact excavator. This is also known as the 'grey' grease. The service manual recommendation of 'Extra Heavy Gear Shield grease' is not available through Bobcat. The dealer has recommended that future service manuals be updated. Good dealer followup.