• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dump Trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
Bob, it's true that the bridges capacity wouldn't change. Here's an abstract from a Minnesota study on this very topic. The bridges along the chosen routes were inspected to ensure that they could handle the increased load. I guess that the bridges were built with excess capacity. :) http://www.mrr.dot.state.mn.us/research/pdf/200425.pdf

Many northern states allow an increase in the gross vehicle weight (GVW) for certain vehicles in the winter to
more efficiently use the increased load carrying capacity of frozen pavement structures. The increased load
limits and dates are usually set according to legislation, which may not account for seasonal differences in the
depth of frost.
This report documents the effects of increasing the winter load limits for a pilot study in Minnesota and
suggests a possible method for placing and removing increased winter load limits. The pilot study was
conducted in which the northern sugar beet haulers were allowed to increase the winter weight of the 6-axle
tractor-trailer combination vehicles from 391 kN (88,000 lbs.) to 416 kN (93,500 lbs.). This load limit was
chosen to match North Dakota since this was the final destination. The sugar beet haulers were allowed to
increase the GVW when the frost level reached 150 mm (6 in.) into the subgrade layer and end when 150 mm
of the base layer thawed. Frost and thaw depths in the pavement structures were monitored with Watermark
(WM) and thermocouple (TC) sensors.
It was found that there was a significant increase in the structural carrying capacity of the frozen pavement as
measured by decreased deflections during FWD testing. A similar trend was seen in the strain data from the
Mn/ROAD site. The condition surveys conducted showed no visible signs of increased surface distress due to
the increased loads, however the results from this study are limited because the transporter was able to
participate in the study for only three weeks.
The whole things seems to indicate that "bridge law" may be a misnomer and it should more accurately be called the "roadbed law".

trucker68

I believe that when the roads are frozen solid in the north the weight limits go up also. Someone with actual experience up north will be along shortly to correct me if I am wrong. You do realize that you are contradicting yourself when you say that "the states could reduce limits for spring thaw" and "One size could fit all" right? By definition there would be multiple rules in place, just like we have now...

did you read mitch504's post? He cites some good examples.
No my time line wasn't off and I'm not contradicting myself. The federal weight law leaves a lot of special conditions up to the states. For example all states decide things like length and hight and many more but they still can comply with the basic federal bridge formula. There are around 35 states that follow very closely to the federal formula now. The formula gives them basic guide lines for axle spacing, axle capacity , groups, GVW, ect. It should be used everywhere and all antiquated laws like the one in south carolina that destroy the roads should be thrown out.. It would stop all the confusion about weight laws. It would give us the freedom to take our trucks anywhere anytime be legal and have larger payloads Just put a little planning and research into specing your equipment. And remember another little phrase (that's why I have wheels on my trucks) And have the backbone to use it. I have read all of the state weight laws at least to some degree and I did not find any where we would not be better off with the federal law. Some of these laws bring new meaning to the word stupid.

mitch504

How about explain to me in detail how I could carry more weight under the bridge formula. I will not be able to gross any more than the 80,000 lbs that I do now, and if my trucks get 30' longer, the empty weight will go up.

If you want to bring a bridge formula compliant truck into SC, you can gross 80,000, too.

How do you put a bridge formula compliant truck into a 10' wide driveway off of a 20' wide road?

What state uses a maximum height other than 13' 6"?

After you answer these questions, consider Michigan; They can carry a very large load on short trucks, and have less weight per axle than the fed formula allows.

Last edited:

trucker68

Yes but I m a little pushed for time I'll get to your answer in a day or two but the fed could be a good thing for you too

trucker68

How about explain to me in detail how I could carry more weight under the bridge formula. I will not be able to gross any more than the 80,000 lbs that I do now, and if my trucks get 30' longer, the empty weight will go up.

If you want to bring a bridge formula compliant truck into SC, you can gross 80,000, too.

How do you put a bridge formula compliant truck into a 10' wide driveway off of a 20' wide road?

After you answer these questions, consider Michigan; They can carry a very large load on short trucks, and have less weight per axle than the fed formula allows.

Mitch504
I need to have a little more info to answer your questions 1 weight of your rock buckets dry 2 wheel base and axle spread 3 and most important outer bridge (distance in inches center of your FRT AXLE to center of your REAR MOST AXLE Also a little description of your business (type hauls )how much do you use the interstate and could you use the interstate more and if not why not. Is there any type hauls you would like to have or , might be more profitable

trucker68

As to your question about hight. Most of the western states are14 and 14.5 most of the eastern states are 13.5 and 13 I also I seem to remember a couple of oddball states that were 12 or 12.5 somewhere in the east.

trucker68

Mich 504 try to be as accurate as possible on outer bridge and weight Remember I am trying to help. (This could be a good thing) you may not hate the bridge formula if it makes you money

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
Thanks for helping all of us, we were lost without you. :rolleyes: If you really want to help stop double posting as you are making more work for us moderators.
Have you ever actually driven a truck? Seriously...

mitch504

Yes I am very glad you are willing to help me understand the trucking business, because if you don't count the time I spent growing up around it, I've only spent 27 yrs in the trucking industry. I cut my fleet back last yr, so now I only have 6 trucks. I have my own interstate authority, though it is inactive now by choice.

I didn't ask you to calculate the bridge formula weights on my trucks for me, I can certainly do that.

I asked you how I could spec a hypothetical truck that would carry more weight than I do now.

My next question was how to spec an 80,000 lb bridge formula truck that could get into a 10' farm lane off of a 20' road.

trucker68

Yes I am very glad you are willing to help me understand the trucking business, because if you don't count the time I spent growing up around it, I've only spent 27 yrs in the trucking industry. I cut my fleet back last yr, so now I only have 6 trucks. I have my own interstate authority, though it is inactive now by choice.

I didn't ask you to calculate the bridge formula weights on my trucks for me, I can certainly do that.

I asked you how I could spec a hypothetical truck that would carry more weight than I do now.

My next question was how to spec an 80,000 lb bridge formula truck that could get into a 10' farm lane off of a 20'

I assume you would want me to show you a better truck if that is possible. I know you don't believe it but I can. But to do that I need to know what it is going to be compared to. So you will have to spend a few minutes and answer my questions. With your massive and awesom experience this should be a simple thing. If you would do what I ask I will show you how to build a better 80, 000 bridge law truck. This truck might out produce your present equipment. I will also give you autocad drawings with your delivery depicted with the proposed rig negotiating the turns if it can. You never know I actually might be wrong Also if I have time I will work the weight and balance of both rigs. By the way I have almost twice the experience that you claim

Last edited by a moderator:

trucker68

Thanks for helping all of us, we were lost without you. :rolleyes: If you really want to help stop double posting as you are making more work for us moderators.
Have you ever actually driven a truck? Seriously...

I have only been doing this for a few days. I just discovered this forum thing. I was addicted instantly. So please excuse my ignorance and let me add you guys are great fun.

trucker68

I have only been doing this for a few days. I just discovered this forum thing. I was addicted instantly. So please excuse my ignorance and let me add you guys are great fun.

I know I seem like a smart axx but I actually would like to help. Try to have an open mind. I could be a good thing. Don't let me get under your skin.

JDOFMEMI

This thread has gotten to be both informative and entertaining at the same time.

Sometimes a little controversy brings about a few new viewpoints.

Re The bridge formula truck that can negotiate the farm roads, what are you running now, and what is the payload? To me, payload is all that matters, not gross weight. Superdumps meet bridge law and can net up to 26 ton, depending on the state. In the most restrictive states they can still get 22 ton, and have the abilities of a 10 wheeler on the jobsites.

mitch504

Jerry,
I am running a short tandem tractor and a 24' dump trailer. In the area I work, I can gross 80,000 lbs w/ this truck, and have a payload w/ full fuel tanks of 26.75 tons. It is very manueverable. I am very satisfied with them.

He said that I didn't understand that I would be better off if I were forced to follow the bridge formula. I have been trying to get him to show me how.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
By the way I have almost twice the experience that you claim
Maybe you could describe your experience for us.
And I'm still waiting for an explanation on how a "universal bridge law" that still has each state making changes to it as they see fit is any different that what we have now.:beatsme

JDOFMEMI

That is some kind of light for an end dump. I guess it helps keep the weight down by being so short. Around here, about 23 ton is all you can net in a common end dump suitable for construction use. There are light weight ones, but for material haulers only.

Sounds like it works for your area, and a few local states, but you could probably only haul 20 ton or less under bridge law with that set up.

trucker68

I did not say this was a superdump but I did say I would design Mitch 504 a rig that would be better than the rock buckets he thinks are so great. He challenged me to do that. Now if he is not going to tuck his tail I will spend my valuable time and Attempt to do that. I ALSO challenge anyone to show a me a configuration and specs that I can't beat. I believe I am the best. Not hypothetical but actual trucks they own and were dumb enough to buy .There may be things I don't know but I doubt it. I don't think there are many people in the dumper business that know squat. Get a little fire in your belly and prove me wrong. I out of the goodness of my heart may actually teach you something. I also challenge any one on there stupid weight laws. I will prove the fed is better for everybody. One size could fit all. Who knows Trucker 68 knows General dump business only not specialty trucks, I will get to them later. Come on gurus and experts I will show you how the cow ate the cabbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.