• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dump truck question weight

rondig

Occupation
excavation
I am looking at buying a dump truck...it is really nice but has a 12k frt axle...empty weight is 11k at frt....how much weight transfers to frt axle in dump truck? Not much left to load up???owner claims weight on frt goes down when loaded? Can that be right?

Mother Deuce

Not in my experience. How about the rest of the truck? Usually a 12,000 pound front is found in a highway tractor. Is this a former highway truck that someone boxed up? If so, does the rest of the components stack to doing the task you intend to do? Does it have rear suspension and frames rails up to the task? I used to order 18000 pound fronts. They are not a lot of fun empty on the right stretch of road and on one truck before air suspended cabs were the common and I had to put an air cab kit in that particular truck because when I had the dump gear off of it, as a tractor the ride was brutal empty. Subsequent purchases had 20,000 fronts however, they were heavy haul tractors with triple steel frames and heavy rears so we could dump the jeeps out and take a yarder or a log loader up in the woods. We had 6' sliding fifth wheels and routinely would transfer 20 to 22,000 to the nose to get to 43,000 on the drivers under permit on highway. The dump truck was a 3 axle and good for 52,000 gross 34,000 on the drives and 18,000 (with additional tonnage) on the front with duplex front tires. With a 212 inch wheel base which was the norm at the time for a 14' box you had to load it tight to the front to make the weights work and the State of Washington used to write me a ticket for 2000 over on the front every so often. One other reason I didn't put 12,000 pound fronts in vocational rides was a liability issue... I never wanted to be seated in the defendants chair in a court of law explaining to a prosecuting attorney how it was I had had a catastrophic front axle failure while he was waving around a fistful of weight tickets showing I had routinely loaded 16,000 on the front and recklessly hurled my self upon the traveling public and now someone was dead because my equipment was not and never had been up to the task. That said there are a lot of highway truck dump trucks rattling around out there that haven't had an issue ever and they are much cheaper. Do your study, it is a large investment no matter how you slice it.

Raildudes dad

I don't believe it will get less on the front loaded. You can do a test. Put a load on it and get a courtesy weigh from the DOT. They typically will come to you so you don't have to drive it on the road. I agree whole heartedly with Mother Duece about trying to defend something that you should have known you were doing was substandard. I've had a couple instances at work where I refused to sign off on stuff like this. I told them I wasn't going to be deposed by an attorney and have to admit I knew that a certain truck or trailer was leaving the yard with my knowledge of the issues.
I had a supervisor tell me one time, that trailer is legal, I put an 18,000 lb extra axle on it so we can scale 18,000 on that axle. I told him, the manufacturer built it to handle 18,000 lbs but the DOT regs only allow you 13,000 with a 3'6" spacing. If you want to put 18,000 on it, you have to move it an addditional 5'6" forward to get it 9'0" from the tandem. This was after it was attached to the frame. Since we needed the extra capacity, he moved it. Wasn't exactly happy with me but I told him I was going to document my conversation with him.

Last edited:

Truck Shop

Probably the best analogy is cement mixers are not built on over the road truck specifications and dump trucks fall in the same category as a cement mixer when it comes to
concentrated weight.

Truck Shop

Wes J

There are plenty of tandems with 12K fronts around here. But, they sure don't have 11k on them empty. Internationals are popular here for construction and government use. Most of those tandems are only 16,000 to 18,000lbs empty.

rondig

Occupation
excavation
It has a picker behind the cab..then the box...sure as crap i loaded with 10 yards and only gained 650 lbs on front. The tamdems look like they are more forward on this truck with more frame overhang at the back

Mother Deuce

It has a picker behind the cab..then the box...sure as crap i loaded with 10 yards and only gained 650 lbs on front. The tamdems look like they are more forward on this truck with more frame overhang at the back
Out of curiosity what was the tare?

rondig

Occupation
excavation
I decided not to buy it...the picker sounded like a great idea...but tare was 29000 lbs....so neat idea but takes way too much payload...and had a wheelbase of 289 inches

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
We run 2dump boxes with hiab’s behind the cab at work. Not my job but 10 yrs of gravel material in the box is about what we get when they are delivering material. The primary function for us is crane work, not material handling.
Cam