• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dump truck profit share?

wrc

I've heard lots of stories about dump truck drivers working for a percentage of what the truck grosses. I've got a dump that rarely gets used but I just feel the absolute need to keep it around. I was wondering about trying to find a driver other than my self for that truck and tell them "you get x percentage of what the truck groses, go find the work and keep it as busy as you would like." Has anyone else ever heard of this and have any idea how to structure the setup? I'd be using the same truck for my minimal usage so would have t9 figure out how to pay out for that. But in my head if I've got this truck just setting it's costing me money might as well have it running up and down the road. Insurance tags and taxes won't change a penny, just general upkeep and fuel will cost more as I would expect. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated

Wes J

Not to be rude, but if you can find a guy who can drive, find work, and do said work profitably, what's he need you for? That guy exists, but he probably already owns a truck.

wrc

Not to be rude, but if you can find a guy who can drive, find work, and do said work profitably, what's he need you for? That guy exists, but he probably already owns a truck.

I know what your saying there. I was thinking someone that maybe couldnt get the financing for one. Or someone who only wanted to work it a day or two a week. I'm not looking to keep it full busy as I want to use it for my business aswell but maybe just to have it help pay a little for its self

wrc

I just figure I'll know about the side jobs as the truck will be parked at my shop when not in use and I currently work it 2 or 3 days a week. I am hoping he or she would keep it busy the other 2 days, in return for keeping it busy them two days they would receive most all the income it generated anyhow. I am only looking to pay a driver minimal while on my own jobs so I figured it would be a nice benefit for the driver to pocket good money on subcontract jobs.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I just figure I'll know about the side jobs as the truck will be parked at my shop when not in use and I currently work it 2 or 3 days a week. I am hoping he or she would keep it busy the other 2 days, in return for keeping it busy them two days they would receive most all the income it generated anyhow. I am only looking to pay a driver minimal while on my own jobs
so I figured it would be a nice benefit for the driver to pocket good money on subcontract jobs.

Its all about finding someone trustworthy. A retired guy just might be the perfect guy for you. I was asked the other day if I could fill in on a gravel truck for a local contractor friend. He only wants 60 hours a week until freeze up. I said we could stay friends but NOPE. If he had said a day or two here and there it may have been fun.

suladas

Like others said most important part is finding someone good. The added issue is if it's not their truck and they are getting a %, depending on how job is being paid they might be harder on truck to get it done quicker. IMO unless you can find someone who you know will take care of truck, it's not going to make you any money. There is hardly any money running a dump to begin with, never mind when you have someone running it into the ground and breaking stuff.

I think it would appeal to some. No risk of buying equipment, or risk of repairs is huge.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I retired then took up driving a tractor trailer dump truck, was OK to start then the work load picked up with the extra miles and extra hours but did not pay all that great. Was initially looking for boredom relief minimal hours couple days a week, what the owner wanted was full time worker, be mindful of that with a retiree in the wagon. Percentage is an alright figure but does not take into account of hours worked or in the cab, pay may sound great but in the overall could end up less than minimum wages. Other issue is locating someone willing to keep track of the machine and not drive to destruction costing you major $$$$.