• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

dump trailer cylinder oil leak

Markat425

I'm a rookie at dump trailer operation, and haven't found anybody locally to answer this question... I know dump trailer cylinders need to be repacked sometimes to stop leaks, but my question is do they usually leak while raising? Mine doesn't leak while raising,, it leaks a gallon or more after dumping, none while raising. Is this a normal malfunction?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
If you're talking about a multi-stage dump cylinder, it's possible the seals are weeping a bit. Every time the cylinder extends a bit of oil goes by seal and coats the rods with a film of oil. If you left it up in the air for a period of time it would eventually run down the rod and drip. But when you retract the cylinder the gland wipes the oil from the rods and in drops rapidly to the ground. Check to see if your rods are wet when you extend them, but be sure and secure the bed from dropping if you're working under it.