• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dump trailer build

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Nice work CM making the Trail King great again using old school " getter done " & make it happen .:thumbsup

We never throw anything away either as may have a need for it in the future .

Built the frame of the bed for the old C 60 out of a house trailer that came off a demo job .

We ended up going with treated tongue & grove lumber for the floor and bed sides . Also built a simple lever lock actuated tall gate for dumping & spreading stone .

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...-spindle-broke&p=580092&viewfull=1#post580092

Right on TD, thanks.:drinkup

I've got all sorts of "treasure" from the demo jobs over the years. Plan on building a shop this year with a salvaged metal building and other parts and pieces picked up over the years.

Looks great!! I'm just wondering if you might need a steeper dump angle? We have a lot of sticky material up here that wouldn't slide out too well at that angle.

Steve we settled on that angle in order to not have too much the head of trailer in front of the hoist, that and we've never made a dump trailer so we'll see how this goes.:D

We've got the sticky clay and other nasty dirt, this trailer will probably not see that type of material.

This trailer will mostly be used for hauling small amounts of aggregate, a mortar/concrete mixer with supplies for inverts and hauling bulk trash - the first job will be hauling away the junk and clutter the wife and I have accumulated.:rolleyes:

Looks real good

Thanks AllDodge.

hvy 1ton

Is that pic at full dump height? That looks about average for dump angle, more wouldn't hurt though. Might be the angle of the picture, but the axles look a little far back

1965IHdiesel

Looks good cm! I like your trailer rack idea, that would be pretty handy! Sorry if i missed it, but are you going to do a steel floor or wood? We're the same way here, any structural steel never gets scrapped, the only problem is keeping it organized :)

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Looks good cm! I like your trailer rack idea, that would be pretty handy! Sorry if i missed it, but are you going to do a steel floor or wood? We're the same way here, any structural steel never gets scrapped, the only problem is keeping it organized :)

The floor is steel plate. The trailer rack wasn't my idea, my right hand man came up with that.;)

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
IMG_2564.jpg

Some pics of the finished product. The old hoist from the 1 ton dump works nicely after having the cylinder re-packed.

IMG_2571.jpg
The old tool box was converted to the electric over hydraulic motor box. Made a cover with lock to keep the battery from walking off.

IMG_2574.jpg
Cut a hole in the outside rail for the side boards. The angle is a little on the light side but it's what we had and we'll be the ones using the trailer.
IMG_2578.jpg

td25c

She turned out really nice CM !

I like the safety props & locking battery box idea .

The dump trailer will sure make a handy addition on job sites and at home .

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
She turned out really nice CM !

I like the safety props & locking battery box idea .

The dump trailer will sure make a handy addition on job sites and at home .

Thanks TD, it took a while working on it during jobs but it turned out nice. The maiden voyage was to my house to load up a bunch of crap that I have lying around.;)

td25c

The maiden voyage was to my house to load up a bunch of crap that I have lying around.;)

Now don't go gettin crazy with the new dump trailer and throw all the good crap away :D

Will you make a pintle hitch for the D5 & 953 to drag the dump trailer around on jobs ?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Now don't go gettin crazy with the new dump trailer and throw all the good crap away :D

Will you make a pintle hitch for the D5 & 953 to drag the dump trailer around on jobs ?

Funny you mention that. We did fab up a fork attachment with a pintle hitch we had lying around, complete with a safety chain to attach it to the skid forks just for that reason. It has come in handy moving trailers around the yard as well.:D

My better 1/2 is a thrower awayer, hence the maiden voyage to our house. She's out of town this weekend but she's rip roaring and ready to fill that trailer up with junk around the house. I just gotta make sure my precious "junk" isn't included..:p

Last edited: