1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Dump bed won’t lower

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by jkflatt, Jun 27, 2022.

1. jkflatt

jkflatt Well-Known Member

2000 international 4300 with a Rogers rock bed, telescoping cylinder. I was using it today to move some stumps (off road) with the tailgate down. I was dumping it on an incline dumping downhill (truck facing uphill)l and as the bed got 3/4 way up the load started sliding out and made the bed go up quickly and slammed, extended it to the max without the hydraulics. Now the bed won’t lower.

Any ideas what I need to check or do? I’ve used it recently several times this year hauling gravel and worked perfectly.
    Any advice much appreciated.

2. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

BE READY FOR IT TO SLAM DOWN AT ANY MOMENT, MANY MEN HAVE BEEN KILLED BY GETTING UNDER A RAISED BED. DON'T GET BETWEEN THE BED AND FRAME, EVER!
    Sounds like your cylinder is stuck. Your hinges aren't shot are they? this is just a cylinder and hinges, no scissor is it? Check your control valve spool, make sure it is moving. If it has the cable to pull it into neutral when you hit the top, it could have been hyper-extended, screwing something up. I would probably take that cable loose if down pressure and up and down didn't do it, and then try again.

I would make sure I had plenty of hydraulic oil in it, and hold it in raise till it hit the relief valve, then let it down a few times. If that didn't work, I would do the same thing with a hoe or something putting down pressure. It will probably come down with some down pressure.

3. jkflatt

Thanks for the reply and warning. Not a scissor lift. Got to be careful with putting down pressure with a hoe, i know someone that bent the cylinder. Will try suggested. Thanks..

4. jkflatt

Slight down pressure didn’t work. Afraid to bend cylinder if too much.

How does the control valve work? The cable pulls it out when it tops out, is it supposed to go back in by itself ?

5. jkflatt

Control valve was stuck back. Removed cable, cleaned around valve (small rock, dirt etc) could have been preventing it from coming forward. Slightly tapped valve with a hammer and started working.

6. 1693TA

1693TA Senior Member

FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
    A scored spool will cause that also.

muddog1975 likes this.
  7. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

glad you got it sorted. I drove an older single axle that would stick, and I would hook a chain on it and drive over the chain very carefully and get it started down that way. The cylinder needed a rebuild but I left them before that happened.

tpitt likes this.
  8. nowing75

nowing75 Senior Member

have had that a few times with the plastic piece that the trip cable ataches to. Hard to belive you coud get a stone in there

9. JPSouth

JPSouth Well-Known Member

Wow - it must be making the rounds. I was hauling demo materials today, almost done and the last load of demo concrete my control lever felt like the sliding valve on the Chelsea PTO stuck. I thought I could have a cable problem or even a scored spool. Gave it one last yank and lo and behold got lucky, box came up but then went a bit over center. Good rough approach road in the pit put it down without incident. Had to go home early, parked and started the hunt, tore down the center console looking for anything that appeared stuck. Pump sounded normal, and oil was good, no shavings on the magnetic catches by the filters. I was about to go from quiet desperation to inventive language, then went inside and did a quick hunt here and this thread popped up. Went back down to the shop, and all it took was two pokes with a small flat-bladed screwdriver and a rock about the size of a pea fell out of the two half moon pieces of valve shroud. How in creation it ever got in there, or even stayed where it was at, is a total fluke. Thanks, you guys - made tomorrow morning a lot easier to look forward to. To top it off, diesel fell a whole penny today!