• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dumbest trucker I ever met

cutting edge

Flagged down a trucker today running a B train of fuel....he somehow didnt notice the tie rod he was dragging down the highway.......

After I informed him,ever so politely,how lucky he was that he didnt stuffit in the ditch(bush roads and windy highway)....he asked me if he could just take the whole thing off and keep going:Banghead

What stupid trucker stories do you have?

(this isn't aimed at all truckers,just the dumb ones)

packratc

MMMMMMM? We must have a communication gap. What we think as a tie rod must be something else. A sway bar? Do big rigs have them?

Komatsu 150

Because of the caster built into the steering knuckle, I think it would work. the wheel would want to go straight and follow the other front wheel when you turn. Of course you couldn't back up (instant hard flop to one side or the other), don't dare touch the brake pedal, it would pull and wander and scrub, and feel terrible but wouldn't be noticed by some truck drivers I've known. I had a hired dump truck drive 10 MILES to our job with a rear wheel locked up. I had to loan him a couple of tires so I could keep him on the job.

grandpa

Well this truckdriver and everyone he was to meet that day on the road owe you a big thankyou for getting him stopped.... Thank You!!!!

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
I once heard about a J B Hunt driver who ran his truck into the ditch because his turn signal stuck. :D

fitzpatrick

Hi Vigilant: How big was that paddle? There's more to getting an education than just the 3 R's. LOL

I owned a Homelight saw when logging in Ontario for Weldwood. Couldn't wear it out but it sure wore me out. When I got logging on the West Coast here I was handed a McCulloch gear drive with a 44" blade. It had a very slow kick back. In fact everything about it was slow. I don't call a bar a bar unless I'm in a bar. I was trying not to think of those honky tonk women while at work. Got a nasty cut one day thinking about my English gal just at the end of the day on a Friday. 051 Stihl, kick back, no chain stop then and nearly lost two fingers. Rosie was so good looking I had to stop taking her out during daylight hours as guys were crashing into the car ahead due to her being 5' 10" tall, long legs, micro mini skirt and natural long white blonde hair. She moved back to England. I should have followed her. Never met a Limey I didn't like. Why is there no script? Can I get a re-run?

Back to Chainsaws. I still have a 2100 Husky I bought in 1985. Got it souped up. Bit of a jack hammer but man it could cut. Melted it twice on back cuts in big sitka spruce but only had to change the piston. The chromed cyl. was not scratched. Used acid to remove the aluminum. It was hard to keep it from pulling me forward if I didn't dog it when bucking a small, say 18" log. I had the rakers down a bit more as it had the juice. I always ran 404 skip tooth, chisel bit chain. The 3/8 would break but never broke the 404. I felled a lot of wood with that brute. Never missed a beat. Two or three pulls cold and one pull hot and it was barkin for more wood. I see it sitting in the corner of the shop. Hasn't run for 20 years or more. But it would after 3 pulls if I was up to it. Had a few 051's before that Husky and one 075 Stihl. The 075 was a great saw. Got a photo of me dropping a 7' spruce with the 075 in 1974. I heard some of them had soft cranks but not that one. After 3 years of steady use I took it in to the saw shop for a complete overhaul. I get attached to stuff that treats me well. After a month, just before I was to head out to camp again I dropped by to pick it up. The cranky old cuss who owned the shop, who will remain anonymous, showed me a box full of 075 parts and said it wasn't worth fixing. I told him I didn't care about the cost. We exchanged a few opinions. He picked up a new 2100 Husky all rigged up with wrap around handle and 36' blade. "Here, he barked take this and get back to work. Its a Husky, .....you'll like it!." He was right about that. He was a character, I was falling for him one time and my pocket watch quit 'cause I forgot to take it out of the little pocket it lived in and it got laundered like many others before it. He had entered my quarter to check on me and my work, I asked him what time it was. "I'll tell you when to quit" he barked. Ohh, I loved that guy. He was good to work for. LOL

Worked a short time , thank goodness, with an 090 Lightning. 14 horsepower! It was like a feller buncher without tracks and no bunching. Once it was dogged into a tree it got right serious about making sawdust. Packing it was the down side. I almost get teary thinking about those old days. Almost! It was great having a pain free body that went where it was pointed. I'm still mostly pain free but the final drives are getting a bit sketchy. I'm sure a lot of other guys got chainsaw stories as well. I would love to hear them.

Final word. I saw the pictures of the haul trucks in the mud at camp after Mt. St. Helen blew. Wow. I heard the explosion while having a coffee in the backyard about 10:30 ( I believe ) when logging way north of Whistler. We wondered who was building road that Sunday as it sounded like a distant powder blast. Later we figured out it was Mt. St. Helen. Bad news

Tiny

Not sure if he was goofy driver or a newb , Had a guy that we were trying to back in a tight spot . Tried 5 times to get him backed in . He just kept cranking the wheel too hard in what ever direction we pointed. I asked him twice if he wanted me to back it . Think that made him mad but he told me the his boss said no one but assigned drivers could drive the trucks . Finally I grabbed one of the guys I work with and came up with a plan . He crawled up on the step on one side and me on the drivers side . Both of us blocked the mirrors and I talked him back where we needed him .

Hendrik

Not sure if he was goofy driver or a newb , Had a guy that we were trying to back in a tight spot . Tried 5 times to get him backed in . He just kept cranking the wheel too hard in what ever direction we pointed. I asked him twice if he wanted me to back it . Think that made him mad but he told me the his boss said no one but assigned drivers could drive the trucks . Finally I grabbed one of the guys I work with and came up with a plan . He crawled up on the step on one side and me on the drivers side . Both of us blocked the mirrors and I talked him back where we needed him .
So he won't be doing this anytime soon? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBUvQ1WbQG4
Actually I am doing my MC license soon and have to back a B double 70 meters but only in a straight line:scool